Poker: Luck or Skill?

LenilsonF7

LenilsonF7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Despite Poker have a wide acceptance today, still have those who insist that poker is a game of chance.

Many classify Poker in the same mode that blackjack or baccarat. What in fact these so that put poker in this category, do not know that he is in Sport mode of the mind, along with chess, backgammon, the lady and others.

The poker player need to master various techniques in order to be well sucescedido as: "Math Concepts and psychology."

If of good or bad luck, how could we explain the fact that the same play get several thin tables of the wsop, the world's largest poker tournament, such as Phil Hellmuth, with the incredible number of fifteen bracelet?

E

eyeluvpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live poker I would say 75% skill - 25% luck. online poker maybe the reverse. People are much less likely to donk off their chips live where online any two cards for most!

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
It takes a lot of luck. But without a skill, and discipline, you can lose the tournament and if you have luck. So recently I did, just did not have the patience)

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Half luck and have skill ......... with the "bigger half" being skill.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a game of skill but sometimes a bit of luck and fortune as in life but if you do not have the ability to bluff you will always be lucky if you do not have the ability to bluff not always bite and you will win good grounds
:)

Z

Zhud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at a long distance in poker a big role is played by skill
for a short fortune

U

UDN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A very strange question. This opinion is shared by people far from poker. Saying that, they don't even take into account the world tournaments and stuff. I have relatives who tell me that poker is a fraud, there you shake the money. Of course the game has a share of luck, but again, this luck and there are statistics. Let's just say luck can be accompanied by the skill of the player, but a lucky player without knowledge and skill you will not become famous and even earn money on poker.

B

babaesa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely skill

In my opinion its 80% skill 20% luck if it was not why always the same people in final tables

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that in live poker about 70% of skill and 30% of luck, and in online poker probably 60% of skill and 40% of luck, maybe I'm wrong but in my online poker games are just like that!

P

panost

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online we need hundreds of thousands of hands as soon as possible until the odds are verified and they are true. Until then it can be 70-80% luck.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in a tournement 70% luck 30% skill, in a hand, 80 skill, 20% luck.

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both ... .. I believe there is more luck involved then poker players want to admit and there is more skill involved then non players want to admit.

bablo

bablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More skill than luck, luck is only a small part to be a successful player, it is more important to be able to make the right decisions in difficult hands.

clubsta

clubsta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100% Poker = 45% Skill, 45% Luck, 10% Rake.

Haha yes rake indeed!

In my live home games I'd say it's a bit more skill than luck--it's very clear who in our group are the "best" players as we tend to finish 1st-3rd way more often than the rest of our players.

Online... I don't know. So many factors including various corruptions in the poker room. I win more often in my live games than online.

Rackbone

Rackbone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact that variance exists surely points towards a bit of luck being part of it. Sometimes when you're sun-running it feels like 50/50 skill and luck.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Despite Poker have a wide acceptance today, still have those who insist that poker is a game of chance.

Many classify Poker in the same mode that blackjack or baccarat. What in fact these so that put poker in this category, do not know that he is in Sport mode of the mind, along with chess, backgammon, the lady and others.

Poker is mostly a game of skill, especially for cash games. There is obviously a great deal of luck in the short term. If you make all +EV choices, you will win in the long term. The skill comes from being able to use all variables and knowing which decision is +EV. Tournaments change things a bit because of the rising blinds/antes and also the payout structure. However, even with tournaments, you can play in such a way that is +EV. You might play 10-20 tournaments without cashing and then hit a huge payout. So, there is a different kind of variance. People who think playing poker is like play Blackjack clearly don't understand it. In Blackjack, there is an optimal way of playing that does not change. In poker, many variables (number of players, playing style, your perceived playing style, stack sizes) are constantly changing, which changes the optimal way of playing.

D

droozy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live poker is a game of skill, there is no doubt. Poker is psychological game where you need to manipulate with opponents, read tells and play according to that. The longer the duration of the levels, the more skill you need, ergo, slower game favour better players.

R

Riomaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's 51% skill. If you've ever once went in without the absolute nuts, you're playing to some luck.

ff48

ff48

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
55% Luck in poker is needed only when you go all-in preflop with pockets against fish.