percentage of hands played

D

dumpy620_84

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive read a few threads here about the % of hands you should be playing and the tight players seem to agree 20-25% is about the right amount.
I consider myself a VERY tight/semi aggressive player and mine seems quite a bit higher than that.
heres an example .... a one hour sess tonight
70 hands 8-10 handed the whole hour
flops seen 26 or 37%......won 12% on flop
turns seen 13 ......won 0% on turn
rivers seen 11 .....won 73% (I lost 2, 1 checked down the whole hand and cost me 2 BBs and the other I was just beat but still didnt cost a lot)
I started this sess with a 50 BB buyin and was at 248 BB when I left.

and yes I do realize a one hour sess tells you nothing, but I check my stats after (and during) every session (I dont have the tracking software I just use the one the sites provide and review it after every session I play)and this one is a little high but they seem to run about 32-35% on the flops seen.

My question is does this higher % seem like it could be a problem in the long run that I should be looking at?

thanks in advance

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your sample size is small, but if you are routinely playing 30% or more of hands, that is too loose in most circumstances.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What stakes, what game ? NLHE, LHE, PLO, .... ?

If this is NLHE at non micro stakes, this is very loose.

D

deumsac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just seeing the flop counts as a hand played right? As in, seeing the flop is the same as seeing the turn and then folding/winning? Like any hand where you see the flop or more is considered a hand played?

I'm pretty sure I don't play near 20% of my hands. I guess I'm too tight then, but it depends on circumstances maybe...

I'm talking about SitnGos, and MTT's.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In my opinion a lot of it depends on your style.

You stated that you are a VERY tight/semi aggressive player.
If you are VERY tight, then yes 32% to 35% seems a little high.

May I ask:
Is your goal to play your style at the highest level possible or to improve you game no matter if it involves changing your style a bit or not.

There is nothing wrong with being Very tight as long as when you get the cards you have players that will call you.
icon14.gif

If I were a tight player and by the way I'm am squeak-eee tight.
lol
Ok
I am anything but tight.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

If I were, I would play my game.
But find a way to create a Loose Table image.
This way you will get callers when you have the nuts and still remain in your comfort zone.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Good Luck at the Tables

icon6.gif

diamond_06_06

diamond_06_06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You said you consider yourself as VERY tight?? Seeing 37% of flops is nowhere near tight but extremely loose (although 70 hands is such a tiny sample size).

Can a player win money while seeing 37% of flops? Well the answer is, as Roller says, 'depends on your style'. If you are limping and calling raises to see flops then I would say definately no. If however you are an agressive player, raising most times to see a flop, you have good post flop skills, can read hands well and are good at discerning the board texture, then yes you can make money, and lots of it.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it depends on what percentage of the flops seen were you the preflop agressor, and what percentage did you limp or call someone elses raise to see a flop.

R

RA2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always depends on many points!
Do you play cash game or tournements. Is the table tight or aggressive?
How many chips money do the other players have...
As you see their is no rule. Play your style and you will make it!
Probably it is easier to play tight....

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like everyone has said it all depends. Today in a $11 tourney I held around 20%, very aggressive table, did well.

I played a low limit tourney ($2 + .75, $10K guarantee), everyone at my table was pretty tight, I stayed in on 46% of the hands running people over.

At a cash table today (.50/$1.00) I held around 14%, aggressive table, when I won pots they were big ones. At another cash table, same stakes, I got a lot of good preflop hands, couldn't connect, had around 36% flops seen and lost my a$$.

So it really does depend on a lot of factors.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands