Poker by country

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Saw a post called global poker and thought it was going to be this but it wasn't.

Anyway, here's the question: Do different countries have different Poker scenes?

Which could be along any lines, such as:
More (or less) cash games played?

More (or less) high stakes games played?

More (or less) Hold 'em?

More (or less) aggressive play styles?

Anything that differs one country from another.

And also..... is this all being diluted with online poker, just followed a tourney (in pokerstars) and the amount of different flags was amazing!

SecksyGambler

SecksyGambler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't speak in terms of table poker. But, I know that online poker has a lot of variance depending on how accessible the site is in different parts of the world.

A good example of this would be how America's cardroom (and Black Chip Poker) are the primary site used by American players. Therefore, the site determines a lot about the players. For example: ACR rarely hosts and tournaments with more than a $500 buy in. And thus, high stakes poker players are harder to come by on the site. People who are determined to play high stakes could just move out of the country to continue their poker career. And as a result America has ever so slightly fewer extremely high stakes poker players than it would have otherwise.

I'm sure there are slight deviations between different countries and groups outside of ACR. But, I have no concrete evidence that these people play any differently because I've never had the chance to go toe-to-toe with them.

Last edited:
N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Considering the fact that the local laws and customs are different in every country it is inevitable to also have differencies in the way people play poker. I dream about world where poker is regulated globally and we have one huge worldwide player pool and platform to play on but this will not happen anytime soon.

MikeDTT

MikeDTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here in greece we're playing a lot of poker and lucky games as well.