re: Poker & Poker Mindset Questionnaire Part 1 (yes, cake, bastard, all there!)
1. Skill. Short term luck will help out the vast majority of players but only long term skill will make a serious
poker player a profitable player. Those who rely on luck will lose in the long run.
2. Without a doubt skill. In a major sport you wouldn't be recruited because you had a tendency to get lucky, skill is what gets you recruited. Same for the pro poker player, skill is what makes you a pro and skill is what will keep you as a pro.
3. Yes, it varies. I don't consider poker a gamble myself. I play a game which requires logical deduction, mathematics and many other strategies, therefore I believe for me poker is a game of skill, not a gamble. Depending if you are philosophical or not whether it's a gamble I guess. So many say "Life is a gamble", "getting in your car and driving to work is a gamble", etc; So it varies on your philosophical viewpoints.
4. Absolutely! There are those that take poker seriously and those who don't. That's really the simple difference to me.
5. No. Not in the way sports are currently classified. Sports are physically active games, like football, basketball, etc; The dictionary says "athletic activity requiring physical prowess...".
5. Yes and no. I'd like to see the WSOP
listed as such. ESPN airs it, Fox Sports airs it, etc; Large poker tourneys like the WPT & WSOP are very competitive, so are smaller ones. I wouldn't mind seeing Texas
Hold Em listed as a sport. It wouldn't break my heart though if it never was classified as such.
6. Since I was a little kid. I started playing for real money
in real home games (not just games with mom & dad) at 16 so 21 years now I've played seriously.
7. All the above.
7 a - I prefer a few of the forms. Online because I don't have to leave the house, convenience in many forms, can play multi tables at once. Casino because I am good playing live, good with reads and enjoy the atmosphere. Home Games because they are so fun.
8. 20-30 hrs online per week. 20-25 hrs per week casino. 4 hrs per month home games. So about 40-50 hrs per week on avg.
10. Not online. Yes to live play.
10 a - Always.
11 a - eventually. I love to play it and I'd rather work for myself making money doing what I love then working somewhere I hate or don't like for a guaranteed pay check.
13 a - read books, read articles online, participate in poker forum
, watch videos, etc;
14. Yes. There are many who treat poker like a job and get paid very well doing it. I realize for some it's just game, but for others, it's a career.
15. As a whole, telling joe q public that you are a poker player is the same as telling them you are a drug addict. As a whole, most of society labels poker with preconceived notions of gambling addicts. They don't research it or try to properly understand it in order to make informed decisions.
15 a - Absolutely not! Some members of society are too quick to jump on bandwagons about topics they truly don't understand. I won't allow another to make up my mind on a topic, I prefer to research it myself and draw my own conclusions.
16. Yes. It's a game. You don't have a problem teaching your child to play candyland, chutes & ladders, uno or go fish, so why have a problem teaching them the card game of poker?
16 a - Sixteen. They are old enough to drive and go to work, they are old enough to play for money in a controlled environment like a home game.
17 a - Yes - in casinos and at home (but only if homeowners aren't taking a rake).
17 b- Yes and no. It's not officially a state law in Michigan
saying it's illegal to play poker online but with the UIGEA I foresee it becoming one.
17 c - Yes I want poker to be legal online.
17 d - I have joined the PPA and written letters to my congressman and state representatives.
18. Brownies! I love cake and pie as well, never tried bastard. But with brownies you can cook "things" into them (well, only when I was younger, not now). The most compelling reason brownies are the obvious choice is you can warm them up, layer ice cream, hot fudge and whip cream on top! Mmmmmmmmmm!!!!!