Poker Phrases in Other Languages

C

CutterJohn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
We all play people from around the world and it's nice to be able to communicate with them, at least in poker phrases.

I'm putting together a list of poker phrases and terms translated into multiple languages to later publish online for everyone's reference. I need help though since many poker terms do not translate easily.

If you speak a foreign language (any language), please reply with translations of the following phrases. Feel free to add new ones if you want. This is just for starters and will add new terms later.

Nice hand
Nice suckout
Nice river chase
Donkey
Bad beat
Pair
Flush
Straight
Full House
Well played
The Poker Gods are smiling on you/me.
Why did you check/fold/raise?
I'm on tilt.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Perfect Pyre. There is really no need to have different phrases in every language imaginable in a thread, if you found out someone you were playing was from a certain country, google translate is going to be much easier to navigate to and copy/paste what you want into the chat that searching in a thread for the specific phrase you're looking for.

Also, mikejm, no need for that.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was in a ring game on ftp the other day and these two people from Russia kept talking in Russian. I would just google translate everything cuz they would start talking whenever the cards would dealt... the one guy said like "2 coins" and than went allin, and his buddy folded and he got a caller and his hand was pocket Tens.. so I was thinking maybe "2coins" is like Russian slang for pocket tens?

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gday, I dont know how anyone else feels about this, but, as far as I knew, the really big sites are all English speaking sites. So why dont they speak English, or maybe the sites should have their own Translaters. Either way I dont think we should have to translate while playing a final table for example. That would be a waste of time, not to mention annoying, especially in a multi-tabling situation.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of sites have an English-only rule, but a lot of players either aren't aware of it or choose to ignore it.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From CutterJohn:

If you speak a foreign language (any language), please reply with translations of the following phrases. Feel free to add new ones if you want. This is just for starters and will add new terms later.

Nice hand bon main
Nice suckout bon porte vert
Nice river chase bon cape fear sur la rivere,, vous avez cochons sur toit
Donkey un heehaw
Bad beat mal dommage
Pair les hooters
Flush quel language, o moi!
Straight pas gay
Full House chez moi
Well played bon temps jouez
The Poker Gods are smiling on you/me. mervieulex par les grandes kebobs pour moi
Why did you check/fold/raise? Est tu un heehaw?
I'm on tilt. Je comme la Pisa
:beer:

C

CutterJohn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Google Translate it Sub Par for Colloquialisms

Google Translate does not do a very good job of translating poker colloquialisms. Something as simple as "nice hand" will translate as a pleasant hand (as in appendage).

That's my point with asking for true, local translations rather than literal.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We mostly use the english phrases in germany too.

Nice hand
Nice suckout
Nice river chase
Donkey
Bad beat
Pair - Paar
Flush
Straight - Straße
Full House
Well played - Gut gespielt !
The Poker Gods are smiling on you/me. - Die Pokergötter sind dir wohlgesonnen.
Why did you check/fold/raise? - Warum hast du gecheckt / gefoldet / geraist ?
I'm on tilt. - Ich bin auf Tilt.

:)

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all play people from around the world and it's nice to be able to communicate with them, at least in poker phrases.

I'm putting together a list of poker phrases and terms translated into multiple languages to later publish online for everyone's reference. I need help though since many poker terms do not translate easily.

Nice hand-GA-UN-FII-Un
Nice suckout-SEE-Fa-Un-AH-OOOO-Kah-Wa-TAI
Nice river chase-WA-KA-DAA-WA-OR-A-DAAAAA
Donkey-Damaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr
Bad beat-A-KHAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXXX
Pair-Hal-Ga-Un
Flush(There is no such word)
Straight(Toooos also can be pronounced Toss)
Full House-Goooo-RIIIIIIII-BOOOOOOOOOOOO-HUN
Well played-SEE-Fii-Un-A-Oor-E-Yar-Ta
The Poker Gods are smiling on you/me. (Really Too much to type out)
Why did you check/fold/raise? (Same as above)
I'm on tilt.
-Wa-Ha-Nacks-Un-Ha-Hi

I speak Somali and Gl saying some of those words in our Language:p

serendipity

serendipity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a professional translator, I can assure you that Google translate is mostly worthless for translating terms like this. Nice hand = Pleasant appendage is an excellent example of the nonsense you will get. If you want to see just how bad it is, take an every day colloquial phrase and translate it into another language, then cut and paste this text once more to be translated back into English and you will see what I mean.

Actual example using Google translate

I had a sick bad beat and then started spewing chips (translate to Spanish it becomes)

Tuve un mal golpe enfermos y luego comenzó a arrojar fichas

(translate back to English and it becomes)

I had a bad stroke patients and then began throwing chips

serendipity

serendipity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Spanish ones I know....

Nice hand -- Buena mano
Nice suckout
Nice river chase
Donkey
Bad beat
Pair
Flush -- Color (flush draw -- proyecto de color)
Straight -- Escalera
Full House -- Un ful
Well played -- Buena jugada
The Poker Gods are smiling on you/me. -- Los dioses de poquer te/me sonrien
Why did you check/fold/raise? -- Por que has pasado/tirado/subido?
I'm on tilt.

wrung24

wrung24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Nice hand
Nice suckout
Nice river chase
Donkey
Bad beat
Pair
Flush
Straight
Full House
Well played
The Poker Gods are smiling on you/me.
Why did you check/fold/raise?
I'm on tilt.

I'd be glad to give you the translations in french but the truth is there aren't any, the french are just too lazy to invent them. So whenever they need to use one of these terms they just say it in english with a stupid french accent

For example : I'm on tilt = je suis on tilt

PS : despite what I've said in this post, I have absolutely no problem with the french, they just suck ...

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a professional translator, I can assure you that Google translate is mostly worthless for translating terms like this. Nice hand = Pleasant appendage is an excellent example of the nonsense you will get. If you want to see just how bad it is, take an every day colloquial phrase and translate it into another language, then cut and paste this text once more to be translated back into English and you will see what I mean.

Actual example using Google translate

I had a sick bad beat and then started spewing chips (translate to Spanish it becomes)

Tuve un mal golpe enfermos y luego comenzó a arrojar fichas

(translate back to English and it becomes)

I had a bad stroke patients and then began throwing chips

Good point!
I'd be glad to give you the translations in french but the truth is there aren't any, the french are just too lazy to invent them. So whenever they need to use one of these terms they just say it in english with a stupid french accent

For example : I'm on tilt = je suis on tilt

PS : despite what I've said in this post, I have absolutely no problem with the french, they just suck ...
Lol. Wrung you're wright...again:D

G

gtrippp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it only really seems 2 be a problem w/ ppl speaking russian. that's about all i've really noticed doing that.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
-Wa-Ha-Nacks-Un-Ha-Hi
[/color]

I speak Somali and Gl saying some of those words in our Language:p

Come on Naruto.... don't go tellin' this guy how to tell everyone to fk off on the tables. lol

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
We mostly use the english phrases in Germany too.

Nice hand
Nice suckout
Nice river chase
Donkey = Esel
Bad beat
Pair - Paar
Flush
Straight - Straße
Full House
Well played - Gut gespielt !
The Poker Gods are smiling on you/me. - Die Pokergötter sind dir wohlgesonnen.
Why did you check/fold/raise? - Warum hast du gecheckt / gefoldet / geraised ?
I'm on tilt. - Ich bin auf Tilt. (=Ich flippe aus)

Daniel is right - mostly we do use english .

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Oh.. I know!!! Quite a popular one you'll see written on the tables for the Spanish-speaking players (& one I'm sure many get sick of seeing on FTP) is vamoooooooooooooos (can anyone translate?)

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh.. I know!!! Quite a popular one you'll see written on the tables for the Spanish-speaking players (& one I'm sure many get sick of seeing on FTP) is vamoooooooooooooos (can anyone translate?)

Let's go.