"nice hand" is annoying

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK I don't mind it when someone plays a hand really well, and gets a congratulatory "nh" because they employed some cunning tactic to extract a vast amount of chips from their opponent. What really gets my goat is when people chime in with "vvnh" just because they happened to end up with four of a kind, Aces full or a straight flush etc.

Typical example:

VILLAIN wins $51.08 from the main pot with aces full of sevens.

Cue sage nods.

nh

vvnh

Bombjack:
no it wasn't, it was a terrible hand
he was all-in with 2 pair on the turn after being raised by trip kings on the flop, then sucked out when one of his four outs hit on the river

My comments are rarely appreciated for their true value.

:frown:

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes and no matter what.. a win is a vnh even if it is with 2-4 outs... granted it shouldn't happen but that is the nature of the beast.. More loose aggresive players calling with anything, playing against the odds.

Just tip your hat and say nh to them for chasing .. conclude and encourage them to keep playing the way they do.. Let them keep calling cause they have a feeling.

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always give out a nh after I get beat by a suckout or bad play by my opponent. I want them to keep making that play so I will get them in the end.

On the rare occassion that someone actually outplays me I tell them to go to hell! ;)

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If someone says nh to me and I don't feel it was, I just ignore them. What gets my goat is the people (usually 40+ moms) that say vnh to EVERY hand.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Alright Rob, what the hell is this? If you think it's time to continue your crusade against simple politeness at the tables at least be man enough to use your own name, er fake name or whatever it is.:D :p

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree.

nh should be starred out, similar to swear words

** my arse

BKrywko1

BKrywko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the rare occasion, I say "nh", I'm really meaning to say, "F$#^$^%!!!"

Gizzi315

Gizzi315

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
smd173 said:
If someone says nh to me and I don't feel it was, I just ignore them. What gets my goat is the people (usually 40+ moms) that say vnh to EVERY hand.

So what exactly is WRONG with being a 40+ mom?

*gives SMD the "mom" look*

LOL

very nice post

ROFL!

dinosdynasty

dinosdynasty

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love it when you say "nh" and they say "ty" thinking that you really meant it instead of "nice suckout on your 2-outer".

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I say "nh", I usually refer to how it was played rather than the cards... I think that's how it should be. Sometimes I'll say "lol nh" when I mean it sort of jokingly, like if someone in an all-in situation gets runner runner quads or something.

S

swtgpch

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like to be rude. But I also don't like to do alot of chatting at the tables it's distracting and pointless. I never say nh but will occasionally say ty if someone says nh to me and it was a nh if not I ignor it. So plz if your into that sort of chat at the table then don't think I'm rude if I don't. I wish everyone good luck I think that should be enough. And I don't think it's 40+ moms either since I am one!!!!!

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
combuboom said:
When I say "nh", I usually refer to how it was played rather than the cards... I think that's how it should be.
Couldn't agree more! It's like someone randomly saying, "Four of a kind, kings, nice hand" or "Straight flush, nice hand". Stating the bleeding obvious, of course that's a nice hand to get. But it's what you do with it that counts. :)

L

Lucas23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
TRY This....say nice hand on every hand, and see how long before someone starts ranting at you! Bet you be lucky to get past 10 hands.

Then switch to saying 'Well Done' every hand....lol#

'How to get on everyones tits, Lesson 1'

A: - Yes, I hate it to

R

RaiseandFold Poker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What makes it worse is when you are in a tournament with the same people all the time, and they do it with one another, but don't do it to you.

That's why chat off is such a great tool.

C

Cardsharp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I see a straight flush I'll say nh. Thats exactly what it is...a nice hand. It may not have been played very well, but a straight flush is a nice hand no matter how it's played. If I see someone play a hand realy well I tell them "Nicely played", although at $.50/$1 I dont say that much....

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bombjack said:
OK I don't mind it when someone plays a hand really well, and gets a congratulatory "nh" because they employed some cunning tactic to extract a vast amount of chips from their opponent. What really gets my goat is when people chime in with "vvnh" just because they happened to end up with four of a kind, Aces full or a straight flush etc.

Typical example:

VILLAIN wins $51.08 from the main pot with aces full of sevens.

Cue sage nods.

nh

vvnh

Bombjack:
no it wasn't, it was a terrible hand
he was all-in with 2 pair on the turn after being raised by trip kings on the flop, then sucked out when one of his four outs hit on the river

My comments are rarely appreciated for their true value.

:frown:

And just out of curiosity, how do you get your full houses or quads? Is there some other way to get them? I don't know of any other way of getting them unless the poker gods drop them in your lap on the flop. :)

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a made-up example that probably doesn't make much sense on reflection. (Thinking of a situation where you hold KK and Villain holds A7, and the flop is AK7, then Villain could suck out with aces full if another A hits. OK that's 2 outs not 4. Or he could get runner-runner 7s.)

The point is that people can play a hand badly and end up with a big hand through luck. Skill = nice. Luck = not nice...

I suppose root of the issue is the fact that a "hand" (as in the above sentence) can be either
a) a set of 5 cards
or
b) a round of poker
and people use it in different ways when they say "nice hand". Saying it with meaning (a) is kind of pointless wheras using meaning (b) can present some insight.
I guess what's happened is people starting saying it with meaning (b) and other people misunderstood and started copying but with meaning (a).

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"nh" is about as meaningless as that suffocation warning put on plastic bags. You shouldn't find it annoying, hardly notice, or care about it. The same goes for "ty" after someone saying nh. It's common courtesy whether people mean it or not or whether you lost or won the hand.

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What makes it worse is when you are in a tournament with the same people all the time, and they do it with one another, but don't do it to you.

That's why chat off is such a great tool.
Yes, it is. I really enjoyed using it today when you totally showed your no-class a** at the CardsChat PokerNordica freeroll. For someone who plays as badly as you, I can't recommend strongly enough that you turn your OWN chat off. You won't be able to embarrass yourself that way. Except, of course, with the cards. Can't have everything, I guess.

JaeC012

JaeC012

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its funny cuz most seasoned players actually use nh as an insult more times then a compliment :D

D

Dragnet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see whats annoying with "nh" or "vnh". Its just a bit of polite nothingness. Mostly harmless

Thewebmaster

Thewebmaster

Freeroll #2 Winner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NH and TY

Hi all,
Is it annoying that I start every post with "Hi all"?
Reading through this thread I'm not even sure why it's here, look at the big picture, it's about playing poker. If you let the chat bother you that much and what people are saying it's going to affect your play no?
wsorbust said it best, it's something that's said intentionally or unintentionally which should hardly even be noticed, just like my "hi all" every post.

Bottom line is a nice hand is actually a nice hand, some use it that way some don't, i've hit 4 of a kind and no-one said a word, played another table and got 3 "nh's" for 2 pair. It's just a small thing in the world of poker.

Personally I will say nh after a bad beat to let the opponent know i'm not about to go on tilt because of it.

Good luck all :) (oops is that annoying too?)

Tony :)

J

jimmysmurf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did I read this right

TRY This....say nice hand on every hand, and see how long before someone starts ranting at you! Bet you be lucky to get past 10 hands.

Then switch to saying 'Well Done' every hand....lol#

'How to get on everyones tits, Lesson 1'

A: - Yes, I hate it to
Get on everyone's tit.Good lord I haven't been on a good pair of tits in years and its as easy as that heh'Thanks:rolleyes:

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands