Is Poker a Game of Skill or Chance?

M

mico595

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing poker for 17 years, I do not think the experience is more than a chance

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
50% or lower on luck must mean youre a bluffer!!!:eek:

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
sure there is some luck involved in poker. But skill trumps luck over time for a winning players.

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
even with getting great cards, we all need luck, have lost just as many hands with good cards then i have with never play cards. Yes cards work but we all need much luck also in every game

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree on 50 or maybe 100 percent for luck on important tourneys where you are pot committed in a coinflip situation AK v QQ high blinds ect its all luck as no skill involved as certain hands play themselves good luck

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big turnament, we canot win if we dont use card like: 5d 2d like 7s 8s and like theat...We canot win, just with strong starting hand :) so i think theat is lucky 50%...We can use all strategy, the best study and learning but"FLOP TURN AND RIVER IS JUST LUCKY " And for my ideology, poker is gambling game 50% jes it is and 50% is not :)
Please go back to your high school math book and restudy the section on Percentages and Probabilities.

Once you understand the basic math involved, then please come back to this conversation.

Thank you.

Last edited:
sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not see it this way !! Poker has the luck factor yes, but not much 50% ... How to explain the same player at the same tables of the tournament end of the world, poker is made of study, skill, and psychological, and luck, when you put 50% luck in poker has already started things wrong, and in the end you're going to play in luck only.

Mare10

Mare10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, in poker all must be present and the ability to play and luck without it you do not win.
Without lucky no win i agree :)

I don't think it's 50% luck. I would say maybe 5 %. Ultimately if you play a profitable strategy long term, no matter your luck you will statistically make money
I think is more than 5% maybe is not 50 but more than 5 is shure :)

Luck plays a role for sure. You need a bit of luck to do well in a single tournament but over time skill will beat luck. It has been proven. If not, nobody would be making money at this game.

You can get lucky and not capitalize on the luck. Some players can get lucky and then lose value by overbetting or being too passive in another instance. You can get lucky and quadruple up on first hand of tournament and then punt your stack away by being a bad player(see it all the time).

I don't think its more than single digit luck and 100% how you play that luck.
You explain me good thank you for this post :) you have right

We can win with a strong starting hand but we need a lot of chances
Jes i agree

Last edited by a moderator:
lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
IMO: 50% poker skill, 35% pure mindset, 15% lucky. Player without good mindset will be gambler player in the future! Without pure mindset poker will destroy and addict him!

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
If in yours 50% lucky is your 35% hidden pure mindset. Yes you`re right 50% lucky! :)

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bad beat means bad luck, which means that no matter how good you are you don't have luck you will lose .

D

deeggr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, in poker all must be present and the ability to play and luck without it you do not win.

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
luck is only a factor in the short run, in the long run EVERYBODY PLAYS THE SAME CARDS! It is your skill that causes you to win or lose.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe some of the skill is setting ourselves up in the best, most likely position to be lucky.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that somewhere around 70 = 80% there should be a skill of the game and the rest is played by luck in poker, the player should play well and luck will come at any moment!

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
What is the definition of this skill for you? VPIP<20%? :rolleyes: You only write skill, what is this for you poker honeys?

King Cadmus

King Cadmus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is a big factor. Tho we like to fool ourselves, poker is still gambling.

With high skill I was up a lot over the course of a week. Then with just 3 bad beats where I was a 90%+ favorite I was down lower than my original deposit. The one I distinctly remember. After a couple dozen hands I set up a bluffer table presence to this new guy. He went all in with a bluff reraise on me with Jd, Qc, thinking I'd fold but I had kings this time. I was smiling so much when I saw that 3rd king on the flop. He was toast and I was about to logout for a good night's work.... He then hit flush with 4 diamonds on board and 1 in his hand.

I was tilted. 3 bad beat shoves undid thousands of well calculated hands. Few have any idea on what that does to one's spirit.

It's why I'm taking a big break from the game. Tho I enjoy the forums and watching Hellmuth and Nengreanu videos while I'm working on my business (that I hope will be more profitable than poker). 5% of poker players are winning players, but only 5% of those 5% can do it as a living.
I believe it was Hellmuth who said if there were no luck in poker then he would win every time.

Last edited:
infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Evidently, luck is very important.
But, how do you play, that is much more important.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is 50% Lucky game?

Poker tournaments are definitely won by being lucky in key spots. Obviously having skill is necessary but running good and having luck on your side is very important. Maybe 30-40% luck.

Filip Krstevski

Filip Krstevski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will say, poker is not a game of luck. I can say there is like 5% luck in the online tournaments when u cannot read the opponents, but if u play live with them there is like 1% luck only. You can read them by their gestures and what they're doing, how they feel about the hand and so on. So basically poker is not a game of luck. If u play your hand good, there is nothing to do with the luck.

oleg plugaru

oleg plugaru

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me poker is a game of skill, but anytime luck is important especially in mtt..

Top 10 Games