Position from which you play

D

DerlyGR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does it affect a lot if you are in the big blind, small blind, after the big blind, two after the big blind? how does it affect? Talk to me a little, please thanks

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it DOES affect a lot. I try not to play from EP but when I get a good hand ofc I do. I'd rather play K4s from BTN than QQ from UTG, and it's not a fairytale. Your position is your power in poker game. Sometimes it matters more than your own cards.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Does it affect a lot if you are in the big blind, small blind, after the big blind, two after the big blind? how does it affect? Talk to me a little, please thanks
Your question is an important one and if you learn this concept you will be a winning player. First, study the CC poker course, download the MIT poker courses and look up everyone you would normally play against/with in sharkscope (and possibly some other trackers). Play within a known group like the CC free rolls and you'll get to know their style of play...this is a lesson in itself. Once you start appreciating the texture of the table, the texture of the board (and your table image) you can then start discriminating between luck and consistently good plays. This is where table position matters and you will understand why relative to game, antes, blind levels and time, early/middle and late game tactics. Considering only holdem, what's the buy-in, who's in the field...etc...
Talk is cheap, put your money where your mouth is, invest the time actually playing and ask questions as specifically as possible, compare theory and experience, get a tracker like PT4 and learn to analyse your games and finally good luck..if bad luck is evenly distributed at the table the more skilled players always win.:cool:
I forgot to add, choose a site that caters to your style of play..look up PokerScout. Different sites have a different demographic so you need to understand yourself, your bankroll and what you're getting into. Distilling this ..888 provides a lot of choices for small games...pokerstars will provide opportunities for life-changing wins and it is in these games that every facet of poker is exploited (online and live..study the poker stars replays especially!!). I hope this response provides you with a few checkpoints to cover. A final suggestion, play each position differently but consistently and when you get a handle on this start multi-tabling..2,3,4..games at a time. When you get comfortable doing this in larger games you will appreciate why it's important to understand the kind of waters you're in and the advantage of understanding mathematics and psychology...worthy of degrees, look up the U of Alberta computer games..poker.

Last edited:
Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Position`should be an important part of your entire strategy while playing poker and should never be over looked or underestimated.
It can often give you the edge needed to overcome position unaware opponents.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This has little effect on my decisions. But it is more profitable to bet last when you see what others have done.

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
position >> cards >> stack size >> position

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should be able to play from anywhere, there are just different ways of playing different positions

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Everybody has their favorite betting positions. The best is BB followed by the seat before, the cutoff. In those two seats you are the last to bet and will see what others do before you bet. Saves you chips.

SecksyGambler

SecksyGambler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/

Position based strategy is covered by CardChat's 30 day course. It's the first day of the course. It goes over some general guidelines to how you should play differently in different positions.

I can also recommend the other 29 days if you're really feeling crazy - it's a very helpful tool for newer players.

Austria7

Austria7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is definitely a difference between playing in and out of position. In early position I almost only play premium hands ... it is very difficult to play with small pairs or suited connectors against multiple opponents. In the blinds or in late position it is easier to play with such hands.

sara maria

sara maria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on cash if it affects a lot, instead in a tournament you have many opportunities to wait for a good hand. ;)

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HELLO ladies and gentlemen! For me it is more comfortable to play in late position, you can enter with a weak hand if the stack allows, which often brings good results, because opponents do not expect 7-2 or 3-8 in the game.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Obviously, the range of hands to open in poker depends on many factors, including your position at the table !!!

AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, this greatly affects my game. The later the position, the weaker cards I can enter the game, and from early positions, not knowing the actions of my opponents, I enter the game only with very strong cards.

leifen

leifen

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
For me, positions is importend on how I play. I find it harder to play early positions, and normaly in early positions I ask my self Im I prepare to go all in before I make a bet. On late positions I can play alot more hands. And of course, my stack is also a part of taking those desitions.

ivanlt18

ivanlt18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being in late positions means that you will be acting after all your opponents, which means you can get a lot of value off your bets, maybe bluff a lot more than you could in early positions. Because even before you get to play, you have a lot of information to play with.
Although there are several concepts involved in this matter, make sure you're doing the CC Poker course in this forum, you will be learning a lot about position and other important aspects of the game.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
the game

over the past couple of years poker has been a big teacher in the fields of patience and the ability to calculate ones odds and deduce situations

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no

for me it doesn’t affect much depends on the hands I take if I see good cards it doesn’t really matter where I am

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
position is very important and it will affect the game in wich you are playing, on how agressive you should play a hand or calling a raise for example, iis based on your position! do some research and im sure it wont be hard to find answers and charts on how to play your positions on certain hands.

4give4live

4give4live

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Position in poker, especially online poker, is often just as important as hand strength. You need to take CardsChat poker course if you are a beginner. You can create your own personal thread and upload your hands there. You will definitely be helped to figure out what's what.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi friend.

It affects the fact that if you are in an early position, you can give your opponent enough information to bluff you.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think anything about this subject there's in the cs course. Anyways its a good subject and definitely can boost the game to anyone willing to learn about it

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Position matters a great deal, as does the amount you already commited to the pot.

There is out of position (OOP), the Small Blind is always guaranteed to be first to act on all postflop betting rounds, so they are 'furthest out of position', the closer to the button the less out of position and the more in position you are. So from most to least OOP in a 8 9 handed game are SB (small blind), BB (big blind), UTG (under the gun), UTG1 (under the gun + 1), UTG2 (under the gun + 2) , LJ (low jack), HJ (hijack), CO (cut off), BTN (button).

There is 'In Position' (IP) - in which case you are the last person to act and thus have an information advantage, and if everyone checks before you can decide to check behind which garuntees you to see the next round. The BTN is IP on all post-flop betting rounds, which is a major advantage. However if the BTN folds, then the next player closest to the BTN is in position.

There is another way to be in position which is 'relatively in position' - for instance if there is someone who always bets, and you are the person to act immediately before them - then you are relatively in position - because you are last to act after they bet,

The SB and BB already have 1/2 and 1 big blind invested. So even though they have the worst position - they can play a larger percentage of hands due to their excellent preflop pot odds. For instance in a single raised pot with a raise size of 2.5 blinds, the big blind has to pay 1.5 blinds, and thus needs (1.5/(1.5+1.5+2.5) = 27.3% equity to call. And if there is an ante even less equity to call. 72o has 30.23% equity against a 60% of hands openning range for the BTN. So the BB has enough equity to play any two cards.

However the BB should adjust their calling range for 'realizable equity' (If 72o hits a 2 or 7 on the flop, it will likely to fold if the BTN bets the flop and turn, thus even though it might have the best hand it has difficulty 'realizing' that equity, whereas AK can call a flop and turn bet, and thus is likely to realize its equity)

The BB also has the advantage preflop that if only one other player is in the pot, his call closes the betting round and he gets to see the flop. Any other position has to worry about the BB or other players raising the pot.

.Other positions the 'first after the button' is called 'under the gun' (UTG) have bad position and they don't have any money invested yet - so they play an extremely 'tight' range, depending on how many players are to act after them. In a 9 player game, UTG might play 5-13% of hands.

The player after the UTG player is sometimes called UTG+1 (or UTG1) in 9 handed, but would be the 'high jack' (HJ) is 6 handed. They are still significantly OOP, but less so than UTG so can play slightly more hands.

The closer one gets to the BTN the more hands one can play, often the BTN can play at least 60% of hands.

J

jesusali1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have a special position in which I play, I play from any position, but it also depends on the situation, if I have a bad day that I can't complete good hands, then to bluff I have to play from the BB to give an All In.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
The position at the table plays an important role, it allows you to make a decision depending on the play of your opponents in front. The strength of your hands allows you to play from any position:)