Poker Traditions

U

UberPokerFan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seeing the thread about gender-neutral cards got me to thinking about poker traditions and how or if they are changing. Do you still adhere to traditions? Do you say "deuce" and "trey"? (If you don't and play live, do others give you a hard time about it?) Do you still call the cards as they come out "streets"? In live play do you stop talking if other players are in a hand? (This 'no talking' tradition has been disappearing for years.)

Are there any other traditions you see as disappearing?

I'm guessing that some traditions will start disappearing (if they haven't already) due to the younger players entering the game now.

My response is No to deuce and trey but I don't play live. No to "streets". Regarding talking, Yes, if I ever get to play live.

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tradicion

Seeing the thread about gender-neutral cards got me to thinking about poker traditions and how or if they are changing. Do you still adhere to traditions? Do you say "deuce" and "trey"? (If you don't and play live, do others give you a hard time about it?) Do you still call the cards as they come out "streets"? In live play do you stop talking if other players are in a hand? (This 'no talking' tradition has been disappearing for years.)

I'm guessing that some traditions will start disappearing (if they haven't already) due to the younger players entering the game now.

My response is No to deuce and trey but I don't play live. No to "streets". Regarding talking, Yes, if I ever get to play live.
if it is to analyze with the evolution of the generations not only the traditions of poker are ending more in many other things several traditions are disappearing

Hitmanshoot

Hitmanshoot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if it is to analyze with the evolution of the generations not only the traditions of poker are ending more in many other things several traditions are disappearing
I agree with u cause we can apply this theory in everything today...new generations are changing ther world...poker include.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not only the old traditions are disappearing but also the game of poker has changed a lot with the new generations with their new strategies and new styles of players that seem to be giving them good results, it is a new breed of "shark" that has changed the old customs for new customs and it is time to adapt to that new style of play in order to compete at the tables, in short it is the evolution of Poker.

deputat777

deputat777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Traditions before and now have radically changed. So did the players. Now there are many additional programs. Now it's easier to start playing poker than it used to be.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously, each language, each dialect has its own characteristics. But I usually prefer the usual and widespread English terminology.

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The terms are used in traditional imprecise transcriptions: instead of street-street, instead of flash-flush / flash.

Royal Flush or Royal Flush - "royal suit"): high (ace, king, queen, jack, ten) five cards of the same suit, for example: T ♥ K ♥ D ♥ B ♥ 10 ♥.
Straight flush or straight flush - "suit in order"): any five cards of the same suit in order, for example: 9 ♠ 8 ♠ 7 ♠ 6 ♠ 5 ♠. An ace can either start an order or end it.
Four of a kind / Four of the same rank): four cards of the same rank, for example: 3 ♥ 3 ♦ 3 ♣ 3 ♠ 10 ♣.
Full house / Full collection / Three plus two - “full house”, “full boat”): for example: 10 ♥ 10 ♦ 10 ♠ 8 ♣ 8 ♥.
Flush or Flash - "suit"): for example: K ♠ B ♠ 8 ♠ 4 ♠ 3 ♠.
Straight or Straight - "order"): for example: 5 ♦ 4 ♥ 3 ♠ 2 ♦ T ♦.
Set / Trips / Three, for example: 7 ♣ 7 ♥ 7 ♠ K ♦ 2 ♠.
Two pairs / Two deuces / two pairs of cards, for example: 8 ♣ 8 ♠ 4 ♥ 4 ♣ 2 ♠.
One pair / Two / for example: 9 ♥ 9 ♠ T ♣ B ♠ 4 ♥.
High card / kicker does not have any of the above combinations, for example (the combination is called "ace high"): T ♦ 10 ♦ 9 ♠ 5 ♣ 4 ♣.
In some variants of the game, the For Flush combination is also used - four cards of the same suit and one card of a different suit (provided that no other combination was created)

E

elpolloloco95

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer playing poker after having a delicious meal