Poker vs 9-5

grindmylifeaway

grindmylifeaway

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing poker live and online for years and lately I have been wanting to make it more of a full time gig than a hobby. Im single w/ no kids at the moment and Im done with school and love to travel. Are there any Pro's or Full Time players on here that could offer up any advice?? Horror stories, or anything you feel like you've learned you wish you could have known about prior... thanks a lot!!

vapandrei

vapandrei

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Single, no kids, done with school... and you want to pick up a full time poker job. Well, hmm, it doesn't sound promising. How will you maintain an existence after you'll (most likely, sometimes) burn through your BR? Unless you have parents (?) or something that can sustain you until you (may or may not) become a pro player.. I don't know.

grindmylifeaway

grindmylifeaway

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Single, no kids, done with school... and you want to pick up a full time poker job. Well, hmm, it doesn't sound promising. How will you maintain an existence after you'll (most likely, sometimes) burn through your BR? Unless you have parents (?) or something that can sustain you until you (may or may not) become a pro player.. I don't know.

I do have a job - so I was thinking about easing my way into it gradually - plus I live 15 min away from a casio so I can also play live and online - I also own my house so I dont have rent just utilities, land taxes, buy food and random stuff. Im doing it regardless - I was just looking for some insider tips really - im kinda set

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As long as you don't take on any debt or commitments, you should be fine. Don't quit your job unless you have to, if you do don't burn any bridges.

The biggest thing would be just to go back to work if your BR hits 0 and not take any debt. Hopefully someone who has done it will post their views as well :)

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been playing poker live and online for years and lately I have been wanting to make it more of a full time gig than a hobby. Im single w/ no kids at the moment and Im done with school and love to travel. Are there any Pro's or Full Time players on here that could offer up any advice?? Horror stories, or anything you feel like you've learned you wish you could have known about prior... thanks a lot!!

Don't do it...... Keep your job play for a hobby. Study poker as much as you can while working, if you prove to be profitable and can make 1K-2K a month as a hobby, and you can put 6 months of full living expenses aside for savings.Along with a 30K starting bankroll. Then you can CONSIDER quitting and making it full-time. However I still say Don't do it. Work and have that gtd. money while also having poker as a side job. Who knows maybe one day you will luck box your way into a high gtd. MTT hit a 6 or 7 figure score and get staked and be able to actually make it..... highly doubt it.. but it's possible.

grindmylifeaway

grindmylifeaway

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback. Im really in no rush so I'll just take it one day at a time and see how it goes