Poker: A Path to Personal Development?

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been a hippie-dippie workshop junkie for years. I've read all the self-help books.

Almost nothing has fostered my personal development faster than poker.
No workshop. No training. No course. No mentor. No teacher. No school of thought. Few other practices have even come close.
Emotional control?
Poker
Money management and planning?
Poker
Patience?
Poker
Humility?
Poker
Logic and Reasoning?
Poker
Poker should be taught in every school (if we even need schools) in the world.
The poker app where you play for fake money is listed as for 17+ only on the Google play store. It says ‘for adults only’.
Playing poker with fake money is for adults only?
I doubt that’s how Stu Unger got his start :D
Poker, as opposed to all the BS that is put in front of us as entertainment, is real.
It’s REAL.
You can play with REAL money. Even if its just .01 at a time.
In REAL life.
With REAL people. I had almost given up the world before I found poker. The rebels, the misfits, the people who don’t fit in (or don’t want to)…they can be found at the poker table.
Poker doesn’t make you good or bad.
It doesn’t take your money away or your family.
It simply shows you who you are.
When we live in a world that tries its hardest to hide us from ourselves.
Anyone else found poker improving their lives...like a spiritual discipline or practice?
:eek:

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that poker can help you develop as person if you have the will to take the path and invest time to learn and improve. Good to hear that it worked fine for you.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker does not help everyone.. the psychotherapist will not help...)))
but the idea of educating poker in school.. - I liked..))
:driver::lollypop::driver:

paulinhlt

paulinhlt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe poker can tell us a lot about a person, how he deals with his real-life problems.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm glad for you that poker has changed your way of life...

DomGov

DomGov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely truth, cannot recommend Gripsed enough for some great learning material with that in mind, as well as Alec Torelli. (Tons of free content from both on YouTube and in their blogs).

Zzzms

Zzzms

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ABSOLUTELY, poker will either make you a better person or you won't get better at poker.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well stated. Poker is a great game. It is a ever changing game. Poker can be a great release from the outside world.

G

guitaRisGood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Outside of poker i use my "poker pause".
That's the pause i ALWAYS take before finalizing a decision in poker. Just stop thinking for a few seconds and see what comes to mind. Works great at the tables and great in life :)

this is one of the coolest posts yet thanks!!

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I became extra-polite when I started playing poker.

Calling everyone "Sir" is a good opener to defuse tense situations even among strangers.

Good luck !

And umpteen more life lessons from poker.

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the responses!

Wow! I just saw all these responses. You are encouraging me to continue the blog...

More coming soon...I agree so much with what 'the pros' teach us.... I learn a lot from their life experiences.

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For sure, poker can create a lot of discipline and intelligence in your daily life. The thing is that some people are very prone to emotional swings and will thus receive a negative effect from poker. Only the strongest prevail.

T

thaliko86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since I first met poker, I was immediately interested in the game and even then I played only the basics for a long time. Since I started to focus on the game, studying various related topics and analyzing specific spots, I can see how much I have evolved as a human being. Poker has sharpened my discipline, patience, determination, perspicacity, perseverance ... there are countless virtues that I perceive to appear in me more naturally, and I have no doubt that this is the result of much study and dedication. As a human being I make mistakes and I will never be free of them, but (as in the game) I try to err as little as possible today, and I am absolutely sure that a lot of what I live today - besides the experience gained over the years - wonderful sport that teaches me its a better person day after day!

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
perspicacity! what a great word!

I'm glad this is resonating...

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well explained and stated, GL to all the poker players that read the massage!

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Well said poker helps us I think poker gives you discipline and constancy habits that serve us for life ... excuse me and english

S

Souza322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a good way to see things, it's good to know that poker has helped you. As you mention, it depends on how we take things. I already feel eager to improve as your do.