Patience an important skill?

MIljanho

MIljanho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is patience most important thing in poker?

Mason Pye

Mason Pye

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is a very important factor in poker, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it was the most important. When you've just begun a deep-structured tournament when the blinds are low compared to your stack, you need to be patient in the fact that you'll usually be waiting for premium hands before getting involved as you're normally play tight at that stage of the tournament. Another time for when patience is key, is when you lose a big pot and you're stack becomes crippled. Instead of going all-in the with your next random hand, wait for your spot, don't rush and be patient before you go all in with your remaining stack. Hope this helps.

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably the top 3 in importance IMO esp in tourneys.

robertocoelho

robertocoelho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course we have the knowledge of the game, more patience is very important to stay focused on the game, because they play mtt, sng will be about 3 hours playing.

L

lukeellul92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is more important in cash games I feel then tournaments, depending on the tourneys you play!

Structure etc in a tournament decides if patience is key or not.

But in cash, you need to have the discipline to sit and fold and fold and fold for hours and hours if you must.

angeliks

angeliks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is something very important in poker. insurance if you lose you're out.
in my case I lose when I have a good hand and lose, almost always the reason I'm out cuel tournaments

migueldpt

migueldpt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Paciencia

on occasion should be patient, but when the cards do not work out that we want to know that they play with us:smile:

C

capara20

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in poker u must have patience. period .

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
it takes patience but grind at the right time also is part

it takes patience but grind at the right time also is part , strong hand grinding, weak fold hand the professional grind even with weak hand , skill is acquired with patience and study, have to have patience to analyze their
game
and improve

zarrmonster

zarrmonster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, it is important, especially in large tournaments. You need patience to out last all the donks!

almanik

almanik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is the most important thing in poker. If you have it, you can win money even if you don't know nothing more. If you have no patience, all the skills that you have will be weaker.

R

ricardohneto

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the mosts... I have a big trouble with tilt control due to my lack of patience...

rawbad

rawbad

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
that's half of your skills in poker you don't have patience you will not be a good poker player

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

i dont know if its the most important thing, however you have to be patient in poker in order to be a successful player however there are other important things as well like avoid playing when you are on tilt, having good reads, a good bankroll managment, know the best spot to make a bluff and a good calculation of the pot odds and your outs to win a hand.

Last edited:
veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is important but not the only thing , really should not lose patience

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience, power and position, it is listed first.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Re: Patience

I believe patience is a top 3 quality in a good player but I feel that the ability to learn to identify what your opponents strengths, weaknesses and tendencies is the MOST crucial skill to poker success. And learning what the other players are doing, or what they may do takes patience and observation. I see a lot of players talking about position, stack size, ect. but no one seems to mention reading ability and that's common because it's a rare thing to find someone who concentrates hard enough on the game to understand when and why a player is making a certain move. Just about everyone can identify the rock, when he/she makes a big preflop raise you know it's because they have a monster; similarly, the same is true with the maniac who wants to push with any suited junk and roll the dice. But being able to identify the other players, like the big blind defender, the button raiser, someone who always CB's the flop no matter what hits when you already know that he has a medium pair; these are the things that will make a good player into a great one. I value hand strength and position, but if I know that I can push my stack all in middle position because all of the players behind me are super tight and will fold anything but premium hands, that's info that I can use to my advantage regardless of anything else. And online poker makes it easier to do than live tourneys and cash games because in most places you can take notes so that not only can you know how a player plays at this moment, but you can track their game over time. Some people play the same way over and over, but that isn't the majority. Most people hone their skills and modify their game over time, others play according to their moods, still others play differently depending on their bankrolls, and there are those who seem to play great for awhile but then have a blowup. You will be amazed by what you can learn about a player by tracking them throughout a few tournaments. By the middle stages of most tournaments I enter I have at least a few notes on every player that I've sat with (and of course I keep updating, even when I am fortunate enough to make it to heads up), this info always pays off! By that time you are pretty accurately putting your opponents on a range of hands depending on those documented tendencies and you should know how to play back at them successfully. The added bonus is that when you stick to a few different sites, you will come to realize that you are seeing the same people over and over and you will already have reads on them.
So, yes, patience is really a big key to poker. But not in the traditional way people think about what having patience is. Use your patience to learn what the other people are doing (and why) and your profits will soar.

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without patience we tend to make wrong moves, play hands that shouldn't be played. Risk is too high!! And it's higher if there are other problems bothering you, or there are something happening that upsets you.
If you stop to think, everything in poker revolves around patience.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a $1000 GTD at BCP the other day, and for the first 1 1/2 hours all I caught was enough hands to keep me at or around 5000 starting chips. After that I started winning some good pots for about 30 minutes and had about 20,000 chips, but again the same dry spell happened again. All I could do was fold for awhile. Long story short, I took 3rd for $168. In long MTTs you need patience more than ever. At least at cash tables you can get up and leave if you get are not hitting any hands. GL to you

I

insidious96

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes because if you ever finding yourself itching to get into a game, or frustrated by being card dead, just remember that patience is not just a virtue, in a card player, it's a means to profit.

MIljanho

MIljanho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice

Nice advices i got in this Thread. Its realy helpfull to chat with you ppl thanks

L

ljstephens11

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say that of all the mistakes and bad plays I make at the table, 80% can be put down to me being impatient for one reason or another.