Opening a Poker Site

akrocket82

akrocket82

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Guys,

I'm looking into opening my own poker site/room possibly in the next year or two, I've already found alot of information on it, but I need much more, if anyone is knowledgeable on the subject or knows where to get more information, could you please PM me or post on here.

Thanks!

Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The better the site, the more cost your going to have. I've actually thought about doing the same thing. Here is what I came up with last I checked.

First off you have to have an offshore gambling license. This is a decent fee (I listed below). Then you have to have a program, or pay a company to build you the software for you. This can cost anywhere from $100,000 - $500,000 depending no how in depth you go, how nice it looks ect....Not to mention that when you first open your not going to make money, because you have to pay you debts for one. Also a HUGE thing...You have to have money in your bank to pay out all of the money your customers will be winning. Once your debt is paid and you get more customers you will start making money. Just like ANY business you WONT make money day one, hell maybe not even for a couple of years.
The biggest thing that will help you is you have to have great promotions and the best in customer support. If people have problems they will not come back.

Jurisdiction License Fee:
Anjounan - $17,500 + $10,000 Legal Fees
Grenada - $40,000 + $20,000 Legal Fees
Antigua - $75,000 + $10,000 Legal
Mohawk Territory (canada) - $10,000 + $15,000 Legal
Costa Rica - $100 + $5,000 Legal
Alderney - $75,000 + $10,000 Legal
Panama - $60,000 + $20,00 Legal

Last edited:
aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, don't forget that you will have to move out of the country and will probably never be able to come back to the United States.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, ask billionaire Calvin Ayre (founder of bodog) when the last time he visited his native Canada was...

DaFrench1

DaFrench1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jurisdiction License Fee:
Anjounan - $17,500 + $10,000 Legal Fees
Grenada - $40,000 + $20,000 Legal Fees
Antigua - $75,000 + $10,000 Legal
Mohawk Territory (Canada) - $10,000 + $15,000 Legal
Costa Rica - $100 + $5,000 Legal
Alderney - $75,000 + $10,000 Legal
Panama - $60,000 + $20,00 Legal

Costa Rica it is then! :cool:

Cheezymadman

Cheezymadman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Costa Rica should be considered out of bounds, it's a US territory.

EDIT: :D I'm thinking of Puerto Rico. Nevermind.

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't Bodog based out of CR? My boss goes to visit them when he goes fishing in Costa Rica.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe Bodog's licensed by UK and CR governments. I'm not sure where they actually do business and call headquarters.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea it sounds like a lot of money and trouble just to get started. :eek:

Seriously? I have (almost) that much unsecured credit in my wallet right now...

Last edited:
larkem

larkem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do it man if you have the $$$ do it!!! Cant be worse than Absolute:p

PokerProBetZip

PokerProBetZip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Go for it.. At least waste your money on something big :)

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, ask billionaire Calvin Ayre (founder of Bodog) when the last time he visited his native Canada was...

What evidence do you have that he is in trouble in Canada?

It is true that there are laws prohibiting businesses to engage in gambling, but Bodog DOES NOT accept Canadian residents. So he is not violating any canadian gambling laws.

Also, unlike the US, any other country (except the Philippines, I think) doesn't tax its citizens if they are not resident in their country. So he is not violating any tax laws either.

He even has real estate in Canada. Why would he have assets in Canada if he thought he was breaking any laws?

If you know something I don't, I would like to hear it.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Guys,

I'm looking into opening my own poker site/room possibly in the next year or two, I've already found alot of information on it, but I need much more, if anyone is knowledgeable on the subject or knows where to get more information, could you please PM me or post on here.

Thanks!

akrocket82, the main issues to address are software, jurisdiction and marketing.

As far as I know, you basically have 3 options regarding software:
  1. Get a skin in an existing poker network
  2. Select software from an existing poker site developer, and license it
  3. Go all the way and develop your own software
With 1), you basically become a marketing person for that network. It is very cheap to start, you have no software issues to deal with, you have poker game activity from the network, but you have very little flexibility and earn less.

With 2), your troubles are considerably more, including software, getting volume, and so on.

With 3), you have the biggest upfront expense, the most profit if you make it, and the least chance to make it. You would be competing with pokerstars, partypoker and full tilt poker.

In all cases, you need to deal with jurisdictional issues and possibly relocate yourself. Crummy's summary in this regard is very nice.

I don't know much about marketing, but you will have to somehow market another mouse trap. I don't want to discourage you. Just be realistic how you will get customers.

If you decide to do it, I wish you good luck.

P.S. BTW, I am currently developing a poker site software. I intend to use it (whenever I finish it) for non-commercial purposes, just fun games for play money and freerolls. If you need something to get you started under option 2, I might be able to help you there (unless there are legal issues). Just keep in mind I am not in this business and have no intention to be in it.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do believe I just read he has been back to Canada, even though he settled an insider trading case against him nearly ten years ago. Looks to be in the clear to me.

Setting up a company, software and actually getting it going will be a huge expense IMO. Not to mention legal fees, copyrights, patents, lawsuits .. .etc.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've actually considered writing my own poker software as well, just for fun. The toughest part IMO is the RNG. The rest of it's pretty basic. Of course once you have software, you still have to be able to move out of the country (if you're in the US), market your product VERY well, probably give out bonuses and such that lose you money in the short run but win you money in the long run (for example duplicate poker is giving a free $10 to anyone who gets an account, if you do something like that everyone would at least try it out, and if you can get them hooked, the ones who bust may reload. Just remember that there are already sites out there offering 100% and sometimes more bonuses, so you would be competing with them as well (full tilt mainly comes to mind). Good luck.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you do start a poker site have a 10,000$ + freeroll for CC, or give us all a 50 $ sign up no deposit bonus lol

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As soon as my BR reaches $1,000,000 I'm setting up my own site...

I'm almost there!

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did anyone even think he could be talking about a WEB SITE? :rolleyes: