online slowrolling

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anybody else do this? hit the timebank with AA in a cash game to really try and tilt somebody. horrible etiquette and somewhat ridiculous but highly effective against bad/gambling players. I don't do this myself but is it really so bad to do if you KNOW that it is going to work and give you a significant advantage? Seriously if you do this and then a player reloads and as soon as you raise a button with a semi-legit hand like 99 they just do something insane like jam it for 90 BB and you call them and they have 86o. I'm not saying I do this, i'm just saying I have seen it happen before and it got me thinking.

another thing is the people who utilize their timebanks late in sit n go's when they have a significant chip advantage, always thought that was interesting as well

H

houtlijm

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
imo using your timebank unnecessarily is pretty lame. just play your a-game and try to beat the others that way. you don't like it yourself i guess

mapt02h

mapt02h

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will only do it if someone else uses it against me, which is pretty rare in itself. I do find it to be a douchy thing to do though, hence why I reserve it only for those out there that deserve it :p

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it at the end of tournements near the money bubble if I have a short stack

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hardly ever do it normally when I knock them out I say gg and gl and same if I get knocked out but if they were saying rude things to me ill just say thx for the chops may you for ever be a losing poker player lmfao

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I must say it is very rare I see someone slowrolling online. And sure, I hate it, for obvious reasons :p

LongJohn45

LongJohn45

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it myself, not that often though. Deception is part of the game. A good player should always read the bets before they read the player. If someone pushes with a big bet, there's a good chance they got something good, regardless of how long they waited to do it. And in my experience, if someone waits a really long time, like 45 seconds or a minute, than it seems more obvious that there just bluffing or something.

It can be a tough decision to make, but I think its better to over-estimate your opponent than to assume if that player is weak, therefore all his bets must be weak. They probably aren't.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it myself, not that often though. Deception is part of the game. A good player should always read the bets before they read the player. If someone pushes with a big bet, there's a good chance they got something good, regardless of how long they waited to do it. And in my experience, if someone waits a really long time, like 45 seconds or a minute, than it seems more obvious that there just bluffing or something.

It can be a tough decision to make, but I think its better to over-estimate your opponent than to assume if that player is weak, therefore all his bets must be weak. They probably aren't.
you might want to find out what slowrolling actually is

Q

Quasimodo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you really consider timing out a strategy? Blinds go up by the clock so just clocksucking is like hyperturbo in slow motion. Nothing worse than a clock suckin drag queen.

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
mmm...Do you know what slowrolling is?? What ur doing is not slowrolling...I enjoy slowrolling, it gets u huge pay off again loose aggressive player like the Russians/Ukraines etc.... Now of course none of that will make senseto u if u don'tactual know what slowrolling is lol

D

dead homie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
theres nothing wrong with hitting time with aces. poker is a game of deception isnt it? make em think your weak.

Blackfeet888

Blackfeet888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All fair in love and war, they make rules and have time banks for a reason sometimes i just use my time bank to upset the stride of some grinding multi table worker :) I love multi tablers there just so much fun how good do they actually think they go with virtually no game. it's a good thing they get a boost for being good little turnover helper's and isn't it considerate of the network to give them the info they need to actually be able to still show a profit with no game lol i love em :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
mmm...Do you know what slowrolling is?? What ur doing is not slowrolling...I enjoy slowrolling, it gets u huge pay off again loose aggressive player like the Russians/Ukraines etc.... Now of course none of that will make senseto u if u don'tactual know what slowrolling is lol
Do you know what it is?:confused:

z28_RoadRage

z28_RoadRage

Road Warrior
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There i no such thing as slowROLLING pre-flop... you are slowPLAYING.

Slow rolling is when you have the absolute nuts and then use the timebank to call their push.

Slowrolling is very bad etiquette and a thing you shouldn't do.

Slow playing has it's advantages, but I rarely use my timebank.

Bowman26

Bowman26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always considered slow rolling to mean being really slow to turn over your cards when you have the nuts. But this is with live play. I don't see how you can slow roll in this fashion online. Sure you can wait knowing you have the dead nuts if you want before calling a all in etc but I think that just makes you look like a fool that didn't even know he had the dead nuts and had to think about it first.

Funny I actually had someone accuse me so "slow rolling" Aces in a MTT. He raised 4x the BB in front of me and I had a nice stack but still had several people behind to act yet and one was about the same size stack as me and another was bigger. So instead of jamming and potentially losing all my chips getting my Aces cracked I tripled his bet with my raise hoping it was enough to get me heads up with the original raiser, which it did and when the action came back around to him he called and checked the flop and I bet 1/2 the pot and he folds. I decided to show him my AA and he says nice slow roll.

He said me taking a moment to make my bet with Aces was slow rolling. For the life of me I couldn't get him to understand AA isn't a guaranteed winning hand come the river and with several people still to act with large stacks I had to decide whether to raise or jam at that moment. He just couldn't grasp the concept that I didn't want to put my entire stack at risk with AA preflop. I will do that at times but not this deep in a tourney with as many chips as I had. I don't because idiots like this guy that probably raised with 89o just might think he is getting odds and call only to hit his miracle.

So all of you that have come here and said people don't know what slow rolling is I have noticed none of you has explained it for us either. So what is your idea of slow rolling?

F

Frankie6636

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slowrolling should be ILLEGAL IN POKER. It is not fair that some people have to get slowrolled. It can mess with them emotionally and mentally. I really hope that there is something done to prevent slowrollers. It ruins the game for everyone.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, don't think some people ITT know what slowrolling really means. People are really talking about 3 different things it seems: slowrolling, slowplaying, and using up the clock.

Slowrolling means you have the absolute nuts -- YOU CANNOT LOSE NO MATTER WHAT -- and are closing the action, i.e other player(s) all in, you're last to act, no other action can be taken after yours, and you take your time with calling. Or worse, you hollywood while stalling. Slowrolling should NEVER be done, unless maybe it's in jest between friends or something. It's really one of the worst breaches of etiquette in poker. Even when it's done to you, be the bigger person and don't do it in retaliation. There is really never a justification to slowroll anyone. Yes poker can be a cutthroat game, but there is still some lines that should never be crossed.

However some people think slowrolling is taking your time with a big hand that you'd almost never fold, but it's not the absolute nuts. This is NOT slowrolling in many peoples' view (and mine). This could be taking your time to ensure yourself that your hand is as strong as you think it is, or to take a moment to try and really narrow opponents range to be sure he can't nut you, or that you've actually read the board correctly (I've second-guessed myself here a few times myself), etc. Some think if you don't snap call a preflop shove with AA, it's slowrolling. It's not. You'll still lose ~20% of the time. And there can be some rare tournament situations where even folding AA preflop can be justified, so someone might take a moment to consider that before finally calling. Of course context is everything, so if someone is being an obvious jerk while doing this to tilt his opponent on purpose, then I think it probably crosses into the realm of slowrolling.

OTOH slowplaying is where you take a passive approach with a strong hand, like limping or calling, trying to keep players in the hand or to induce action from more aggressive players. This is a perfectly legit and accepted strategy, albeit often overdone especially by bad or beginner players.

Using up the clock to an excessive amount may be bad manners, but is not egregious like slowrolling. In small doses it might be used to create false timing tells against certain opponents, like a form of hollywooding to act like you're unsure of your hand, again to induce certain action.

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
truthfully i dont think many players take that into consideration bc alot of players online are playing in multiple games and take awhile to act.

burgdogky

burgdogky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Taking your time with AA preflop is not slow rolling, rather a deception move which I have used countless times and works more often than not. However, having the the asbsolute nuts and taking your time to roll over your hand is just plain rude!!

TimboJonez

TimboJonez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the opponents money is all-in preflop and u are taking your time with AA that is a dirty ass slowroll!

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the opponents money is all-in preflop and u are taking your time with AA that is a dirty ass slowroll!
Read what dmorris said a few posts before yours. It's only slowrolling if you are closing the action. If there's still anyone to act after you, then taking your time is just taking your time.

TimboJonez

TimboJonez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im just refering to the situation I experienced where I pushed on a guy with KK and he was the only one left to act and he maxxed out his timebank with AA... tell me that isn't dirty?

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im just refering to the situation I experienced where I pushed on a guy with KK and he was the only one left to act and he maxxed out his timebank with AA... tell me that isn't dirty?
First off, this is more specific than what you posted before.

Also, even in cases where someone is last to act pre-, there can be unusual circumstances where he might not call immediately with AA. For example, on or near the bubble of a tournament where just min-cashing is significant to that player and he's thinking about folding.

Outside of such unusual situations, not calling immediately with AA when last to act is poor etiquette. Technically, an argument can be made that it's not slowrolling because to slowroll, you have to know you'll win the hand, which can't be the case until all the cards have been dealt.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Outside of such unusual situations, not calling immediately with AA when last to act is poor etiquette. Technically, an argument can be made that it's not slowrolling because to slowroll, you have to know you'll win the hand, which can't be the case until all the cards have been dealt.
This. As I said before, someone intentionally/repeatedly running out the clock with AA preflop when they're last to act is obviously being a jerk, so they're probably as much an asshole as if they slowrolled.

But the strict definition of a slowroll is to delay while having no doubt you hold the winning hand. Which is impossible preflop, ergo it's impossible to slowroll preflop.