Poker is a game of skill

marcofud

marcofud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have had a problem for some time because I believe less and less that poker is a game of skill. Once, when I won a tournament, I told myself that I was good and my morals rose, but when I lost, it was the opposite. Now, even when I win, I tell myself that I didn't play well at all, just "I got aces at the right moment" or something. Did you have a problem with this? If so, how do you handle it? I have a friend who was a very good player but gave up the game because he stopped believing that skills are the most important.

S

Space635

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be a good player, you have to analyze the moves, the opponents (how they play), and table position, the latter counts a lot.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Even a good player needs a little luck:)

DTMath

DTMath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is both luck and skill in this game. For me I find it a bit harder to read a player when you are playing on-line plus keep moving players between tables. The luck was today by just making it into the money hands and being able to watch some players knock each other out. I did not win but I made it from 28 to 8. I went all-in with K, J suited and that ended my day.

chilindrodolar

chilindrodolar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ability, skills, aptitude, ability… Call it as you want, but keep in mind.

However, some practitioners have asserted that looks and all that game that can surround the poker in a traditional table is more film-coated tablets than anything else, and that in fact, online poker has nothing to envy to the traditional but rather the opposite.

Something similar - and we say similar- occurs in poker. If you are good, or at least the best of the Bureau, it is most likely that you win. We say likely because in poker luck plays a crucial factor.

Poker is complex because it requires many different skills, especially the psychological part, mathematics, self management and control of banking. When you start, you work the mathematical part of the game, which is the most important, and based on that you are going to grow as a player.

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the first stages you can call it skills..

But when the blinds goes up, you need more luck , good spots and to have a good seat too.

To be succesfull you need more luck than skills for sure

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had been given up about 5-6 times because of your statements.
Skill is very important. But luck is more.
I just feel that there's a huge gap between the tournaments and the players attitude which results this question. So not every feedback is useful.

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No luck-no victories! No matter what anyone says. :rolleyes:
Of the success depends on the distribution entirely.
Skills allows you to take the Bank without opening. For this they only need. If you could beat your opponent and take the pot-fine. If the hand reached the opening - everything will again depend on luck.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously, poker is a combination of skill and luck. I think this ratio is 80% - skill and 20% - luck. Combining these two components will give you good results.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think poker luck is minimal. If you look closely at the hands played over time I'm sure you will notice that you have won a lot more hands when you played with good hands than when you went on weak hands and you were lucky. go on the skill and not on the luck. The luck is relative.

pac818man

pac818man

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had a problem for some time because I believe less and less that poker is a game of skill. Once, when I won a tournament, I told myself that I was good and my morals rose, but when I lost, it was the opposite. Now, even when I win, I tell myself that I didn't play well at all, just "I got aces at the right moment" or something. Did you have a problem with this? If so, how do you handle it? I have a friend who was a very good player but gave up the game because he stopped believing that skills are the most important.
Skill still matters. You need a bit of skill to handle AA's. In tourney's I don't gauge my game by the individual hands I win anymore, as long as I did the right play, i'm OK. There will always be a bad beat. On to the next hand.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Do you only play tournaments? Tournaments do have more of a luck element than cash, and often times when your stack runs short you will feel like yo're playing bingo more than poker (mostly true at really low stakes).

The key is knowing how to maximize what you make with good luck and minimize what you lose with bad luck.

Watch this
She won a tournament without looking at her cards, I don't know how many attempts she made but there have been many others who did the same.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
only with skills you can't win in poker all the time, you still need luck

IcyPlayChips

IcyPlayChips

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is still game of luck. Skills give you the edge in long term.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I have NO doubt that poker is a skill game .... you can't pretend to win a tournament just by playing premium hands ... it takes more than that ... You have to have the ability to get the best benefit when you you find in late positions at the table, as well as a great reading of the gameplay of your opponents, this among other things

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally have no problem with this, I am aware that poker is 60% - 40%, 60% of skill and 40% of luck if either fails, the money will be lost

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that luck can be a huge part in many of the games we play. However having some of the skills like reading your opponents, analyzing hands and the boards can give us an advantage over some other players. Additional information we gather while playing does improve our chances of going further without busting.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not just about skill, it's about knowledge, patience, character and other than that and every good player knows it, it's about being very lucky.

G

gatinhoAK12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I also believe that we should study poker a bit more, behavioral analysis helps a lot for sure.

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you win you are the best, when you lose're the worst ... is how nice this game. Not to be swayed by luck, skill and study strategies in poker are 95% of victory. Never underestimate the players who study and practice every day to improve. Luck can give you a prize in poker but never help you long term.:):)

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of skill, but sometimes you just need the odds to be in your favour. It is impossible to win every single hand, even with good cards. And the other way round is also true: sometimes you make a bad move which turns out well with a bit of luck.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally have no problem with this, I am aware that poker is 60% - 40%, 60% of skill and 40% of luck if either fails, the money will be lost
I play with 60% skill and 40% luck but my opponents play with 20% skill and 80% luck:confused:
the old saying goes "I rather be lucky than good " :eek::eek:

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, online poker is not an indicator. Here you can lose confidence even in 100% of things. I have long lost confidence in playing poker on the Internet.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The majority of people think that poker is just gambling and the majority are hopeless losers. Hoping to get lucky in a poker tournament (it's just gotta be my turn now!!) will get you nowhere.I remember reading about a supreme court case some years ago, I think it was in sweden, where it was decided that tournament poker is NOT gambling because of the high level of knowledge and skill required to succeed in the long run.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game of both skill and luck. On short term or if you play once in a while, the results are determined mainly by luck. The more consistent you play, on long term, the more important skill becomes, because eventually you find yourself on both sides of variance, and the difference between a winning player and a losing player is going to be determined by the amount of skill.

freerolls are an exception, because there is no potential loss, only potential gain. So you can play simply for fun, make mistake after mistake, and still be a winning player :)

Top 10 Games