Probability of going pro?

T

theresets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are there any real statistics on the likelihood of becoming a professional poker player. For other sports such as football, actual data is given to show how many players fail in their attempts to making it in the NFL and I was wondering if the same type of statistic is there for poker. What percentage of players are actually are able to make a livable amount of money in comparison to those who don't?

cheapseats76

cheapseats76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it would be difficult to only play cards and make a living. If you break it down you would only need to make 750 dollars a week to make 36K a year. Not a lot of dough but most americans make much less than this and support a family. To live comfortable I think if you made 2000 a week that would come out to 96K a year. As far as how many people succeed at playing poker for a living. In comparison to say football I think the percent would be higher cause there are more people trying to become a professional athlete than there are trying to make a living at poker. Funds is a huge variable in this as many people don't have 25 or 50K laying around that they could just blow in a worse case scenario. Is it possible sure likely probably not IMO. Good luck on the felts!

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's very difficult but not impossible

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very difficult for me at least, since I play (5 years) I earned around $ 4k, though, when I was maybe a little more effort I managed something, if I perfected a little English and understand what they're talking about coaches probably would have had more success.

Sonny87

Sonny87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My chances are 0.0000000000000001 but ill keep trying.

skavenger

skavenger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there is yes ... but I'm not sure what it is ... I think ITM for tournaments ... but you need to compare several data to know if that player is profitable in the long term ... but it is possible yes ... The issue of being labeled professional is just an option.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have never seen data for professional poker players !!! I think you will not find an answer where there is evidence for the Olympic champions in any sport))) all depends on the person and his desire to win !!!

Fernanda37

Fernanda37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just few player can be a real pro, just a small porcentage. But all depends of your willpower, nothing its impossible when you really want something ;)

A

avderevo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think anyone who can professionally learn to play poker, but professionals are a very small number

Senneville

Senneville

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are there any real statistics on the likelihood of becoming a professional poker player. For other sports such as football, actual data is given to show how many players fail in their attempts to making it in the NFL and I was wondering if the same type of statistic is there for poker. What percentage of players are actually are able to make a livable amount of money in comparison to those who don't?

What I thing is in the NFL you start young to set you at the good way and good institute. In poker is a lonely path. Lonely learn and lonely win.To be good at the sport you need to practice as many hours you can. For my side I try to analise all hand I can. Why why and why. if if and if what is happen if.....
And you know I thing the defete mental is the same if you fail. But one is on your pocket and the other is in your head. And sometimes both are right.

GL to your game and happy new year

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man to go pro, i think it takes a lot of time and focus on the game. Let's say you use to play poker for 5 years, but never went too deep on studying and learning stuff, you will still not be as good as a player who plays it for 1 year but studied the most he could in this period, but still this second guy is far from being pro or living of poker. I mean, you have to work on it a lot, and it's not just a lot, it's like a very lot hahaha

YoSoyMarce

YoSoyMarce

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can play better than a poker pro, but the odds are usually not on the player's skills, the odds are on how you manage your bankroll

Odysseus101

Odysseus101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is of course no such data because everyone who plays, either online or in real life, dreams of making it as a pro player.

This is like asking who becomes a pro at buying lottery tickets. In pro sports you can trace it back to the juniors or farm leagues or whatever to get some kind of statistical basis. That approach cannot be applied to poker.

vitja0101

vitja0101

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
read more books about poker to watch how the pros play and play more and all you get

Sonny87

Sonny87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slim to none for me, but ill keep trying.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is a difficult undertaking. Will have to devote time to poker. Poker becomes a job. Between hobby and job is a huge gap.

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
crisis reduces the number of professionals

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, to answer the question posed, what is the probability of going pro, we must stick to the well rehearsed mathematical formula of probability.

I see there are two possible outcomes in this scenario.

1 = going Pro
2 = not going pro.

Therefore the probability of going pro is 1:2

Good luck

BB

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say it's around 2% chance of becoming a pro. Although this could change depending on many things.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldnt want to go pro. I think it would be more fun sneaking under the radar.

alar2080

alar2080

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends of many factor: bankroll, time to study, time to practic and luck of cource

Sonny87

Sonny87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slim to none, but ill keep at it. Hopfully one day.

grinya774

grinya774

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm unlikely to go Pro, because I do not seek. But I think that people who do really want can become a Pro