Playing when feeling off

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know if this affects everyone, but today I was feeling low and also the weather went crappy and cool. At the tables I've just been crap all day. This happens a lot where I tend to play badly if I'm having an off day mood wise.

It's amplified at the moment with the current situation with gloomy news but because I'm trying to limit how much of that I take in I've been hitting the tables more than I would. Previously if I wasn't feeling great I would probably just avoid poker.

Anyone else affected by mood/mental state?

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I usually enjoy a game when I have had a hard day, but if it appears it is going to worsen my mood, I quit playing.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes, many things can have a huge effect.

Generally feeling down, of course. Tired or stressed, noticeably so.

One problem for me is due to location I need to play in the middle of the night. It is virtually impossible for me to balance proper rest and play. Some days I cope well but other days it is a disaster - a lack of attention, irritability and simple tiredness but I have little choice in the matter due to tourney schedules.

As I am mostly playing free rolls it is not of major consequence...but trust me it is obvious when I am playing sub-optimally.

M

MrRag3r14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can avoid playing when in a bad mood I would avoid. I want to be as neutral as possible when I play better thinking. I keep my mind fresh by working out early then playing after. If I’m moody or having a bad day I get reckless just my thought process.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On an external downswing, playing and not playing..

Poker is hard, needs your full abilities. When I'm feeling low, not all there, I usually don't play.

However, if poker is a useful diversion, and gets you out of the dumps, go ahead and play.

thetzarofpoker

thetzarofpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know if this affects everyone, but today I was feeling low and also the weather went crappy and cool. At the tables I've just been crap all day. This happens a lot where I tend to play badly if I'm having an off day mood wise.

It's amplified at the moment with the current situation with gloomy news but because I'm trying to limit how much of that I take in I've been hitting the tables more than I would. Previously if I wasn't feeling great I would probably just avoid poker.

If you low don´t play long tournaments.. if you had luck, it will up your mud, if not you way stop... and wait for a better time

B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think I understand a little what you mean, when I'm in a good mood and full of energy I play much more focused and better, it seems that I get a lot more high pairs and form a lot more strong games on the flop, it's intriguing .
However when I play discouraged, tired or without much focus, no good hands come and those who come I only get bad beat.
I believe in energy in vibration, and emotions are exactly that, whether I am playing with a high emotional or not the universe will correspond to my feelings, in your case of playing without much encouragement it causes. you receive bad letters, and it also prevents you from seeing the good chances, in short, the universe is only returning the feeling you sent to him in the form of these letters or lack of them

apero12345

apero12345

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a lot depends on the mood
you have to play when good minded
Good luck everyone

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you are feeling like this is one of those sessions where you could swing from feeling bad and enjoying poker to lift your mood or continue down a bad road. You could always play a cash game which would allow you to bail at any moment, rather than playing a tournament game that locks you into several hours.

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Affects vs effect

When in the Marines, I always felt like the dumbest in my group(from orphanage to boy's homes and growing up as unfitting was my train of thoughts), still, I was top of my class when it came to testing. Maybe feeling ill of myself compelled me to study harder, listen to instruction and to take notes. I heard somewhere that mint candy made you attentive and alert and took that info when testing; it helped. You can allow "feeling low" affect you; that is a Choice or you can have an Effect on what you're doing by choosing to shut things down, relaxing and choosing to realize that there are others that truly have amplified problems, sorrows and concerns that they had no way of avoiding; yet they keep going forward knowing that there are others that do not know what they have faced, are facing and will face. GOD's word says that HE will never forsake us. When playing on gloomy days, try to play for fun, relaxed and fold your 5 of a kind and laugh about it. GOD bless you. Now, go get'em!

Last edited:
A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like a Pro!

I usually enjoy a game when I have had a hard day, but if it appears it is going to worsen my mood, I quit playing.
That is something that a Pro would do. GOD bless you. Now, go get'em!

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hang In There!

Yes, many things can have a huge effect.

Generally feeling down, of course. Tired or stressed, noticeably so.

One problem for me is due to location I need to play in the middle of the night. It is virtually impossible for me to balance proper rest and play. Some days I cope well but other days it is a disaster - a lack of attention, irritability and simple tiredness but I have little choice in the matter due to tourney schedules.

As I am mostly playing free rolls it is not of major consequence...but trust me it is obvious when I am playing sub-optimally.
Hang in there good buddy. Focus on the "Pay" and fold your three of a kind when the possibility of flush or strait are staring at you. It is hard to do, but if it affects your chip-count (and Blinds are climbing) then don't let Pride bring you down. GOD's word says, Pride comes before the fall. GOD bless you. Now, go get'em!

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with all you say, and usually I would just not bother playing. I also only play freerolls and micro stakes cash tables. Obviously when it comes to freerolls they are at set times of the day so I will usually play them whatever mood I'm in. Yesterday for example one game I play every night I got a triple up with AA on my second hand, then didn't play another hand in that game and got a low cash. In normal mood I would have been playing more hands but every time I looked at my cards I found a reason to fold (JJ pre flop was the best I saw and I folded that to a 3 bet with others still to act)

I played some micro cash but lost a hand and pretty much went on tilt. Fortunately I didn't lose much (pokerstars cash out helped there)

I don't like missing cardschat games but forgot to register for the nightly game.

It just seems more difficult at the moment with not being able to visit family for a change of scenery or go out much.

kacca

kacca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well, poker is that game where you should be carried away in order to make the right decision and make a good bluff. If you don’t have this feeling, you will calmly wait for your card and hope for good luck. This is not the game that poker offers.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see the point in starting the game in a bad mood, because the game of poker should give you pleasure, if it is not, then why play

izmoroc

izmoroc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Me 2
Never start to play im bad mood... anrdy, too tired or drink(

Or just for Play chips, not to real money)

AdonisPimenta

AdonisPimenta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yes , I totally avoid to play in these days cause Poker is not a game to play when you are felling off and it’s affect your rationality and make you choose badly.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I noticed that I play badly when I'm having problems that can change my mood. Sometimes it affects my confidence, sometimes my patience. I try to avoid playing in these days.

V

valts102

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop do that,you will just loose money.

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if I’m in a bad mood, I don’t play, because it affects my game very badly. I start playing too aggressively.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
If I 'm not in good mood for the game, I'm not going play at all... :)

G

gryllz_wins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is better to avoid playing when you are not feeling it, you get tilted easier, you get into problems you wouldn't get if you were thinking more clearly and playing your normal game.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Feel you with that. It's a crappy feeling but when we're feeling off on the game, try to refocus and if we can't then walk away and come back later.

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not recommended to play if you are not in the mood, it is my opinion. But not for everyone, some play to improve their mood and get their best version of the game in those days.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thing is my mood can fluctuate before and during a game. I agree it's best to avoid playing for money with a low mood, however freerolling comes with no outlay and can obviously have a positive effect if you make it into the money. It has lifted my mood before. But it works the other way, if I bust out after a long session it can make me feel low.

I definitely wouldn't play a live tournament if I wasn't feeling good.