Is poker a game as stressful as it seems?

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Does the chat comment affect you?

If the bet is very high, stress increases?

how does stress, some tennica in particular or only with experience decrease?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I will attempt to answer this but apparently based on answers from another thread, I'm an anomaly.

No, not at all

No, I do not feel any different regardless of the size of bet. Matter of fact I generally feel better if the bet size is high, because that generally either means an easy fold, or max value.

I guess it decreases with experience, again this is difficult for me to answer because I was fearless even when I first started. I used to be described as a Hyper LAG in my very early stages of learning, and over the past 5 or 6 years have transitioned to a LAG style, but more recently hovering towards TAG so as I transitioned to a tighter range percentage my confidence was always high because it was high when I started. So I never really experienced stress....

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes MemphisGrind you are definitely not the norm. However, it is probably what players should strive for.. with proper bank rolling, each buy in becomes a matter of maximizing value and high bet sizes are welcomed. Chat is the lay person's entertainment, whereas serious poker players are only interested in the cards and results. If you're properly rolled and are confident in your play, there should be no stress. If you're a gambling addict or trying to feed yourself through poker and you're not good enough, that's where the stress soars.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes MemphisGrind you are definitely not the norm. However, it is probably what players should strive for.. with proper bank rolling, each buy in becomes a matter of maximizing value and high bet sizes are welcomed. Chat is the lay person's entertainment, whereas serious poker players are only interested in the cards and results. If you're properly rolled and are confident in your play, there should be no stress. If you're a gambling addict or trying to feed yourself through poker and you're not good enough, that's where the stress soars.

That makes sense I guess.. I have some friends that struggle in those areas. I had the privilege of hanging around top pro's early on and still real good friends with a lot today, and listening to advice from them, they beat it into my skull how important playing within your means is.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Meditation always helps me to refrain from stress. In my opinion, this is the most effective way to get rid of bad emotions. Try to meditate at least once a day, and I am sure you will get a positive effect.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very stressful at times. I find that playing within a normal bankroll, like 50 buy ins, helps alleviate that stress:)

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont even look at the chat. when there are nice players and they engage i reply. but it doesnt make me stress about it

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Does the chat comment affect you?"
- No 'cause my chat is blocked hahaha.

"If the bet is very high, stress increases?"
- No!

"how does stress, some tennica in particular or only with experience decrease?"
- I find it particularly difficult to control stress, but that is something of my own personality and will hardly change.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Uff.... quite stressful, a lot of adrenalin is emitted.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nope,,,all fun,all the time. I truly love this game,,, :)

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not get stressed out over poker because I play within my means. That’s not to say I do not have nerves in some hands or tournaments but my life is never dependent on it so no major worries.

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

Poker has some stresful sectors.When you make a high bet bluff stress is at high limit.Also when you moved all in .You need to be calm while playing as far as you can .

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It very much depends on the way you play. Some people are playing at much higher stakes than their bankroll or experience allows and this naturally causes stress. This component of the game is in fact something that gamblers need and want. If you follow good bankroll management and play at levels for which you have enough skills stress is much reduced. Regarding the chat - i do not care about it.

NoPlace4U

NoPlace4U

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont pay much attention to the chat, when the bet is high i get a little tense sometimes but overall i just get pissed by lucky donks.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like chat, I use it as I would table talk in a live session.

If a big bet stresses you maybe it means you are playing in higher buyin than what you should.

I dont know what tennica is, so I cant answer your third question.

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shouldnt be unless it your job or playing for too much money

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no stress, and excitement is present, but does not interfere...

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a freeroll player, and as a generality, the game is not really stressful. I try not to allow it to be stressful by making the plays that I deem to be the correct plays and make the calls at the correct time. Therefore, my levels of stress will be much lower because I believe that I have made the correct play. If I win I normally feel as though I deserved to win, If I lose than I take it with a grain of salt and move on to the next hand.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in our time of life... even going to the grocery store is subject to stress and anxiety))))
:cheers:

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the chat doest affect me, but, as the game go by, and mostly in the final table, its very stressfull.

Destruct51

Destruct51

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play your game

Don't buy into chat gimmicks, its just them trying to get a feel on you. I don't ever chat in serious events. But I will in freerolls and and good fun with the friends. Take it easy and patience is the name of the game!!!:bebored:

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, nothing affects the game if they write bad things to me, it’s just not pleasant for me to read and I turn off the player’s chat so that he doesn’t distract me from the game, maybe for me before I was all very tense in the game, but now I’m playing calmly Do not be nervous and enjoy the game and get good results!

AMTTT

AMTTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if chatting someone wrote about the good, showing the thumb up or blink smiley, and if they write about the bad, do not get nervous, showing thumbs down and try to knock out a player from the tournament

Z

Zaksdad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
remember, they're either trying to get information or be friendly or be an idiot ... some people just like to talk ... some of them think they're Daniel Negraneau and can read into your soul ... now Daniel might be able to :D but them not so much ... just look at it for what it's worth, entertainment, don't let it get you off your game, if it's affecting you turn it off

Top 10 Games