Poker: Luck or Skill?

glafef

glafef

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd say if you don't have any luck it doesn't matter how much skilled you are. And if you don't have any skill it doesn't matter how much luck you have.

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
id call it 70-30 in favor of skill. believe the longer the tournament lasts the more skill is needed.

H

hookmeout

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its both. In the short run luck might have a play but in long run skill matters

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is obvious that poker is a game that requires a thorough skill. I think that on average 75% is skill and 25% is luck.

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for me, luck plays a huge role in one of two tournaments, but if in twenty tournaments, all the same experience, but practice shows that not many poker players are constantly in the black

P

Percivalpl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the long run returns its skill, but a in a single game luck is very important, skill just increases your chances

Ignoramus380

Ignoramus380

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 51% is skill and 49% is luck!

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's a bit of both, luck and skill

andsws

andsws

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
Online 60% skill - 40% luck
Live 90% skill - 10% luck

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of skill if you play regularly and a game of luck if you play 1 tournament in a week!

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
In the short term Luck 90% Skill 10%. In the proverbial "long run: Skill 100% Luck 0%
Hey
I would disagree on the long run i would give skill 90 to luck 10.
I respect your opinion.

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning, the player usually hopes for good luck. Just think, even the most uneducated novice one-on-one can beat the best player on the planet!
You need to play thousands of hands to skills began to prevail over luck. However, if you have won one hand, it is totally wrong to attribute it to skills, but if you made a profit after 100k, then you are an experienced and skilled player.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online 60% skill - 40% luck
Live 90% skill - 10% luck

Hi There
I agree with you on that
Online depends on luck al teh time once you see such bad plays
coming you way and players going allin with cards that you would not never play

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

x% Skill
x% Luck

and most important....

x% Patience

agree?

rgds

ReoRekop

ReoRekop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
something that can not be escaped, and with the help of common sense easy to beat

I

insaneiam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm gonna go with both luck and skill. It takes luck that you get the right cards to help and make the hand your after, but it takes skill to not blow your stack when you get outdrawn..lol

hutzpaf

hutzpaf

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hard Evidence: is poker a game of chance or skill?

Drawing on a database of 456m player-hand observations from a year’s worth of online games, we first investigated how consistent player performance was. This revealed substantial evidence of the role of skill in successful play.
For instance, players who ranked in the best-performing 10% in the first six months of the year were more than twice as likely as others to do similarly well in the next six months. And, players who finished in the best-performing 1% in the first half of the year were 12 times more likely than others to repeat the feat in the second half. Meanwhile, players who fared badly from the start continued to lose and hardly ever metamorphosed into top performers.
So we know for sure that poker can’t be a game of pure chance.
http://theconversation.com/hard-evid...or-skill-39224

Pepitcho23

Pepitcho23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
50/50! If you always have bad game in your hands, you cannot wait the end of your stack . You have to play if you want to survive. It's more easy when you got lucky. You have to use your skill if you don't have luck. That's why I like poker , cause sometimes you have to use your skill many hour before to touch big hand. Your skill help yourself to survive when you wait few hours.
After all game is different, all depend of your games!

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Will mastery come and good luck. "Fools are lucky" in poker does not work, too long distance to the end of the tournament.:confused:

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Well my friends, the time will come when the statistics of results will be so obvious that no one else can challenge poker. Unfortunately many countries have not yet opened their eyes to poker, brazil is one of them, these countries are missing an excellent opportunity to develop their tourism, reduce unemployment and improve education.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter how well you play, without luck you will not win anything, I think that it is luck and luck are above the skill of the game

W

who115

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say 75% skill and 25% luck.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No matter how well you play, without luck you will not win anything, I think that it is luck and luck are above the skill of the game

Hi There
It doesn´t make any sense if you only have luck cause when you get a skilled player
he will beat you without any doubt
Rgds