Profit in Poker

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you think being profitable in poker is directly connected with how much money you can lose in the long run to make it to big wins during this period?

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
No, I do not agree with you. I am convinced that you can succeed and become a successful player without much financial expense. But in any case, you must be ready to spend time, at least 4-6 hours a day.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As Mike Caro points out, there's no difference in the long run between losing less during a losing period and winning more during a winning period.

With that said, I wouldn't think of it as how much money you can lose in the long run. Just that you'll have some losing periods as part of being a poker player and you're doing your best to minimize these losses.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, I do not agree with you. I am convinced that you can succeed and become a successful player without much financial expense. But in any case, you must be ready to spend time, at least 4-6 hours a day.
Yes man, I agree. But I did not say to spend a lot of money or have too much expense, but rather the fact that you have to deal with variations and consequently you have a bankroll control by that factor.
I do not know if you agree, but I think that's why bankroll control exists.
But it's always good to hear experienced players like you who can show me another kind of thinking that I still can not see

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Mike Caro points out, there's no difference in the long run between losing less during a losing period and winning more during a winning period.

With that said, I wouldn't think of it as how much money you can lose in the long run. Just that you'll have some losing periods as part of being a poker player and you're doing your best to minimize these losses.
But do not you think that bankroll control is directly linked to this?

navicula

navicula

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
During this time I played poker quite profitably, but with the condition of playing 4 hours - 8 hours like working people ... I prefer to take part in tournaments.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friends what I mean is this.
Example: You have $ 100 in your online poker bank. If you decide to play tournaments with $ 50 buy-in, your chances of bankruptcy are huge, do you agree? That's because you're dealing with a game that involves variation, luck, and chance. But if you play tournaments with a $ 1 buy-in, you'll play ten tournaments and get to the ITM on five of them, and then cover what you spent buyin and still be in profit. That's because you can lose $ 10 to get that long term profit.
Do you agree?

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Each player has his own goals, but money is needed by everyone. Personally for me, poker is a hobby, and of course I am pleased when I win money. I think your question is very individual. As for the financial expenses for training, I think that 20-30 dollars a month is absolutely enough to play, learn and improve the game.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And what it means to lose. You say we look at the long-term with a profit. So we will have no losses at the end of a long transition. So what kind of addiction can there be?

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Мне кажется, если в покерном банке есть 100$ , играть с байином в 50$ - либо величайшая глупость, либо человек просто хочет получить адреналин. К серьезной игре это отношения не имеет
Yes man. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
Each player has his own goals, but money is needed by everyone. Personally for me, poker is a hobby, and of course I am pleased when I win money. I think your question is very individual. As for the financial expenses for training, I think that 20-30 dollars a month is absolutely enough to play, learn and improve the game.
Yes, it is true, each player has his or her own style and individual goals, whether professional or hobbie.
But what I mean is just about what is taught in the books and articles of poker.
Playing with a lower buy-in to your bankroll is just how much money you can lose (from your bankroll) to achieving long-term goals as taught in the articles.
Thanks for your response

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And what it means to lose. You say we look at the long-term with a profit. So we will have no losses at the end of a long transition. So what kind of addiction can there be?
It is true
I think I expressed myself badly.
I think I meant investment.
No way did I want to talk about addiction.
I apologize to colleagues in the community. I expressed myself the wrong way.
I should not have used the word lose, but rather the word invest.
Sorry and thanks for your participation and for helping me to see in a different way.
Thank you

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, I felt like an idiot now
If we win in the long run, we will not lose anything.
The word I should have used is investment.
So, actually, it's how much you can invest.
A thousand apologies
[emoji106][emoji106]

L

LuckyGuy1313

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Friends what I mean is this.
Example: You have $ 100 in your online poker bank. If you decide to play tournaments with $ 50 buy-in, your chances of bankruptcy are huge, do you agree? That's because you're dealing with a game that involves variation, luck, and chance. But if you play tournaments with a $ 1 buy-in, you'll play ten tournaments and get to the ITM on five of them, and then cover what you spent buyin and still be in profit. That's because you can lose $ 10 to get that long term profit.
Do you agree?

you can look at risk of ruin and and standard deviation tables if you want to look at the technical side, but I believe that in a fair game over the long run good hands and good play will average out bad hands and bad pkay for profit. So what's your definition of the long run, playing 50$ tourneys once a month? 1$ tourneys twice a day?

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can look at risk of ruin and and standard deviation tables if you want to look at the technical side, but I believe that in a fair game over the long run good hands and good play will average out bad hands and bad pkay for profit. So what's your definition of the long run, playing 50$ tourneys once a month? 1$ tourneys twice a day?
I cited the values ​​as an example.
But André Akkari in an article with tips on how to become a pro, says it's important to keep a total value of buyin at no more than 1.5% of your bank, in this scenario.

https://aakkari.wordpress.com/2013/08/09/como-virar-profissional-de-verdade-parte-1/

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I do not spend money on the game. I do not see this need. Usually I play freerolls, and the money that I win, I spend on regular tournaments.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
I do not spend money on the game. I do not see this need. Usually I play freerolls, and the money that I win, I spend on regular tournaments.
Yes
I expressed myself with the wrong word. I meant investing.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you think being profitable in poker is directly connected with how much money you can lose in the long run to make it to big wins during this period?
I guess so. There is something in this, because it is impossible to win all the time, and no wonder there is a bankroll management. But if a protracted downstrik, so all the trouble, but if all the calculate correctly and play correctly after downstrik sure to be upstrick.

LeeCallaghan

LeeCallaghan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was tilt in poker and lost for blackjack. that is the truth!

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is necessary to invest even a small part of your money to be able to see long-term profits. It is as if it were a business and I believe that if it can be profitable according to how you invest it

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management is the key. If you follow strict enough bankroll management it will help you to overcome even long periods of downswings.

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

that´s a crooked question. depends if you are bad player having a good run sometime later or a good player having variance now and winning later.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I believe that everything depends individually on the player, on his skills, patience and discipline. At the moment, I do not see the point to spend money on the game, if you can play freerolls.
Good luck.

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game where a player will invest time and money in hopes of at least recouping the initial investment.
Cash game wise, it's how many bb/hour your winning that determines how profitable you are.
In tournaments, it's Return on Investment devided by average buy-in that figures your profitable or not.
Most text assume a 100:1 bankroll because on average, a player will only reach a 10% ROI.
They also acount for wide swings in bankroll variance, allowing a buffer for the downswings.
It's all dependent on personal preferance, and can be customized to fit what a player is most comfortable with.