"Poker"

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just a question if anyone cares to respond. I spend a lot of time in mexico and I have heard they say poker when someone has 4 of a kind. I have never heard that and belief it is only a term used in Mexico. Does anyone know if this is a common poker term.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I've heard of something like this but haven't experienced it directly.. Quads! :)

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
Just a question if anyone cares to respond. I spend a lot of time in Mexico and I have heard they say poker when someone has 4 of a kind. I have never heard that and belief it is only a term used in Mexico. Does anyone know if this is a common poker term.

Yes, it is normally used in Latin America, you can listen to it in football matches when a goal scorer makes 4 goals in the same match.

"He scored a poker"

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Each country has a different way of speaking, in brazil when there are 4 of the same type, it is called a court.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here in Brazil we speak four.
But the term poker for this type of hand is valid yes

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you all, I thought it was just a local thing here. I am going to do a google now to see if the game of poker originated from the term Poker meaning four.

Bee

Bee

to bee or not to bee
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In Serbia, we say too, poker :)

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Four of a kind are rough hands. Pretty much unstoppable. Her is the trick to look for if a certain pair in the whole has came twice and won via tips or quads recently, the probability of the same pair hitting and winning isnt good even if it hits trips or quads. Thats when you fold quads.

YungWan

YungWan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've heard that term used just yesterday in a Twitch chat to describe Quads and I was pretty confused at first! :laugh::laugh:

Would love to know more about how and where it originated from!!

From Wikipedia:

There is evidence that a game called poque, a French game similar to poker, was played around the region where poker is said to have originated. The name of the game likely descended from the Irish Poca (Pron. Pokah) ('Pocket') or even the French poque, which descended from the Germanpochen ('to brag as a bluff' lit. 'to knock'). Yet it is not clear whether the origins of poker itself lie with the games bearing those names. It is commonly regarded as sharing ancestry with the Renaissance game of primero and the French brelan. The English game brag (earlier bragg) clearly descended from brelan and incorporated bluffing (though the concept was known in other games by that time). It is quite possible that all of these earlier games influenced the development of poker as it exists now.

It doesn't mention anything about the name having anything to do with 4 of a kind. :confused::confused:

M

Muckutoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Four of a kind are rough hands. Pretty much unstoppable. Her is the trick to look for if a certain pair in the whole has came twice and won via tips or quads recently, the probability of the same pair hitting and winning isnt good even if it hits trips or quads. Thats when you fold quads.
I’m not sure I understand your logic here. Obviously hitting quads is a longshot, but you lost me with the part about folding them. The only scenario I could see that you could possibly fold is if opponent needs to hold only 1 card to beat you and you don’t have the equity in the pot to risk all your chips

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very interesting. I have never heard that before.

sanych

sanych

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also heard in childhood when 4 of a kind was called "poker" :)