Is omaha a strategy game or just a raise and call game?

5dcanela

5dcanela

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always asked myself this question.

In all the omaha tournaments that most players play, they always have to raise and call even if they have a losing hand or have nothing and their type of game is aggressive.

How can I deal with this type of player?

Drumsound

Drumsound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha (especially PLO) is a game of close equities. It favors people who like to gamble and play for luck. Until you get to the elite, high stakes folks who think more uniquely and play above the rim. Phil Galfond comes to mind...

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
You mean your opponents never fold? Well, in this case play only strong starting hands, which hit the flops in awesome ways. Bet/call your monster draws and always try to acquire the nuts. If they never fold, you'll be able to extract maximum value when you have it, so you can afford to be more selective about your starting hands. Except when you are playing some short stack 6-max turbo tournament... The variance in Omaha tournaments is terrible when you can't afford to wait for good hands.

There are less pure bluffing opportunities in Omaha, 'cause it's rather rare to hold complete air. Most bluffs are semi-bluffs.

Many players overvalue their hands, though, so not everyone is aggressive because of aggressive playstyle.

Against complete maniacs it's pretty tough, 'cause they don't give you good odds to draw post-flop. If they bet every hand, I'd probably try to isolate them with a good pre-flop hand like one containing AA or double-pair. These are good 1v1 hands. If there are several maniacs... expect high variance :|

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
omaha is the type of poker that is most difficult for me, they all seem to call anything and the PLO makes the game more difficult maybe if omaha was NL it was simpler but sometimes it seems to me that most of the players in omaha just like to play bingo and there is no defined strategy so it is very difficult to know how to act before these players everything seems to depend on luck I think that in omaha the strategy practically does not exist

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't try to out flip the flippers..

When in a situation, surrounded by call raise Omaha play, either try to isolate them, or don't play their game. Unless you are at the super high blind stage, it's not the end of the world to fold a marginal hand.

J

JRTHEKING

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make sure the odds are in your favor at all times and don't be drawing to less than the nuts on straights and flushes. Starting hands are also important. A lot of people new to it think because they have four cards they can speculate more. Not true. Any four will not do :D Also...bluffing in any variation of Omaha is vastly overrated.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In all the omaha tournaments that most players play, they always have to raise and call even if they have a losing hand or have nothing and their type of game is aggressive.

Patience, the winner is the one who can wait. Take your time and wait for a good position.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Play very tight ranges preflop. Omaha has no antes and doesn't require loose play.

When you play tight ranges you will dominate your opponents draws and set often with nut draws, better wraps, and better sets.

When stacks get shallow however, yes, you want to get it in a bit wider, but this is only when you're under 8 Big Blinds. And anytime above that waiting for AAxx or strong KKxx hands and good rundowns is a fine strategy.

You'd be suprised just how far this strategy can take you!

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a numbers game, the more cards to aver games, there are more odds and outs.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to do well in Omaha. It was also a very good way of picking up points at ring games. I don't like any hi lo games though, It does require far more concentration though and you really do need to be only calling off with the nuts. Any pair on the board is usually bad news.

Omaha freerolls probably not worth bothering it's a lottery

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PLO is extremely profitable if you take the time to get good at it. The irony is that their is no single poker model for PLO that will be successful. The main thing with PLO is adjusting your play. I'd recommend playing a bunch of HU PLO, this will speed up your leaelear curve and help you understand that PLO is all about board texture and exploiting fear. GL!

Top 10 Games