57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I learned a little bit more about PLO thanks to this thread. I think it will help improve my game. I still like holdem better though.

N

needcoffeesendhelp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just watched my first PLO tournament. I appreciate (in an amateur way) the difficulty of it. You can't just shove - takes patience and winning over a large percentage to win the tournament. Having said that, entertainment-wise, it was a beat weaker than NL.

sinatruces

sinatruces

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLO is a fascinating game - but many players don't know how to make that transition. Here are some tips:

Pot Limit Omaha vs No Limit Holdem

Have you ever tried to play PLO? If so what other advice do you have for players wanting to test the waters?

yes i played too much, omaha have huge variance about wining or losing. so have more stressful game .
if any one want playe omaha must have iron mind to dont be mad or tilt

D

danielcai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think exploring into different kinds of poker games might help improve your holdem skills. I have learnt mostly the concept of blocker in PLO, and I think it is highly applicable to NLHE too.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To learn/build bankroll, I try to play low variance freerolls, so I prefer holdem.
Switching between holdem and plo is fun, a pleasant change.
Only PLO freerolls I'm aware of are at unibet.

N

naddyone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I totally love PLO.I suck at both so I can spend time on PLO.Unfortunately I can only play when time permits so not many opportunities arise because holdem is king and I enjoy that form of poker as well.Man the variance in PLO is to die for.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
frankly I've never played Pot Limit Omaha, No Limit already, but few times, it's not my forte.
I liked the article the way he treats the game, it seems to be equal to no limit the fact is only that the pot has a greater control of the bets, I think it would be difficult to play at home with friends therefore, we should always pay attention to get lost values.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Very informative as always. Many high stake regulars fire some PLO MTTs now and then simply because the fields are significantly smaller and softer. So this is an ground with some good money out there!

I have tried PLO in the past but as I understand now I just clicked some buttons without knowing what I was doing :D . But the next time I will be more prepared!

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
PLO vs. No Limit Texas Hold'em Poker. New players are now looking for a way to bet that offers them a better chance to win and we are now seeing more and more players who are transitioning to Pot Limit Omaha.

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never understood Omaha. For me it looks more like lottery. When I played Omaha by calling everything - caught everything, was chip leader. When I played tourneys by counting chances - was eliminated at the very beggining. Always.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't say much about Omaha, Still in Holdem. But maybe after I become more experienced I would like to learn some Omaha.

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not just PLO - but any PL game is a great way to start for anyone if it their first time playing poker .
It helps you learn your hands as it is a slower game , and you can bet and not have to worry that others are going to keep pushing you into calling more then you want to bet.
PLO actually is fun as it gives you more outs then you would have with NL poker.
( I have even played PL Holdem to )
I like Omaha and enjoy any chance to play it - even if I don't do well in it . I just have fun period.

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd pick No Limit Hold Em over Pot Limit Omaha any day.
I've only played PLO a couple of times and just couldn't make of it. I understand how to game goes, I just cant get used to it. At times I get mixed up playing PLO.
I have no problems with No Limit Holdem. I play well , I play good, I get money from it …….
So Holdem over PLO !

F

FloppyNutzs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Transitioning from one game to the other is not necessarily easy. I truly enjoy the both games but have Omaha requires a higher degree of discipline and focus in my opinion.

Since everyone is holding more cards, player have more options. When you have something like two pair or even a set with a board that has possible straight and flush options the odds of someone completing the straight of flush hands increases greatly when compared to holding just two cards in Hold Em.

If I had any advise to give, it would be about pot control. If you hit the nuts on the flop it might not be the nuts on the turn still, and probably won't be the nuts on the river. So, don't get all raise happy because you have what was the best hand after the flop. There are still two cards to come Omaha is truly a game of draws. The nut hand is likely to change on every street.

Also be careful when playing straight and flushes against a paired board. A paired board in Omaha generally means full house.

Avoid counting possible dead cards as outs. For example, if a card can give you the nut flush but would also pair the board yielding a possible full house should not be counted as an out. It is likely someone out, but probably not yours.

Do some research and be prepaid to jump into the action. It can be fun and profitable. The games are different, so adjust accordingly.

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do enjoy playing Omaha, especially hi/lo. Sometimes if I am having a rough run of luck in NLHE, a short break from that with some PLO8 gets me out of my funk and back into the groove. I do mostly play more NLHE because of the ease of finding a game.

vovqa93

vovqa93

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
About Plo and NLH experience

I am playing PLO and NLH. Tournaments mode - only Holdem, but maybe will implement Omaha tournaments in my schedule also. Can say that swings in PLO is alot bigger than in Holdem, big wins or big looses) You can get alot action in Holdem too, but in PLO big bots are almost in every hand, especially when people love to gamble with medium-power hands )
Enjoying both games. Who didnt play PLO yet - you should try!

Helloween

Helloween

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I play pot-limit Omaha. I really loved this kind of poker for a long time. The only problem is that I can play it only on the Internet.

kittykittykat

kittykittykat

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So many people play Omaha like they would Hold'em.
You should never push preflop it's the flop that determines your hand. It's not unusual for a full house to be beaten by larger full house or quads. Since you get four down cards and can only use two, look at them as couples and count your couples, pairs suited connectors. A good starting couple in Omaha 8, is A-2 suited. I love when I get that one.

P

Pocket Wolff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
PLO is a fascinating game - but many players don't know how to make that transition. Here are some tips:

Pot Limit Omaha vs No Limit Holdem

Have you ever tried to play PLO? If so what other advice do you have for players wanting to test the waters?

,plo is really fascinating especially for those who got bored with nhe, but it is really frustating when you have the nuts on the turn just to get busted on tge river[emoji13]

Hackerosito

Hackerosito

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
although I like the game PLO and its emotions, I lean for texas holdem without limit, thank you cardschat for this article of good strategies and advice, I will apply it and keep it in mind. sure many agree on this, this community gives us so much, that it is even a poker university.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Actually, I have to tell you, that I had times, when I was really messing around at usual NL-Holdem games, I started freerolling at PLO at Full Tilt. And somehow I was winning there and I learned to love this game. I was often among the last 10 players,

Unfortunately I did not dig further to this game and I think meanwhile many others are much more advanced in this game, because time passed and times changed. There are people who pretty much know, what they are doing in Omaha. Nevertheless, I still play from time to time some freerools...

But there is one thing, that I just can't do, mixing up Omaha with other games. I am just not able to multi-table with one Omaha table beside. It makes me complete crazy, altough I think, this kind of game really has its own attraction and I would like to dig deeper. But then I can play only one table. :p

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I immediately fell in love with PLO and PLO8 as soon as I got acquainted with them and learned the rules.If I'm asked what game do you like more PLO or No limit hold'em?My answer is the PLO.The game is dynamic and very interesting.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the variations of Omaha. When online poker was booming in the U.S., I was playing everything available. Badugi, Razz, Stud , Omaha.

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

Hello there.Each game has his own beauty .Pot limit omaha promises to give you emotions and big action....A lot of time from Nutts flop you can loose and the opposite thats why you cant just check a flop at omaha if you are nutts.I think you need to gain skill and practise more in order to be a good player at omaha than at texas holdem .Good luck for every player at each game .

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules