Phil Ivey the best poker player alive?

ryhailey

ryhailey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No Ivey is not my favorite player but for sure one of my favorites. But Phil Ivey s truly putting on the greatest accomplishment in wsop history right now and he's doing it while playing 2 tournaments at a time. He has 5 final tables in the last 2 weeks.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably, and probably better than the dead ones too

Last edited:
Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He needs one more fot the record, Negranu got 5 in one series (cant remember the year) but 5 FT's is the record for one series. But ye he is exceptional

buzzmania

buzzmania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
likewise but he isnt my favorite as well but have to give credit where credit is due..

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It funny how Ivey made some of those final table, even though he was short stack. After finishing a final table he would move on to another event, being short stack because the blinds would of ate them while he was in the final table. So basically he would come in for most event late.

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he really seems to be one of the best at shifting gears and is comfortable playing any style

a lot of pros or i should say TV pros took a bit of a hit when we all got a chance to see how they played ... Ivey was affected slightly, but seemed to be able to very quickly adjust and even use it to his advantage

P

psychoiticmaniac

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I think Phil Ivey is the best poker player alive. I am a huge fan of Phil. I just like the way he bluffs >>>

P

Poker_play

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I reckon iveys #1

Durr, hellmuth, a couple others could make the claim tho

twoturntablez

twoturntablez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whilst its obv Hellmuth himself would make the claim, most of the time we see him whining about losing because he played it great, he was ahead, they were idiots, but he calls anyway, just so he could tell them how badly they played it.

I saw an episode of "the big game" which was very funny, it seems all the other guys like to see him lose/rant etc, Negranu and Tony G and Laak were playing on that occasion I think.

Hes a cool guy too though Phil eh.

ryhailey

ryhailey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have really been enjoying Hellmuth's new attitude though. Not too much whining anymore.

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you know the saying "never leave the table when you're on a heater", that's ivey right now at the wsop. he should keep playing every event he can!

danprince10

danprince10

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's the best man, if you ever get a chance look up the realiveytweets hastags on twitter. They are really really funny.

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ivey is my favorite player! Not to take anything away from his year but Phil Hellmuth is also having a hell of a year aswell. Maybe a big name pro will finally win the ME!

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll consider Phil as the greatest when he gets his 12th. bracelet.

Of course the real Phil (besides me :p) will prolly have 20 by then.

You might not like him now. And I understand why. This is Ivey's run, and it really weak compared to Hellmuth's runs, year after year.

All time best? --> Mr. Phil Hellmuth. And he has solid proof. ;)

-

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll consider Phil as the greatest when he gets his 12th. bracelet.

Of course the real Phil (besides me :p) will prolly have 20 by then.

You might not like him now. And I understand why. This is Ivey's run, and it really weak compared to Hellmuth's runs, year after year.

All time best? --> Mr. Phil Hellmuth. And he has solid proof. ;)

-

1531n44.jpg

P

Paulie8s

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
While many may agree that Ivey is indeed one of the Best poker players alive today, and one of being a key here, they may not think he the All time best. What you must factor in is what game are we talking about. While I dislike some of the actions of say Phil Hellmuth at a table his poker prowesses are indeed awesome. In Tournament Holdem to say he is the All time best could be backed by many stats, especially in tournament play, and that he is the best present or ever to play is again statistically provable. Here is the main thing it is a matter of opinion who is the best. Going by facts and stats you got to say there are several alive today in Holdem that are truly great.

What game are we speaking of, all around poker, Stud, 7 card stud, Holdem, Razz, Tahoe, HORSE, Omaha or Omaha Hi/low? What game? Each game has it's best Many would lay claim that Chip Reese was the All time best Horse player and now he's dead. Daniel Negreanu is arguably, and you can get stats to prove it, better in a live cash game of any kind than Ivey or anyone else. HE has several of bracelets to prove his prowess in poker tournament play. You really got to get specific with a claim. All around players there are several really good ones who is the best is a matter of what day it is and game it is. For me Live cash Holdem and general poker ie Omaha, or Horse ect, Daniel Negreanu, Phil Ivey, Tom Dwan, Doyle Brunson, Chip Reese would be the All time best. Yes Arguably you can throw in a few other names but cash in accounts get the money in right and winning them are the top 5 names in my humble opinion.

So No Ivey's not The Best but he is Great and one of The best. Ohhh ya when he passes Hellmuth's 12 bracelets and 11 of them being in Holdem I might look at him in a different light. One of the bracelets he missed he was heads up against Hellmuth on Razz and Hellmuth got #12 playing Ivey heads up..... Great Post
:marchmell:marchmell:marchmell:marchmell:marchmell

midgetfactory

midgetfactory

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my favourite player of all time has to be doyle brunson, no one can argue he isnt the greatest

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think many people can argue Doyle isnt the best mainly because... he isnt. No doubt he is a good player and was one of the best in his day but nowadays the young players run over him at the big events

Organize a Home Poker Game