Poker insults, you're a donk, bad, you're a fish.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am sure anyone that has played any poker has had these words thrown at them. But why is that even consider an insult? It is like telling someone your are bad at cycling, or fishing. Yes, we all been there, we are learning. The pros were bad at one point or another.

But why is it on a poker table being "bad", is seen as a negative thing. I usually reply, "yes I am, I am trying to be better." If I bother to reply.

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every good player used to be a bad player. We all start somewhere.

I think it's foolish to insult bad players because bad players are what makes poker profitable for the good players in the long run.

I get called a donk sometimes but I just hide my chat 99% of the time.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everybody is different think some people can get upset because they are losing money venting or maybe underage if resorting to severe childishness or they are on an upswing getting ahead of themselves thinking they are best players in the world who knows.
Normally the person being abusive is just wasting their time and look bad.
Mostly these type of comments are just harmless poker lingo though.

rustixxx

rustixxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am sure anyone that has played any poker has had these words thrown at them. But why is that even consider an insult? It is like telling someone your are bad at cycling, or fishing. Yes, we all been there, we are learning. The pros were bad at one point or another.

But why is it on a poker table being "bad", is seen as a negative thing. I usually reply, "yes I am, I am trying to be better." If I bother to reply.

Yes, these are clues to your actions or decisions, but don’t pay attention to it, everyone has their own tactics. but still it wouldn't hurt to watch a video or read about poker ...

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
I have either turned off the chat like ps has or always hide all the chat . I never ever see what others say about me .. I don't care about mod chat as well . so it does not distract you at all.

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t think that fish is considered an insult to poker. Sometimes you can hear worse words in your address.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever I listen to or read these insults (to use an expression) at a poker table I just don't pay attention to it, in poker as everything in life is a learning process and the true image that you should care about is what you have You yourself of your poker skills to be able to criticize your game and to improve every day what the rest of the people say simply does not matter

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's stupid. When you insult a bad player it might actually make them want to improve their game. You insult them, tell them how bad they played a hand, I've literally seen people giving free coaching while berating a player. Dumbest thing ever. It's counterproductive. Anger is a powerful emotion. Sometimes it supercedes intelligence.

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Good day sir.
I’ve noticed it’s the bad players who think they are good that throw out the insults.
When ever I was called a donkey I kept replying in two messages;
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
aaahhhhhhhhhhhhh
On 888 where they can see my nationality and assumed hair colour I say,
Yes I’ve big RED Irish balls

ajtrevor

ajtrevor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been called a fish many times and I think it says more about the person saying it then how I am playing. They could be frustrated or just had a bad beat but usually they are just upset and take it out on others.

Slav4obaby

Slav4obaby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I call them donks just to provoke them to play more cards against me :D

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Donking?/Like Honking!

Donking, or whatever, is preferable to me than some of the other stuff that has been thrown out there. Those that use ugly,ugly vulgarity, are just being ugly about a loss; expressing poker pain instead of accepting the defeat. In these cases you will see these players put their Expectations on the table and want others to Bow down and when the Expectations are splattered by a small pair of 4's, all Heck breaks loose and the tantrum begins. These are annoyances to simply ignore because they run you right into the other player that is Tuned-In to the present hand at hand. Others that use these types of innocent expressions are probably having a not so great a day (and we All have had those days). I sometimes will respond something like,"Hang in there! Not far to the pay! You can do it!" And many times, composure sets in. GOD bless you.

E

enzomyn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Some people lose their hand and because they are ignorant, their only way to spread hatred is to insult the opponent who was superior in the hand. What I can tell you as a tip is not to call these people, keep playing your game and show him through your hands that you are not a donk.

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
My friend sent a video of a classic slow roller. I understand this is one of the worst crimes you can commit in Poker. Bad etiquette mainly.

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And let's not forget the biggest insult of all... Nice Hand!

"Nice Hand" does not mean well played. Instead it means that you relied on nothing but sheer luck (rather than skill) to win the pot.

gallocobain

gallocobain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe this is part of the show to try disestablished you in the game!

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Verbal jabs are part of the game at all levels. It is a badge of honor to have those negative words thrown my direction. To have someone give you a tell like that, priceless.

geitenkamper

geitenkamper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its just teasing, naming your opponent a donk orso.
Poker is a Jackalgame.
You have to make your opponent, tired, irritated, nervouse, and calling your opponent a donk, is teasing.
Its always the same words and so many players use thoose words, so dont see it personal.

Its just poker....

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think the insults at the tables come from weak people who were once hit hard.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'll admit, i'm a terrible player. compared to everyone else, i'm probably the worst player on cc. and that's fine. words can't insult me if i know it's true. but i understand if players want to vent frustration towards me because of how bad i am.

it's no different than someone yelling out dumbass or stupid if someone makes a mistake. they probably don't think that person is actually stupid, just stupid in that specific situation/for that specific reason. it's just a way to vent out frustration.

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
insultos

Hi. I watch a lot of online poker games and I see a lot of mistakes made by professionals and not insulted for winning or losing a hand. it doesn't bother me that they tell me things, now pokerstars implement some emoticons that are thrown at the rival as a mockery or insult. I think 888 Poker and GG poker have it too.

malitoxdk16

malitoxdk16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It varies since with the course of the table if you are well you can never offend or annoy ... but if you are angry, be sure that you will be aggressive with them

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! I knew people who, playing backgammon, purposefully insulted their rivals, and who, annoyed by insults, made mistakes, thereby giving odds to the boor, so it turns out not idle chatter, but a kind of game tactic. I am against any disrespect for the opponent, even throwing I consider rockets to be an opponent on PokerStars stupid and not sporting behavior. Sincerely, Sergey.

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The worst thing you can do is berate a bad player. The bad players are suppose to be your ATM, you don't want them quitting and never playing anymore, nor do you want them to improve. Best to just zip your lips or for online stop the keyboard warrior typing in chat logs. Short term a bad player may get lucky but in the long run the better player will win all the chips/money. Use the Golden Rule, do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Be polite and make the enjoyable for all. You can't win them all, part of winning is losing. Good luck and have fun.