Play Through or Take a Break?

W

Wanderer7899

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Over the past few days I'm down nearly 20 buy ins and seriously dented my bank roll.

Having carried out some self analysis the decions Ive made and the way Im playing appears to be correct and im happy with that.

But I am right in the middle of a serious bad luck spell the following two hands will show how bad!

Hand 1
on the bubble I'm SB with QQ I raise 3x just under half my stack, BB calls flop comes QQA I check, BB is chip leader and shoves he has me covered but I've got quads and insta call.

BB Showes A3o and the turn comes A followed by A on the river out as bubble boy.

Hand 2
I'm MP seriously low on chips and open shove AA

Again get called by chip leader who shows AQ,

Flopp comes AQQ Ive got top boat, turn comes J river is the case Q and Im out bubble boy again!

And thats pretty much somes up how every sng I've played since the weekend has gone!

So do I play through with 20 buy ins left, or take a break for a few days?

NoPlace4U

NoPlace4U

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a break form playing but study some more, watch poker videos, keep your head in the game.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A couple of options are to play some low stake cash game where you can sit and wait for quality hands , play some MTT's which will take up your playing since they are longer than SNG 's , or just play freerolls for a while till bad run is over.
GOOD LUCK

T

texantuner

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Push on

You keep playing. You didn't make any wrong moves so you can't help it that the odds fell out of your favor. Now if you were playing out of position and out of favor then I would suggest a break and reevaluate your decisions.

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a break and really if your afraid to place with quads over quads take a leg break. It sucks but I will out all my money in every time with that flop and be ok with outcome

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play through what you describe in your hands is fairly standard if you play enough volume online sucks but it happens so much coolers

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I;v never gotten a bad beat in hold'em. Those hands are brutal. Take a walk,watch some Alec torelli videos

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think all poker players have been through this, and my personal suggestion would be to get away from the site for a few days along with giving yourself a break with what has been happening.

steeler1970

steeler1970

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say take a little break and think about what is going wrong then go back

N

nmate

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd take a break for a couple days. do things completely unrelated to poker. movies, tv, etc.

Mexcrow

Mexcrow

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a break but just to get out of your emotional state of taking the bad beat. Give it a couple of hours maybe even a day.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I really feel for you matey...I'm going through a rough patch myselfand I did blow through my bankroll, redeposited and blew it again...so I really think it would be wise to take a step back and evaluate the situation. I'm not refering to your play...nothing wrong with that,,,but don't repeat DON'T chase your losses, you WILL blow your other 20 buyins and that will REALLY suck...very depressing.Someone said read andwatch videos and someone else said play some freerolls....both good ideas. But don't buy in again unless you feel really strong and in control..the grim reaper gets us in the form of tilt!!! Remember the games will always be there for you whenever you're ready....all the best

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just complain some more, feel better, play poker.

Mundug

Mundug

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Alwayes not win alwayes not lost forget bad think.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Absolutely correct.
You need take a break.
I guess, it will be in your favor.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play and start to lose my bankroll I make a small break in the game, it's better to take a break so as not to lose a lot and the bankroll does not become 0!

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would suggest taking a break and stepping down in stakes for a little while to regain your confidence.

W

Wanderer7899

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Couldn't stay away.

I played 3x $0.50 9man SNG Turbo's placed 1st in the first two and 2nd in the third.

Small boost to the BR

Things seem to be looking up!

J

Jimboskie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everybody says take a break. Which is good advice I think if you don't feel like you are playing up to your standards. It would not be fun to take a break and then come back to the tables and go down 20 buy ins more. What do you do then? The game is not meant for everybody.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Over the past few days I'm down nearly 20 buy ins and seriously dented my bank roll.

Having carried out some self analysis the decions Ive made and the way Im playing appears to be correct and im happy with that.

But I am right in the middle of a serious bad luck spell the following two hands will show how bad!

Hand 1
on the bubble I'm SB with QQ I raise 3x just under half my stack, BB calls flop comes QQA I check, BB is chip leader and shoves he has me covered but I've got quads and insta call.

BB Showes A3o and the turn comes A followed by A on the river out as bubble boy.

Hand 2
I'm MP seriously low on chips and open shove AA

Again get called by chip leader who shows AQ,

Flopp comes AQQ Ive got top boat, turn comes J river is the case Q and Im out bubble boy again!

And thats pretty much somes up how every sng I've played since the weekend has gone!

So do I play through with 20 buy ins left, or take a break for a few days?

I guess that these hands are "impressive and special" for you. If i'm right and you're feeling yourself upset and tilted, then you need to take a break. If you're playing alot of hands per day, like 1000+ then you'll be seeing such pretty often. Your quads will be beat once in like 20-25 times, we're always taking it as unbeatable hand, and like it's 99.99% win, but you saw it yourself... sheesh happens. And when it happens - we can't belive in it... Tilt.

I flopped a straight flush once, Clubs... J high, and there was Qd on the river, opponent has AdKd, it was so shocking. But the most shocking hand i ever saw at pokerstars was 6 way pot, 1 aggressor and 5 callers... 2 diamonds on flop and king of clubs, aggressor bets, 5 people call, one more clubs on turn, agressor bets - 5 people call, and Jd comes on river, agressor bets, and receives 5 all ins in reply, he calls and mucks, one player wins with A high diamond flush, and then madness starts at chat... i hit a replay button and you know what? 5 players hit their diamond flush, and agressor got second pair on the river. I don't see 6way pots often, but that was the first time in my 11 year poker story when i saw such hand. Royals, quads, whatever... i see them quite often and i don't even count how many royals i've seen in my life . But 5 diamond flushes in 1 hand - this is something to remember.

So in conclusion... taking a break is a good option if you're feeling some tilt, but if you're thinking that "software is against you" or "luck isn't on your side" - it's just a bullsheet. The longer your run - the better your results.

S

SlavaUa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only little break, it is like work you work a lot and after work you need to rest.

trippin

trippin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice little vacation wouldn't hurt, or just play some of the better freerolls and try to improve game,or get confidence back.

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These things happen... hopefully not often tho'... take a break to avoid tilting... study up/practice to maintain/increase your edge...

As long as you played your hand(s) right given the situation(s) is what matters... bad beats happen during the course of time... inevitable...Variance can be a downer sometimes... get over those hands and move on...

V

Vlad Savchenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess that these hands are "impressive and special" for you. If i'm right and you're feeling yourself upset and tilted, then you need to take a break. If you're playing alot of hands per day, like 1000+ then you'll be seeing such pretty often. Your quads will be beat once in like 20-25 times, we're always taking it as unbeatable hand, and like it's 99.99% win, but you saw it yourself... sheesh happens. And when it happens - we can't belive in it... Tilt.

I flopped a straight flush once, Clubs... J high, and there was Qd on the river, opponent has AdKd, it was so shocking. But the most shocking hand i ever saw at PokerStars was 6 way pot, 1 aggressor and 5 callers... 2 diamonds on flop and king of clubs, aggressor bets, 5 people call, one more clubs on turn, agressor bets - 5 people call, and Jd comes on river, agressor bets, and receives 5 all ins in reply, he calls and mucks, one player wins with A high diamond flush, and then madness starts at chat... i hit a replay button and you know what? 5 players hit their diamond flush, and agressor got second pair on the river. I don't see 6way pots often, but that was the first time in my 11 year poker story when i saw such hand. Royals, quads, whatever... i see them quite often and i don't even count how many royals i've seen in my life . But 5 diamond flushes in 1 hand - this is something to remember.

So in conclusion... taking a break is a good option if you're feeling some tilt, but if you're thinking that "software is against you" or "luck isn't on your side" - it's just a bullsheet. The longer your run - the better your results.
Well, usually the odds of losing with flopped quads are below 5%

When u have quads vs top boat, u have like 4.5% to lose a hand, and in the other cases your opponents either have to hit 2 outs in a row (which happens 1 out of 2000+ times, exact numbers depend on the amount of dead cards) or are already drawing dead.

rfbh54

rfbh54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's better to play with a break so that there is no dependence on poker.