Are preflop charts a scam?

Ventoman777

Ventoman777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps, the maximum benefit from them is received by multi-tablers. However, when connecting each additional table, such a player still loses part of his advantage.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop charts allow you to make decisions that are close to optimal. But they don't guarantee you success postflop.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say that they may be over rated, but not necessarily a scam. They are very good tools for new players to get in the right "ballpark" with their game. The bottom end (say the bottom 25%) of any of these ranges is really up for debate and not very relevant, and would explain why there are so many different views about the bottom end of these ranges.

Knowing the logic that built these ranges and how much your seat really changes your range is most important. The BTN/SB/BB charts really are the charts that are the most suspect to me. I understand the logic that makes some of these so wide, but investing in very poor EV hands is still illogical at some level. If we know our opponent will fold to pressure the chart is meaningless anyway.

sanych

sanych

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A well-placed preflop is already a start of success, but do not forget that there is still a postflop :)

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the pre-flop graphics show you a trend, it doesn't guarantee a good result!

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Preflop charts only show you a trend, they do not guarantee success.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They give a percentage of the correct decision, only your intellect does not develop from this, since you get used to living by prompts. The reality will eventually be different.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
As per others, they serve as a guide for folks. If you wish to find your true trends there is software for that, your own notebook and notes, and also if you are a member of intertops, you can see how you are trending and in what positions; pretty cool. It's your own private poker fingerprint. These are just some ways for acquiring a person's own preflop decisions madeand learning how to improve.

Bottom Line - I agree with others; not a scam.

Dan'O

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are not a scam in the long term they will be profitable for your game, you are creating discipline in the way you play as it should be.

Do not get carried away by the results, worry if your line of play was correct if your movements were optimal, do not be fooled by the short-term results remember that there is variation in poker and more if you play in the low limits so it is Time to accept what happens with a bitter taste and keep improving to level up and be in a field of players who do play ABC poker and do not wonder so much about this topic.

Last edited:
MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They're a good starting point. But then skill, luck, and pure "WTF" come into play and the starting hands become mostly irrelevant.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. They are a good start. Not a scam but an aid.

007Leon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't tell you, I never use them, but I'm gonna research about it

Entrik

Entrik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for me, yes, how many times it was with me that my card got out on the turn and then there were different combinations, but the opponent didn't have anything at all and I was angry so ... :( :( :(

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Good for beginners maybe but with experience you won't need anything like that , you will know without even thinking about it if you would want to take that hand further

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't call them a scam. They are useful, but shouldn't be followed blindly, you should adjust for the situation.

That said, given the amount of preflop charts available for free, it may well be appropriate to call paid preflop charts a scam!

D

DavPerz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just another tool for your toolbox. You want to be a varied and balanced player. That means not getting into the habit of doing something one way all the time. You don't want to always follow the charts, because people will know if you are raising out of the SB to fold. Use that to your advantage. Like maybe that's the time to launch your all out bluff with 27o.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have found that the range list of cards listed here is very helpful. I have used it to make my way through ACR freerolls and kept chips enough to make the money on a now regular basis. It may not be a lot of money and I might not be flashy, but I am being steady. Is it going to be helpful as I move up, most likely not. That said, they have their value.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop chart - this is on the chart. The game is quite different and AK can lose if the board is 238J4. It's better to trust yourself. Build your game, for example I build my game in chess. I don't play ready-made systems and I don't ride on well-trodden skis. I make my own systems. So preflop charts help you, but not the other way around. That is, you should not rely on them. Poker is a game of chance! That is, the case determines the alignment, such as chaos. And only by the power of thought, we can control the layout on the board. Whoever is stronger will win. This is the essence of professionalism and skill. Well, let's say I can pull out of the deck the card that I need. I, god. I can do anything. That's why they say Mind Games. It doesn't matter which card. Although 2 AA look formidable.

dominisantus

dominisantus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the charts are just charts, then this is normal, especially for the novice player, because the experienced player simply remembers these charts (or similar ones), and the beginner needs to be peeping.
So there is no crime in this. The charts themselves do not give any advantage, the main thing is how you play with what you have.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I suspect as English is not your first language the use of 'Scam' is too weighted and not correct in this situation. I think you are asking just how useful pre flop charts are.

Truth be told, I have often found myself playing on auto-pilot and then realized I needed to go back to fundamentals - the first time was reminders about position.

You take the basics for granted and presume your play is always on point - it generally isn't. So I go back to fundamentals regularly and of late have been referring to preflop charts and found them very grounding. Again, we tend to think we have hands nailed, but then I find myself hazy in some areas. To go back to charts and see where and when I should be playing A 10 off is of real value.

The fact that many here seem somewhat blase about charts is fairly amusing to me because they would have proved invaluable to one and all at various times. Polk and Negreanu actually discussed their use for their heads up challenge and whether or not they should be allowed. They might have been more sophisticated versions but the point was they prove useful.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, the preflop charts on cardschat have given me the complete option to get to final table if I choose, I broke them down and seperated them into separate sections per postion and printed them around computer monitor...I posted about it before. Combine that with Dan Harrington's book on tournaments, yes I can get to final table if I care to anytime I like. (working on bluff game ATM)

I am not here to be an online cool guy, I am here to study for live games. But if you want to get to final table online, do those two methods and you will get there as you please:)

Don't you love my honesty?

Last edited: