Playing Live

L

LongRover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like playing live. I like the banter between real people. It's funny though. Playing live at Grey Eagle, I entered 7 Holdem Tournaments. I won 3. Playing online, I really don't seem to get anywhere. Now, that might bother some people. And, at times, sure, it bothers me. But, online, I try things that I would never consider elsewhere. So, I have no real complaints.

This year, my wife told me to smarten up. Maybe I will. Maybe I won't. I like the online experience. It provides a certain amount of freedom I really don't have at Grey Eagle. However, I like playing live, and maybe that is the difference. Or, maybe, I just have to smarten up like my wife tells me. When you think about it, playing online, especially at places like poker stars is playing real people too.

What is missing online is the banter, the common-dog pleasantry between players. Often, online, it turns nasty. Oh well. What is your experience???

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I like both. I find the live games to be much softer but I really enjoy the convenience of online play & of course the volume you're able to put in. Can't say I've put in a million hands of live play.. but have probably close to double that online.

Also, although I have a few poker playing friends I discuss strategy with, I don't hangout with poker players & generally speaking don't like a good percentage of them. But I do love the game!

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do like the chit chat and interaction at the tables and how some people have a poker persona that they put on at the table. I find all that very entertaining, but I also love just relaxing at home with peace and quite and playing poker. I don't chat online much.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, love that banter until it turns into angle shooting. Another non existent move when playing online really.. On the other hand if you are good at reading tells then live might be a better place to play poker.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello

I have a lot more fun playing poker live too. I would imagine you do better because the fields are much smaller in live tournaments.

D

DaNutts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think playing live you tend to play more hands versus online

I actually won more tourneys online then playing live

atleast online once the late registrations are over all the donks are not walking you down with shit cards

Last edited by a moderator:
radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems like all the people use chat for is to cuss out other players online. The positive chat is very brief after a nice hand is shown "nh" and "ty" that's about all the positive chat you get.

I like live playing better myself. Don't get me wrong, I love playing online too. I just wish I did better. I get a small bankroll going from freerolls and quickly blow it all.

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played primarily online so in my experience I feel like I'm not as good at hiding what I'm thinking, because I never need to. Additionally I'm also not quite as good at picking up tells on people. It's not that I'm not good at reading people, it's that I don't often think about it right away. It takes a few hands for me to remember that I have that tool available to me

L

LongRover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you very much for sharing your "playing live" experiences. I really enjoyed reading them, and I learned a few things by doing so!

Organize a Home Poker Game