Is poker by luck

chatocham

chatocham

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think so.Luck is a word that makes part of poker.It's almost impossible to win a big prize without luck.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say luck is a significant factor in winning but to win often takes immense amounts of statistical and strategical skill.

well_cap1302

well_cap1302

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's more skill and strategy than luck.

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I can definitely say that I believe in poker math, its dispersion, expectancy etc. And it seems to me that the luck is a reflection of your level of poker math knowledge. Wouldn't you think?)

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People say poker is by luck is that true?

It is 20% luck and 80% skill, is why you see a lot of familiar faces deep in a tournament. You have to know how to extract chips with a good hand, utilize position, sense weakness etc. I have gone deep in tournaments with average to below average cards.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. Luck in the short run, skill in the long run.

J

Jeffbento

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely skill in the long run.

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop is mostly luck ,post -flop and turn cards are more skill then luck and river card is usually luckier then skill but all points of the 5 cards have skill and luck its how you play the hand gets you your outcome . gl

bablo

bablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, it is necessary to have a lot of luck for the victory and even more skill in the game.

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will say 70% skill and 30% luck .. why ?
Simply if you watch poker at the highest level , big tournaments and pros , usually the same players reaching the final tables and winning most of the time , why ? is it because of luck , I don't think so , they can't be lucky every time that means , they know how to do it , they have some skills , strategies and knowledge that guide them to final tables and winning big.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a skill game that has a luck factor for sure. You have to hit your draws and play your cards correctly which ultimately is a combination of the two. Although the least skilled person can get lucky and run good in a tournament and get a win. Long term it will take skill to succeed.

F

frigid0

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
50/50

I'd say is 50% each. In general, theoretically speaking, you have up to 99% chance of winning in poker. btw decisions you take while you play can lower this chance A LOT. :D These decisions are not based on luck but on strategy. But then of course as long as cards u get are concerned, it's totally random luck. :D

xxxREAPERxxx

xxxREAPERxxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is about half luck and half skill,1 time in a live game i flopped a set of aces and slow played,my opponent went all in and flipped his cards i didnt show mine yet cause i think its bad luck,he flopped a str8 to the 5 and told me i needed to pair up.He knew what i called with...On the river my case ace hit and i threw my cards on the table and said I DONT NEED TO PAIR UP..lol

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People say poker is by luck is that true?

Is it luck that some of the more skilled players stay at the top of the field? Question is, how much you attribute that to luck. Has to be a very low percentage if the better players continue to have consistent results.

steve22055

steve22055

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If any of you truly believe that poker is a game of luck, then I would love to have you playing on my table so I can take your chips. While luck plays a small part in the game, your skills will take you deeper much more frequently than luck will. Hope to see you on the felt!

R

RicardoTolfo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dude ... poker's got luck involved but also a lot of skill together! Whoever says poker is pure luck is loser! Do not even go with them ... hehehe

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll here different things from different people but anyone that says luck doesn't matter in poker doesn't know shit about poker, and that goes the same for those who say theres no skill. I would say its about 40-60% luck and vice versa (even tho some days it feels a lot more onesided). Any poker winner of any kind gets lucky (even if they played well) and say that they got lucky along the line of the tournament, cash session, etc.

Totally agree!

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think so, i think that people that play like rely on luck :) i think real players play the players, so no luck there :)

G

Grindzhard

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck has very little to do with the overall outcome of your success (or lack of). 2s7h vs AcAd the 27os will win almost 14.5% of the time. You could say that the person playing 72os got "lucky" but exactly how long will that player continue to win? Not very! Sure in you deal out 2 cards face up and run the board out, yes, it's all about luck. When I play live at the meadows in Washington PA, I do very well, but I can almost guarantee you that I win almost as many hand with the "worst hand" as I do with the "best hand". Stick to the math and your "reads" (If that ability in something you trust or believe in about yourself) and in the long run luck will have less and less to do with it

V

vladikov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's true that poker is a game of luck, but not always. Sometimes you can beat the player without relying on your luck

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, there is an element of chance in poker. But more depends on skill play. Although no surprises no cost.

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a combination of: Psicology > Skill > Lucky

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not luck but skill. Luck plays a major factor in the short term results of a game or tournament but skill vastly determines your results over the long term where luck does not