playing poker and watching soccer.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
today i was playing a tournament off poker and watching a soccer game,is that god or bad? wen i play poker im allwais looking iff a hand i fold could have win it,so iff i fold a hand and at he i could have win it i get mad and blur my judgement,so watching the soccer game help me in that aspect,maibe it has more pros than cons,tell me wath u guis and girls think.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If it doesn't affect your concentration, no problem. I usually have a game on while I play.

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think any amount of focus directed at something other than poker will reduce your chances of winning. If you're playing on autopilot, you are not making use of all of the information available to you, and you will be much worse at playing around other players' habits.

That said, if you feel the other thing (in your case a soccer game, but it could be anything) is important enough that it's worth sacrificing that slight value, then go for it. The value you're losing from your poker game is fairly objective, but the value you're gaining from entertainment watching soccer is entirely subjective, and if you feel it's a good tradeoff then you should keep doing it.

D

don1980

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If watching soccer help you play better then continue to watch soccer and play poker.

DieCosta

DieCosta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No chance

I did try many times to do it but I can’t do it if my team is playing in this case Real Madrid I will be focus on the Macht or in the poker table but I can’t be focus 100% both if someone has a secret I want it to know...😏

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
soccer

when i play poker i dont watch soccer ...
music is what i realy like to listen.....

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't like to have anything else at all going on...too distracting. I tend to do really silly things and when I'm distracted....really stupid things

A

animalitymk3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think anything that occupies you to help you tilt less it would be good for bankroll protection. I used to play 4 tables to get my mind off the current hand I lost so I would tilt less.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did try many times to do it but I can’t do it if my team is playing in this case Real Madrid I will be focus on the Macht or in the poker table but I can’t be focus 100% both if someone has a secret I want it to know...😏
The secret is,dont watch a game off ur time,:)

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do this often ... unfortunately, my game drops a lot of production

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's terrible, watching a game will take all your attention for a few seconds and you will lose many things happening at the table.

Last edited:
Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What works best for you is the best option. Some people don't like the distraction and some appreciate it, but test it out both ways to see what gives you a better mindset. I do something similar in watching Twitch streams while waiting for hands so it depends on what you want from poker: entertainment or straight up profit.

FlamengoBR

FlamengoBR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched soccer every day at the last Russian world cup.I supported Croatia.

R

rgp007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can do when you are tired, and you are inclined to tilt. The most good is total attention.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suppose that you are playing on one table. In the early stages of a game i also have some moments when everything is still going very slow and i need to do something else to fill the time between hands. Considering that there are many recreational players like me that also like sports betting while they play poker i think that it is quite common to look at the football game also while playing. At late stage of tournament though where blinds are huge and you are forced to play your best game and monitor the other players as careful as possible i can not allow anything to distract me from the game.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sometimes watch movies, especially when the tournament is already very advanced, I do not get bored.
But this I think may affect, not be focused on the game and not go against what kind of players are playing and betting pattern.

Pokerguy6666

Pokerguy6666

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like watching poker on youtube while I play. I think it helps my game.

MolonAA

MolonAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm watching TV I usually do not play a lot of screens, at most 2 even, so as not to decrease the concentration too much

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, if my team is playing, surely I'll not play anything because that will be a great distraction. But with other team games, I'll play and some times look at the screen.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think we really should focus on the poker game, but I am guilty of watching videos or listening to podcasts myself while playing... especially online.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that there is nothing wrong with this. It would be bad if you played soccer and poker at the same time.

weezy1312

weezy1312

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
most of the time i play while watching a game on tv or listening to music , i actually twice tried to play without music or any distraction just me watching the table all time and concentrated , i had good results and played really better but after 2 hours i couldnt concentrate anymore i got so tired and started to make bad decisions and basically just wanted to end this suffering ^^ but if i put a football game or something while playing or music i wont have my A game but i could go deep on the tournaments if the occasion shows up and having way less mistakes at the late stages , it is weird but thats how it goes for me ^^

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Watching soccer or sth else , a movie , a youtube clip , a stream is sth I believe I cannot avoid , to fill the ''gaps'' between the hands , cause I usualy play one game or two .

But I admit , it really disorientate you from the game sometime . The time comes when I have an important hand for the continuation of my tournament life and instead of already having made a strategy plan or begin calculating my moves instantly , I see that at the last moment when the poker client window appears infront of the other App or windows (pops up it's called?? :confused:) . Then only 10-15 sec I have to make my decision .

Like yesterday 2.20 knockout , I had QQ on the SB , MP+1 raised x2 , I don't remeber exactly blinds but I had 20bb more than him and we were both good , he had enough , no info on him . I made bad reraise cause I didn't think correctly/ I was distracted , I made not the right cbet on the 2 clubs flop cause no A,K ,but wrong cbt after the distraction , one mistake after the other:(, again mistake small raise 1/4 on the club card turn , he shoved 15-20 blinds or more I don't remember , A10 , Aof clubs , club on the river . Disaster , complete sucker , got furious , he called me a fish and sth else-I didn't look cause I felt embarrassed . 2 hands later MP+2?? raised , CU reraised big , tournament go to H$LL :eek: I said ,I shoved K4s 20bb oop from SB or BU was it :D Completely angry I was I wanted this game to end , I didn't want to go on playing , and made a present of 0.75$ bounty to a player , he had AA :D . I continued to watch my youtube videos :D
What I want to say is although I know it costs me money sometimes , not rarely , I need to do sth more during my games , either watching youtube or movie or athletic event and this habit I cannot stop it .
BUT when I go deep on a tournament , I concetrate only to the tournement , everything else is switched off/closed , this is a rule I don't break .

So if you can play just poker without any distractions-congratulations , keep on doing that , if you cannot , just be more carefull on the poker and play one table imo . If you are like me , you will need a lot of luck :rolleyes:But if you are good/very good , you know better what to do ;)

By the way I think this happens at the live games as well , besides the cold-face players who don't do anything else but to stare at you and try not to give tells or the other who talk all the time more or lesss , there are many players playing with their androids or listening to music or doing sth else . :)

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
normally i don't focus 100% when i play poker, and believe me it doesn't make a lot of difference in your quality play.

A

anderson697

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends what type of poker tournament you played, I doubt that if you are in the sunday million of pokerstars you will get distracted watching soccer on tv.