Offline poker game for practice?

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone know of a good Holdem game to use for practice when you cant get online? I would think that none would really be accurate, I tried one from big fish games and could tell quickly it was programed to give you an edge. Thanks for any replies.

***Updated:

A lot of people are still looking at this thread for answers on what to do when you can't get online to play so updating this a bit. I agree with those below who suggested spending some time reading some good poker books. There are some listed here:

Ultimate Guide to Poker Strategy Books

There are also more recent threads for discussion here:

Best Holdem Poker book? Suggestions?
Poker books that changed your life

Last edited by a moderator:
D

daOracle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
wsop 2008 Battle for the bracelets was the best I played but it was super slow. For android "million dollar poker" is realy nice
For PC you should try "Texas holdem poker deluxe edition" or if you're a patient person WSOP 2008 Battle for the bracelets

B

BomTombadil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the main goal is to improve your game I think you'd be way better off reading poker books in the office instead of using a poker simulator type computer program.

M

MK8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately I don't think there are any offline simulations that would be any good at preparing you for real money cash games. You're better off depositing at micro stakes (if you can afford it) and learning where decisions are influenced by money.

soncheebs

soncheebs

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Throw a hundred dollars on BlackChip or AmericasCardRoom, and start 2 tabling microstakes...dedicate a couple hours each session to playing and at least an hour of analyzing your play, i.e. if a hand bugged you or confused you, post on here, there are tons of gifted players on here that can help you start thinking more analytically about your play. Don't waste your time or money with offline software, you need real opponents for real growth and results.

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys. I was thinking it would be better to just practice against real people.I will leave the games alone.

edge28

edge28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah ofc. Go for play money games at the main sites, that's the better training

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah ofc. Go for play money games at the main sites, that's the better training
Yeah, I am going camping soon so i was thinking i could play on my lap top, away from the internet, its only a 3 day trip so I can wait. Man I'm addicted lol.:confused:

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys. Can anyone recommend a good one? I only play tournament NL holdem right now, but I also want to learn cash games.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kill Everyone is probably the better all-around book out there right now. Harrington on Online Cash Games might be a good read (never read it), and John A's book is about the best I've read for cash plus it's free. Dan Negreanu's book is probably good for reasonably tight deepstack MTTs. Not sure what books would be good for SNGs and like turbo MTTs etc. though.

B

BomTombadil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that Kill Everyone is a fantastic book, but it's about sng's and tournaments, not cash. Yes, the newer edition does have a 6 max cash chapter, but for a cash book I'd suggest something else. The Harrington on cash books are pretty good. There's a lesser known cash book called No-Limit Texas Hold'em - A Complete Course by Angel Largay that I think is quite good and has a few nuggets that I've not seen in any other book (and I've read 3 dozen plus of em.) If it's your first book on cash games I'd recommend the Harington on Cash books though. They are a very good starting point.

J

jcdagenius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also suggest playing against yourself in a nine handed game..... ive done this plenty when I first started and it helped me a lot as far as flops and reading hands and also how boards come out....trust me this will help you if you try it....knda crazy but it works

X

xlmnx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Offline poker

When it come down to offline poker i usually round some boys up from the hood for a house game, and some grilling cant beat it. But for offline poker im not a fan because of the pace of the games. Hard to get on a roll if its really slow poker.

muckaveli

muckaveli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with previous posts....getting a book would def increase your knowledge..you can buy digital copies from amazon or google play books

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

J

jcdagenius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also try railing real money games .....you can learn alot....rail online games and you can see a big difference in play and analyze whats going on.

A

A9ofHearts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely go with a book and if you are taking a laptop with download a bunch of your HH and review them while you are gone.
I think it's good to take a break from the game for a few days every once in awhile and just refocus and analyze your play.
have fun

muckaveli

muckaveli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with jcdagenius...railing can teach you a lot...when I bust out of a tournament I dont just close the window...I will sit there and railbird while taking
notes about players I can crush or those who I am certain are better than me (based on previous games vs)

Also as A9ofhearts stated, take your computer and review your gameplay....AND your opponents gameplay....use the most of your non internet time to study your leaks or the leaks of others...

luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont play these simulation game.I even dont play thouse playmoney game of real people.That is not real poker.For me,reading book and play real money,again and again.

imafish

imafish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The two that I know of are Poker Academy Pro and Wilson Turbo Texas Hold'em. I think there are some threads about them on twoplustwo, so you should read up on them and decide.

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker Academy Pro seems to have come back to life.
I think Wilson is limit only?

curly

curly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if your still interested in something offline to try, there is an older program I have used called dd poker, its free download so if you google it you should find it no problem. Actually its name in my programs list is DD poker 3 so apparently they have had previous versions of their software.

muckaveli

muckaveli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just checked it out...might be good for something...will post back a review tonight

midgetfactory

midgetfactory

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
offline poker, cant compare to the real thing or playing online. thats where you get the experience and build your player profile. bit it still is a help if u aint got nothing to play play offline

Top 10 Games