Playing poker every day

K

Klito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does playing poker everyday make you a better player .. How much practice is needed to be a professional poker player ?

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I play everyday,but up to 5 $ entrance.Big money are for the professionals.

N

Napkins420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well common sense will tell you that the more you do something the better you will be at it.

How long to be pro? Well first off, 90% of players will never have what it takes to go pro no matter how much they play. Second, the time it takes to go pro will vary from player to player.

Some people are millionaire in a few years, others, like myself, we're losing players for a long time before they started to win.

I have been playing no limit for about 15 years, probably 8 of those years I was a losing player

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is necessary to pay not only practice but also theory...

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Playing everyday gives you lots of practice, but does not guarantee that you will be a better player. It all depends on HOW you play. Are you studying certain aspects of the game today?
Are you working on a skill you read about?
Are you watching other players' behaviour?
Are you playing for recreation, just to avoid chores around the house?

If your goal is to be a better player, then, of course you should play everyday. But, your play should be focused, like working towards your Phd, or any other certificate.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In order to be real pro you need Stu Ungar's total recall memory, John Juanda focus and Daniel Negraneu's marketability.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed it depends on how you play.
During the week I'm usually pretty tired while playing the cardschat freeroll, so I don't learn alot from it. But in the weekend I'm paying more attention and that makes it more interesting to learn stuff from it.

Stepgov

Stepgov

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For a professional player there is no need to play every day. If you play the computer every day, you can die for him and not to see life.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just the fact that you open a POKER room, where the word POKER is written, on a daily basis, will make your eyes more sensible to the word POKER. When you are in your POKER room every day, you will see special events with a glance of your eye. Does that make you a better POKER player? No, you just trained yourself some extra skills, that others don't have. You will need at least 8 more skills to understand the language that is spoken at the table you are sitting at, but if you sit there every day, and analyze the game, it will come sooner or later, I'm pretty sure about it. I see it as learning a new language or training muscles, you should learn 3-4 days and review (pause) 3-4 days.
If you want to earn money with poker, playing daily comes indispensable, so why not train it from the beginning.
I play daily all day long, POKER is my life (for the time being) and honestly sometimes I shout out loud OMG, gimme a break and I shut down all the computers and don't play for a day. (un) fortunately I have to come back, whether I like it or not If i want to be a pro some day. Your choice...
From my point of view it's better to multi-table, if you want to sharpen your skills.
Play a specific range on 4 tables always and sometimes some more, that helps alot

Last edited:
Stepgov

Stepgov

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just the fact that you open a POKER room, where the word POKER is written, on a daily basis, will make your eyes more sensible to the word POKER. When you are in your POKER room every day, you will see special events with a glance of your eye. Does that make you a better POKER player? No, you just trained yourself some extra skills, that others don't have. You will need at least 8 more skills to understand the language that is spoken at the table you are sitting at, but if you sit there every day, and analyze the game, it will come sooner or later, I'm pretty sure about it. I see it as learning a new language or training muscles, you should learn 3-4 days and review (pause) 3-4 days.
If you want to earn money with poker, playing daily comes indispensable, so why not train it from the beginning.
I play daily all day long, POKER is my life (for the time being) and honestly sometimes I shout out loud OMG, gimme a break and I shut down all the computers and don't play for a day. (un) fortunately I have to come back, whether I like it or not If i want to be a pro some day. Your choice...
From my point of view it's better to multi-table, if you want to sharpen your skills.
Play a specific range on 4 tables always and sometimes some more, that helps alot

In your article you talk about training muscles. What muscles you train sitting at the computer for 5 hours. I want to hear it!!

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Of course, playing daily it is a training, but I also think, like other said here in thread, it is important, that you make your thoughts about your play, that you educate yourself somehow. It is like on a normal job, where you also need to improve your skills somehow and come further with this. Especially when you want to be a pro.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker every day and I'm proud. In the old days, before I knew poker, I lived from work at home and did not enjoy any other entertainment, practically did not enjoy myself, I lived a monotonous life. I am very grateful to have been interested in this sport. I remember that at the beginning when I started to play poker online, I lost constantly, so I looked for poker related issues on the internet to improve my gameplay. And things were happening, I remember when I arrived at the final table of a Freeroll tournament, I was super happy. I play poker every day, some call me an addict. But I'm sure I'll get close to my dream. I want to be respected in poker, I want my Fold opponents when I raise. I want to be known as the guy who has the NUTS Flush board and for that reason other opponents should think that the best thing to do is fold by hand.

emk4976

emk4976

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing poker daily will help you understand the game better. Your brain sees patterns before you relies it. Also by playing a few hours daily you will get to a point where your brain automaticely figures out your number outs and the percentages that go with each one. I would say it becomes second nature, then you need to have an idea on the hand ranges of each person and in what positions they use them in. You will also be able to figure out what style of play each player uses. Like loose aggressive or tight passive and so on. The more notes you have on a person , the more it helps you get an idea on how they play. However you want to play poker when your fresh, so don't play too much daily or you will have bad results due to your emotions.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
afaik, ivey played 16 hours a day and fedor holz 12 hours a day, both when they started. so the question is not about playing daily or not but how much.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In your article you talk about training muscles. What muscles you train sitting at the computer for 5 hours. I want to hear it!!

I was talking about the learning hability of a human being. Whatever part of your body you are training, you should give it a rest to absorb and understand the things you just tought him. And yes, sitting one whole week on your four letters in a big Tournament might hurt too. I'm not too accomodated at home neither ;)

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing poker daily will help you understand the game better. Your brain sees patterns before you relies it. Also by playing a few hours daily you will get to a point where your brain automaticely figures out your number outs and the percentages that go with each one. I would say it becomes second nature, then you need to have an idea on the hand ranges of each person and in what positions they use them in. You will also be able to figure out what style of play each player uses. Like loose aggressive or tight passive and so on. The more notes you have on a person , the more it helps you get an idea on how they play. However you want to play poker when your fresh, so don't play too much daily or you will have bad results due to your emotions.

wow, that's exactly how I wanted to express it, but I think in another language

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and counterquestion, do you know, that the (usual) brain is a muscle?

E

Edvin55555

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should play while you are able to be completely focused and concentrated on the game. If you are tired or in a bad mood, it's better to have a rest.

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever I'm at home, I'm in poker, my work gets in the way a bit, but soon I'll be stay retired, so I'll dedicate myself more to this game

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
practice in poker is necessary, but without studying the theory it will not help you become a good poker player !!!!

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like playing everyday that I can, unless my mood / tilt is telling me not to. In that case, I will find myself on forums or with my nose in a poker book.

I think you have to be doing something to make you a better player everyday. Playing would be most important but reading and improving your game plan is what will add to the bank.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I,m not sure, that playing poker every day is a great idea. Your mind and your body need a rest. If you will play every day having a long sessions - you will be tired of poker for sure.

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
regular practice is good, but I think that sometimes you need to take a break to rest from the game, so that you do not lose interest in the game! besides it is useful sometimes to study the theory or analysis of your game

D

denis77782m

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's important to play, but it's important to know how you play the best players in such distributions. Analysis of own hands. Every day you do not have to play, because you can get tired of constant voltage. After a short break, you can happily come back and start playing better!