Poker, Sport or Game?

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was wondering at how you look on playing poker. Do you play for just the money or do you wish to dominate because it's a competition?
The money for me is a way to keep score. I play poker because of the competition factor. It's a need to win and to get better till I win at most games. I have played at most games this way, focusing in on my flaws of play and bringing them up till I win consistently.

For me, in the long run, poker is then a sport, to be played till there is a winner,(me). I guess that's also why I like tourney play better then straight games. There is one clear winner on top.

JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am the same very competitive in all the sports I play especially golf and poker now that's about all I can do at my age LOL but golf and poker makes me some cash which is always good but to win when doing it is the bestest thingy to do.

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have always been of the opinion that any game that one can play with a beer in your hand and a cigarette in your mouth is not a sport. I can see the logic of calling poker a sport, but it just doesn't work for me.

-n

holduplaya

holduplaya

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its unknown

BUT i say its a sport game like Hockey its considered a sport but it takes a Game to make a sport. :p

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nateofdeath said:
I have always been of the opinion that any game that one can play with a beer in your hand and a cigarette in your mouth is not a sport. I can see the logic of calling poker a sport, but it just doesn't work for me.

-n

Ive played golf like that !:p

tribal_kronic

tribal_kronic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
celtsoxpats said:
As much as i love poker i would have to say that it's a game. There isnt anything physical in poker. You are not moving around at all and u arent using your body to win the GAME! Id like to hear more ppl's opinions on this.:cool:

Chess is a sport, yet it requires no physical action.

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tenbob said:
Ive played golf like that !:p

well, you know there are some people who might argue that golf is not a sport, though not me. When i play i always have to put my beer and cigarette down before i swing. and i've never even heard of chess being called a spot, though i wouldn't argue it.

technicaly, Webster's dictionary defines a sport as any recreational activity, game, or competition requiring bodily exertion.

i think one can play a game and want to be the best at it. if you want to call poker a sport, i think you would also have to include such games as billiards, darts, bowling, even blackjack, craps, roulette, backgammon, scrabble, fox hunting, competitive spelling, competitive eating, heck even video games as sports as well, as they require just as much, if not more, bodily exertion as poker does. i'm not arguing though.

-n

Last edited:
Bill_Hollorian

Bill_Hollorian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Neither.

Poker is a love affair...

If you dont take it seriously it is no fun...

If you do take it seriously, it will break your heart.

-Bill

DESSERTLADY

DESSERTLADY

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bill_Hollorian said:
Neither.

-Bill

Great quote Bill :) Sounds like my relationship with poker that's for sure.

BBB,

I have to say myself Sport. I know you are sitting for hours at a time (and you may be able to smoke and drink beer at some places) but when your heart pounds from the adrenaline(sp)rush and if you are playing for a very long time fatigue sets in(such as at the wsop(not from personal experience just read that several times). It's a sport. I very much like the competition(money is just a bonus!!!)

C

cybul

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, how you can call poker a sport. You're not doing sports playing poker.
It's maybe a fight or even a war a psycho war.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Webster definiton of sport is:

a source of diversion, physical activity engaged in for pleasure.

In that case, I say poker is a sport.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To Tribal, chess is a board game, not a sport in my opinion.

Sport to me means physical activity. Banging your head against the wall or kicking the dog after bad beats don't count.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitions of 'sport' (spôrt, spōrt) - 15 definitions - American Heritage Dictionary

sport (n.) Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
sport (v.) To play or frolic.
sport (v.) To display or show off:“His shoes sported elevated heels” (Truman Capote)

So it is a sport.. it is physical.. not very.. you do move your arms..it is goverened by a set of rules and it is competitive.

tribal_kronic

tribal_kronic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gfpokerfan said:
To Tribal, chess is a board game, not a sport in my opinion.

I found this article by Alan T. Sherman that I think does a great job of proving that sports don't have to be physical. I also believe you can apply this article to prove that poker is a sport.

The fact that various sports directories exclude chess is not evidence chess is not a sport; instead, this omission merely reflects that large segments of our culture do not currently view chess as a sport. The National Sports Federation of the netherlands, however, classifies chess as a sport, and chess plays a significant role in many atheletic departments in Belarus and in other eastern republics. Many people consider chess the national sport of the former Soviet Union.

The ancient Greeks greatly valued activities of the mind and included a variety of intellectual performances (including poetry reading) in their sporting events. Negotiations have been underway to make chess an Olympic exhibition sport.

The noun sport comes from French and Latin as a contracted form of the verb disport, which means to make merry. Thus, the core meaning of sport is simply pastime, diversion, or recreation. Like many other sports, chess is also a game (a competitive activity governed by rules) and a competition (a rivalry involving the demonstration of skill or ability). Futhermore, and typically unlike ice-skating, chess is an adversarial sport: the outcome of each chess game is profoundly affected by the opposing interaction of the players.

Chess requires extreme physical demands: a single game might last six hours or more, and several such games might be played in one weekend. A study at Temple University reported that tournament chess caused physical changes similar to a comparable session of boxing or football. For these reasons, chess competitors undergo extensive physical conditioning.

Though chess is not a physical sport, it is nevertheless a sport. I refer to it as an intellectual sport, because chess depends crucially on abstract reasoning.

mets40

mets40

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The question is not the definition of sport, but the definition of poker, and as per Merriam-Webster:
Main Entry: 2po·ker
Pronunciation: 'pO-k&r
Function: noun
Etymology: probably modification of French poque, a card game similar to poker
: any of several card games in which a player bets that the value of his or her hand is greater than that of the hands held by others, in which each subsequent player must either equal or raise the bet or drop out, and in which the player holding the highest hand at the end of the betting wins the pot

Very clearly it is a game.

Rockbuster

Rockbuster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bill great post. I enjoy poker it relaxes me and I love the competition........Rock

talkpkr2me

talkpkr2me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe Bill gave the definative answer...nice one Bill!

~~Shelynn~~

~~Shelynn~~

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rock you and I are on the same wave link with poker,relaxing, competive an it's such a rush when you nail the hand. Like a cat playing with a mouse but not eating it,just yet! LOL

theBullet

theBullet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tribal_kronic said:
Chess is a sport, yet it requires no physical action.
there are no odds in chess. its a mental sport. if one is willing to gabmle and rely on luck in his game where luck and gambling are a big part of it , that right there kills the whole idea of a sport. poker is not a sport - u cannot know what the next cards are going to be - u can only know what odds u have to win while in chess if u are good enough u can set up the game in your favour with your first move. same thing with blackjack....u can count cards and calculate odds but u have to gamble...only true geniouses can beat the blackjack game... and i am willing to say that balckjack is closer to a mental sport than poker....cheers:hello:

Gizzi315

Gizzi315

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bill_Hollorian said:
Neither.

-Bill

I like it! And VERY true!

El Viajero

El Viajero

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I vote for 'game'.

I reckon those who are claiming it to be a sport are physically incapable of playing sports and want to claim that they are at least good at one 'sport' ;) Just kidding people.

As for golf... hmmm... it's a sport in the loosest sense. And I agree with the person that said there's no other way of playing golf than with a beer and a fag in each hand!

P

pimpim

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would go for game.. this is my argument: (I just grabbed it out of the air so please correct me cause I'm probably wrong...)

Since the cards are randomly distributed you base your decision on statistics when you play poker. For me it is a dynamic mathematical problem. I have never heard of a sport where you make all your decisions based on mathematics. Therefor.... a GAME!

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never heard of a sport where you make all your decisions based on mathematics.

Golf is based apon math.. how many yards determines which club you use.
Every shot taken is based apon #'s

Pool is always based apon angles.

Darts, Horseshoes are others that are based apon math decisions.

I could go on..:)

Crippler450

Crippler450

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its an intellectual game of skill. The only physical attribute really involved in being a good poker player is endurance. You have to be able to be alert and awake for hours on end (if you play for extended periods of time). I would never refer to poker as a 'sport', but thats just me.

Top 10 Games