Omaha Hi-Lo vs. Hi: difference in variance?

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which usually have lower variance (meaning less swings in performance graphs)? Hi-Lo variants or Hi?

I keep reading PLO8 has less swings that regular PLO, and same for Stud 8 because you get to split pots.

Is this true?

Do any of them swing less than holdem?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find that hi-lo/PLO8 results in a LOT of split pots. So I guess technically that means less variance, since you're not losing as often. You're also not actually winning much either. NL Hold'em has a huge variance lead on any pot limit game especially one that has a low variant like PLO8.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no stats, but I get better results from PLO8. There's more math involved which confuses a lot of players. Nothing better than a player chasing a low when you have nut hi.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
From my experience Omaha hi/low for sure.

I think in part because it is easy to identify the potential nut low and therefore easier to enter the pot no matter what might prevail on the high side (this would be the flip side to wyoming4paul's comment!)

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not true! In PLO8, anything can happen. People with weak heart shouldn't play this...lol
Flop nut flush...will lose(often)
Turn nut boat...will lose(slightly less often)
River the ultimate nuts(yet you split the pot with the Lo)

I have been playing alot of this mirco 0.01/0.02 PLO8 on ACR recently. I realized that even though the LO will guarantee you half the pot but very often it ended up as 3 or even 4 way split, resulting a lost instead of 'money back'.

Also, to jam on the river with intention to grab the LO pot is really unwise but you are putting in more money to be raked knowingly it will be split. I know some will think it's like a semi bluff but no, it's an imbecile decision to do some.

T

thug223

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
All i can say PLO is wild if you play Zoom , trust me

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my experience Omaha hi/low for sure.

I think in part because it is easy to identify the potential nut low and therefore easier to enter the pot no matter what might prevail on the high side (this would be the flip side to wyoming4paul's comment!)

That's a good point. I still sometimes have to go look how I won/lost a hand.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which usually have lower variance (meaning less swings in performance graphs)? Hi-Lo variants or Hi?

I keep reading PLO8 has less swings that regular PLO, and same for Stud 8 because you get to split pots.

Is this true?

Do any of them swing less than holdem?
I don’t like Omaha Hi-Lo. I know the rules and a lot about this game, but I don’t like it when I have a winning combination of 100% and we take it and divide it in half with the players, I prefer to play regular Omaha where if I have a combination of 100 % then I can win and not share with any of the players, so if you like to win and not share it is better to play regular Omaha

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys :), glad to know it's less variance than regular PLO which I'm quite frankly terrified to play lol.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
That's a good point. I still sometimes have to go look how I won/lost a hand.

As basic as possible, with Hi/Lo I am immediately into the pot if I am dealt A 2 within my four cards as it the foundation for the nut low. Does not always work- if low cards do not hit the flop etc- but you know precisely where you stand.

I have more confidence in those two cards than I have to holding AA and seeing/expecting them to improve!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys :), glad to know it's less variance than regular PLO which I'm quite frankly terrified to play lol.

ventrolloquist-

I am a broken record on this but PLO/Omaha in general have changed in recent times. True, Omaha has always drawn an element attracted to gamble/high variance.

However, within a serious format (a European championship for instance), Omaha is a fascinating game played almost exclusively post flop. Sophisticated players seldom make flamboyant pre flop raises, they see the flop then yet proceed with caution as the hand unwinds through the turn and then river. To be cliched, it is like playing chess. Beautiful to watch.

The media in recent times has televised high rollers playing a wild, gambling version of Omaha/PLO so as to attract viewers. Before that it was regarded too cerebral, complex and boring to televise. Having dumbed the game down, a newer audience has been habituated to thinking this is how to play Omaha. It's wild and swingy, it's cray-cray and fun! Because of this, I avoid playing it as frequently as I once did.

My advice, however, would be to always dip back into Omaha/PLO and give it another try- hopefully you can find a session where people are playing in a measured way and you will start to get a glimpse of what an absorbing/fulfilling game it can be! In the interim, keep trying the Hi/Lo version as at least you will not get battered to bits quite so hard!

Last edited: