Is poker an intellectual game?

Ventoman777

Ventoman777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What place should take poker in this series? Chess, checkers, backgammon, dominoes. Some equate it with chess, which of course causes laughter, well, at least a smile, for me just above backgammon, because of the possibility of bluffing. By and large, you just must guess whether to go with this hand to the bank or not. All poker schools create the appearance of an intellectual game, they are created for the popularization of poker, it is learning, learning is such a smart game. Or maybe it's still a separate kind of game?

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey.
For me, this is a tough question today. Once I was confident in the intelligence of this game. But lately, I began to strongly doubt this. The fact is that one of the most important factors in the intelligence of the game is the number of smart players. But maybe I am mistaken that most likely.
It is impossible to compare poker with other games. This is something else. There is a big factor - good luck.
While I think about it and did not come to an unequivocal conclusion.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If chess and poker were personified it would look a lot like Einstein and Freddy Mercury. Although the veneer has some similarities, in its greatest form chess is absolute order and poker is absolute chaos.

There's no way to analytically rate one better than the other because they are such disparate disciplines. All of the GTO stuff going on is an effort to push poker down an intellectual hole it doesn't fit that well in.

No one has ever responded to a Sicilian defense with "I don't think he has it this time" and no one has ever blitzed a bishop think their opponent would "lay down" his king.

If you'll allow a couple more mixed metaphors (because I think I'm being clever), there have been occasions where a player has sacrificed a rook in order to set up a "squeeze play" on a "later street".

::groans from the gallery::

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many of the best players have been mathmeticians. Stu Ungar had a photographic memory and could count cards in a 6 deck shoe and tell you the last 2 cards. He won three wsop Main Event Championships so intelligence, mathmatical prowess, and strong memorization skills can at least put you way ahead of the game.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Undoubtedly, I think poker is an intellectual game. In my opinion, it is not right to compare poker and chess, because it is totally different games in the context of strategy and tactics. But it is obvious that both of these games are highly intellectual.

A

Aiur128

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is a game in which the luck factor decides about winning, for example if I get good cards all the time with luck, there will not be a chance even the best poker player, in chess I can not count on such luck

maezma

maezma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think it has any comparison with chess. Chess is a game of strategy and pure mental ability where luck does not intervene. Poker is a game of discipline and strategy where luck intervenes. The best player does not always win, they do not always win the best cards. A game based on probability and statistics will never be 100% strategic since it is an inexact science and will depend to a greater or lesser extent on luck.

Regards.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is definitely an intellectual game but non-comparable to other games overall. In chess you see everything, all the pieces, entire board. In theory you can see all the possible outcomes, depending on how many moves in advance can you see.

In poker you don't see anything. You need to rely on probability and chance and figure if your hand is strong or not, at least is it strong enough to make an action or otherwise.

The only thing I would say is similar is the learning curve. Put enough time and effort into it, and I believe one can become an above average chess player or a good profitable poker player just the same.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker is an intellectual game, because player's actions and decisions influence the outcome of the whole game.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, if you do not follow the rules and use a certain strategy of the game,you will not win,then it's still an intellectual game!Everything and everywhere matters,it is necessary to anticipate the opponent's move in advance to be ahead of him.logic and thinking are appropriate-so the game with meaning and very deep,and not as it seems at first glance.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is like chess because of the strategic part of the games but as far as poker goes it is much more mathematic than chess is. Yes both games are thinking mans games as far as moves go but your poker moves are more connected to odds and outs of math than what is the other players next move going to be. So in that aspect of the two games I think poker requires more skill than chess .

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
It is difficult to compare poker with some of these games as pj: Chess, checkers, backgammon, dominoes. The answers will always be different depending on who you ask and how much knowledge the person has about poker ... I have studied poker a lot, and I also consider myself a good chess player ... From my point of view I can say that poker is an intellectual game .... I say this because I try to make every move I have a justified reason ... the same happens with chess ... I mean ... you should not make a move just by intuition or feeling .... always have to see beyond the immediate play and have a good reading of your opponent ...!

D

Davlic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a card game where you can bluff. Nothing to invent.))

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can get luck in poker not in chess:):):)

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I definitely think poker is an intellectual game. How smarter is poker than chess or checkers ??? If we compare the cold and warm water, how much they are more humid from each other ??? ))))

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

I play all of the games you mentioned on different days of the week and/or time in the month and enjoy them all. By the way, you can throw bridge and darts into the mix as well. They each have varying levels of luck and skill and should be appreciated for what they have to offer.

One thing holds for all of them though. They are all social games and when you come across someone with a bad attitude, poor sportsmanship or manners - it takes away from the the experience and the quantity of those poor characters may even take away from the sport as a whole.

Each game has a different thrill, rules and strategy. Let them shine in their own circles. :)

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of intellect just like chess. Dan Harrington, for example, is a world class poker player as well as a chess master.
There has even been articles of chess players moving to poker because poker simply pays better.
Here's an article from 2011 but there's many articles like this over the years which have been questioning the correlation between poker and chess. Both are games of strategy which requires skill, patience and discipline.

https://www.pokerlistings.com/why-are-chess-players-winning-at-the-wsop-78304

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of intellect just like chess. Dan Harrington, for example, is a world class poker player as well as a chess master.
There has even been articles of chess players moving to poker because poker simply pays better.
Here's an article from 2011 but there's many articles like this over the years which have been questioning the correlation between poker and chess. Both are games of strategy which requires skill, patience and discipline.

https://www.pokerlistings.com/why-are-chess-players-winning-at-the-wsop-78304

Poker does require some skill, but it does not require much. If poker was a skill game, we'd have the same names on the final table of wsop every year. It is not even close. You cant be behind in chess and just move all in to get leveled.

Alex1296

Alex1296

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, intelligent poker game becomes only when you play with good players at tables with large limits. When same you play in poker tournaments with low limits there only luck will help you achieve what the. Even if you play tight and freeze someone going to move your aces with 7 2.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
being smart deffinitely helps you with ur game :p id say that it cant reach the intelectual level of chess (i think nothing can, chess is on a hole new level, a complete game) but it is an intelectual game or a game of intelect, amongst other things

L

lezghin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no poker, this is not schachmaty..that the element of luck is more important .. well, we must be risky, a psychologist or be very patient

L

lezghin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
more precisely, I wanted to say ... that you need to be more careful and understand when the opponent has cards, when he is bluffing ... but it's impossible to foresee everything ... there is more excitement and people like to win ... but do not like to lose no one.....

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know if poker is an intelectual game, but I know that it's easier for me to beat strong opponents in chess, however in poker I can't tell that I have many that many wins. I Just know that in poker you need to be skilled and to be mentally strong

Top 10 Games Poker Tells