Opinion: Pre-Session Meditation- BenCB Style

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently watched a 3 part MTT review featuring Jamie Staples and BenCB. If you're unfamiliar with these names, Jamie is a Twitch Poker regular, and BenCB is a long-time MTT crusher who provides coaching sessions via Raise Your Edge.

Anyway, in one of the videos, Jamie brings up the topic of tilt and asks BenCB how he deals with bad beats, and how he stays focused despite them. I found BenCB's response interesting, and was wondering not only how the CardsChat community deals with bad beats, but moreso-if they've ever tried something like this.

I'm paraphrasing, but basically BenCB stated that before every session, he meditates. Pretty common among poker players, but he also added that while he is meditating, he is imagining the worst bad beats and suckouts in his head, replaying them over and over again. He claims that by doing this before a session, it reduces his tilt level when the bad beats do happen, as he has already seen them play out, and in a way "expected" them to occur. He claims that by doing this, he gets all of his tilt out in his meditation, so when he gets sucked out on or loses to runner-runner, he remains calm as if it didn't even happen.

Personally, I have never done anything like this. I've meditated a few times before sessions, but mainly just to clear my mind and get in a relaxed state. I'm curious if anyone here has done anything even remotely close to this, and what effect it had on their gameplay and their state of mind. It seems to be working well for Ben.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even Olympic high Divers that have done the same flip 100,000 times, still prepare mentally for the action

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are a full-time poker player, I imagine it's hard to grind every day without dedicating quiet time for meditation rituals. Some people do it with yoga mats and incense sticks, but for others it's simply closing the eyes and breathing deep.

Gripsed has some material that covers the subject.