New Year, New BR

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, Im starting off this new year-2008 with a brand new bankroll. My current BR on FTP is at $0, so I will be doing like Mr. Ferguson himself and start off by playing in freerolls to slowly build up my BR to a nice healthy stack before I start playing in buy-in tournaments and sit-in-go's.

I'll also be using Free Poker Tracking Software - PokerDominator.com to keep track of my progress.

Everyone is free to join me in my quest.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL...I quickly realized that there isnt much else to do online.

K

kensealock

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
man i was wondering how to become a loyaler? can anyone tell me?

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you generally need more than 1 post to start with

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
man i was wondering how to become a loyaler? can anyone tell me?
Sure, thing.
Im always looking to help out new members. Just be loyal to the site, offer your soul to Nick, and thats it.

Pretty easy, right?

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tilt doesn't seem the easiest site to get started; isn't there only 3 or 4 freerolls a day, except for the various private ones? Or are you counting on the private ones to help get started?

Mind you, Stars isn't any better in that manner. The small sites offer more. I'd think if you're gonna try to build from zero, find when all the sites run their freerolls and note the times.

gl, anyways.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tilt doesn't seem the easiest site to get started; isn't there only 3 or 4 freerolls a day, except for the various private ones?

The bigger problem on Full Tilt is finding something to do with your money once you've made a couple of bucks from a freeroll - SnGs start at $1 with 25% rake. I went from zero to around $15 a couple of times in the past six months, but the rake eventually ground it back down to zero again.

Good luck though Philthy - I'll be trying the same thing again this year, though I've got a whopping 3c head start on you :D

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tilt doesn't seem the easiest site to get started; isn't there only 3 or 4 freerolls a day, except for the various private ones? Or are you counting on the private ones to help get started?
full tilt poker has about 10+ freerolls that go on daily, which is quite a lot. Not to mention I'll also be playing the CC FR event on sundays.
The bigger problem on Full Tilt is finding something to do with your money once you've made a couple of bucks from a freeroll - SnGs start at $1 with 25% rake. I went from zero to around $15 a couple of times in the past six months, but the rake eventually ground it back down to zero again.
Yeah, the rake sucks. So, what I plan on doing is once I have a nice BR of about $3+, I am going start playing the the .10 rebuy tournaments without the rebuy as well as the daily freerolls.

Last edited:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, the rake sucks. So, what I plan on doing is once I have a nice BR of about $3+, I am going start playing the the .10 rebuy tournaments without the rebuy as well as the daily freerolls.

Fair enough. The $0.10 rebuy (and the Ferguson, come to think of it) are both in the middle of the night for me, so I never really got to play them. So it was $1.25 SnGs for the long, slow, grinding trek back to $0.

Next time I get a bit of cash up on there, I think I'm gonna try a SnG step-challenge kinda thing: if I win at a $1 game, I'll move up to a $2 one right away, if I cash in that I'll stay at that level, if I win I'll move up and if I don't cash then it's back to the $1 games.

Anywho, good luck! :)

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Next time I get a bit of cash up on there, I think I'm gonna try a SnG step-challenge kinda thing: if I win at a $1 game, I'll move up to a $2 one right away, if I cash in that I'll stay at that level, if I win I'll move up and if I don't cash then it's back to the $1 games.

Have you had any experience with this strategy before? Has it worked? I had always thought about doing that but I never really tried it and was thinking about starting a thread about it.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have you had any experience with this strategy before? Has it worked? I had always thought about doing that but I never really tried it and was thinking about starting a thread about it.

I tried it briefly last time I had a bit of cash on Full Tilt - I won a $1, didn't cash in the $2 so went back to the $1 and then didn't win any more before I went broke.

But in theory, it's sound: if you win a $1 SnG, you've more than paid for the $2 buy-in, so if you play a $2 and don't cash you're back at the $1 level and still with more money than you started. And if you cash in the $2, or even better win it, you're making progress quicker than you would at the $1 level.

Also, on Full Tilt the % rake you pay goes down as you go up levels so there's an additional incentive / bonus there. And unless they've changed it recently, the $1.25 single-table SnGs at FT are all turbos, whereas the $2 ones offer non-turbos.

Proper bankroll management just doesn't apply anyway when you've got, say, a $12 bankroll and the cheapest game is $1.25. So as long as you're militant about moving back down a level if you don't cash, this approach can't leave you worse off than any other. Unless you've got some godly ability to crush $1.25 turbos in which case... well, I dunno what to make of that :eek:

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless you've got some godly ability to crush $1.25 turbos in which case... well, I dunno what to make of that :eek:

Well, I used to regularly crush the 1.25 turbo 9 player SNGs. I would win 3 in a row, then not cash, win 3 in a row, then not cash.

Thank you for your advice about what I will now call the "step program."
Seems like a cool idea and I may formulate some type of routine. I will probably start at the $5 level, and move upwards. Turbo tournaments seem to be my specialty lately.

G

goodfella

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Phil,

I think the $10c can be a very good tourny for your winnings in the beginning, good luck!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks. GL to you, too at the tables.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm thinking about donating to your 0$ BR cause ;) It wouldn't be a whole lot, maybe $5, but maybe you can increase it exponentially with a bit of luck and skill and get a really decent BR going. It would probably be pretty tough starting with 5, but hey, hopefully you can give it a hardy shot. If you're around tomorrow night we can make the transfer. Let me know what you think. :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^That would be amazing and I would be very thankful, but its totally up to you. I really appreciate the kind gesture.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why don't you play at pokerstars, philthy?

I'd be willing to pitch $5 as well. PS has much smaller rake, as well as smaller stakes for you to start out with (I think). I could also toss you the cardschat theme if you like ;)

KingNothing4

KingNothing4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good luck to you! i am setting off on a similar journey on full tilt, i have $2.50 to start the new year and i plan on just playing freerolls and $0.10 $1000 guarantee tournies and try to build over $100...just playing poker for fun, don't plan on making tons of money at it. so good luck to you and hope you can get your goal

KingNothing4

KingNothing4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok well adding onto my note above, i was thinking might put $50 and add the Ferguson to my strict list to see where i get to by the end of 2008, thats my basic plan for the whole year, hopefully i can stick to it. just freeroll, 10 cent, and fergusons. im even keeping like excel spreadsheet with my stats from each tourny haha, so well hopefully i keep to it and see what happens.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought we both had to be connected Phil, but apparently that's not the case. I'll send over the $ as soon as you'll let me know what your screen name is on poker stars. :)

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
K. Transfer's complete. Good luck. :)