Netbooks

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey so I'm almost 18 and getting a netbook probably for my birthday in two weeks. I just wanted to know If anyone has experience playing online on netbooks and wat are good cheap ones to look into? Any response is really appreciated

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you only plan on playing one table then it will do fine, but any more than that and they are basically worthless. Between the screen size and the processing power, they really aren't able to multi-table much. The main reason they are called netbooks is because their primary purpose is to really just get on the internet

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do u know wat netbooks wuld be good in order to play on? Do u personally have one?

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have one through work, and personally, if you're wanting to play poker on a computer, then I would go with a notebook instead of a netbook. The screen size is going to be your biggest problem and there is no getting around that no matter what netbook you go with. You can get great deals on regular laptops if you're looking at the right places. Sign up for Newegg's(newegg.com) newletter and they send them out a couple times a week and it's pretty often that they send out great deals on laptops. Just be sure to read the reviews and make sure there aren't a ton of problems with that specific one. But Notebook > Netbook. I would only get a netbook if I planned on traveling a lot and needed to save space on the airlines.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh ok thanks for the info. It's just I'm a college student now and debating between notebooks and netbooks. I'll check out that website too

M

matt0216

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have problems playing on regular laptops because the screen is just too small so I don't really think you could play any really serious poker on a netbook. Like the buy above me said you could play one table at most.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wat about stacking tables? Would there be any problems with doing that?

Numbuh 0ne

Numbuh 0ne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Asus has a dual-core atom processor laptop coming out pretty soon, check that one out. The hp's are pretty decent also. I don't have any experience playing poker on them though.

Also if you have the money to shell out, Alienware's m11X can't be beat. Fully stocked with a i7 could run you about $1300 though.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do have a netbook, and it has the slightly faster Atom N280 at 1.66Ghz with a 667Mhz FSB (most are N270's at 1.6Ghz/533Mhz) and the RAM maxed at 2GB. The only poker I use it for is occasionally single tabling without a HUD, or railing other people's games (like the CC League games). If I seriously want to play on the go, I bring my laptop. The netbook just isn't a pleasant experience.

Even the dual-core Atom's are woefully underpowered compared to conventional CPUs, and would only improve performance slightly over the previous generation netbooks. Netbooks simply aren't intended for heavy processing -- by definition they are intended for low-duty use like browsing and note taking, maybe movie watching with the newer N450 CPUs (mine sometimes hiccups and lags during video playback). And screen resolution, though improved slightly on some of the latest models, is still severely lacking. All of these compromises are necessary to achieve the portable, battery-sipping goals for the device, but all are counter to a good multi-tabling poker experience.

Even when stacking to overcome the resolution problem, running multiple tables or even just HEM/PT3 and a HUD, is going to seriously degrade performance to the point of being unplayable.

I agree with Hamm -- if you're looking for a portable poker playing machine, buy the beefiest laptop you can find. And my preference is the most resolution possible, which is why all of my laptops have 1920x1200 WUXGA+ resolution. I have a pixel obsession, lol.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok well here's my situation: my 18 birthday is coming up and my parrents recently banned me from playing poker as I got caught plYing for money. They know I want a laptop for college but I Attend a jc college. Were searching one rite now and we r looking at netbooks. If I were to change to a laptop is there any that are good priced that will work good?

Numbuh 0ne

Numbuh 0ne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's your price range? Check out Dell's 15r and hp's G60 series

O

Oil_Fan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should easily be able to find a decent notebook. A month ago I helped my inlaws in shopping for a new laptop. At the time, Office Max had an HP dual core i3, 4 GB of DDR3 ram, 500 GB 7200 rpm hard drive with Windows 7 64 bit version for $550 if I remember correctly.

That would easily allow you to run poker along with HEM or PT3. You could probably run 4 hands at a time. Maybe more.

The key features I'd look for is dual core (i3 or i5) or quad core (i7) if you can afford it, 4 GB of ram and a 500 GB 7200 rpm hard drive. Next on the list is the display. Make sure it has a LED backlit screen. Most now a days do but just verify that.

Also since this is for college, I'd also get an external hard drive to back up your key files. That way if the drive dies on you, you'll have a second copy of all your work. I remember hearing of someone in Calgary who was working on his phd or something and was almost done his final paper that he spend the last couple of years working on. Computer was stolen from his car and he lost all of that work. Backups are key since we use computers for so much now.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anybody hear of toshiba intel celeron 900 processor?

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anybody hear of toshiba intel celeron 900 processor?
Toshiba doesn't make the processor, it's an Intel Celeron in a Toshiba laptop. I like Toshiba laptops but Celeron's suck. They're very low-end, value-oriented CPUs. For a simple browsing, email, light-duty laptop it would be okay. If it's going to be your main school laptop while also your entertainment laptop and your poker laptop, you're going to be disappointed -- you really need something beefier in that case.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would I be disappointed? The quality of the tables or lag while I'm playing?

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because the processing speed is not fast enough or powerful enough to handle very much that is going on. You should be looking at a Dual Core at the very least, but should be looking for at Core i3 or i5(or i7 if you can get a good deal, they are the high end). These are the processors that are being made that are going to last you the longest because they can handle todays computing needs.

O

Oil_Fan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because the processing speed is not fast enough or powerful enough to handle very much that is going on. You should be looking at a Dual Core at the very least, but should be looking for at Core i3 or i5(or i7 if you can get a good deal, they are the high end). These are the processors that are being made that are going to last you the longest because they can handle todays computing needs.
Agreed.

And the Intel Core i3 are quite cheap and a good dual core processor. They would only add a little bit to cost of the laptop but you'll far happier with the performance.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would definitely go with an i5 if it was even remotely close in price just because it is going to be so much better in the long run, but compared to other CPUs, any of the i3s are going to hold up good.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much is the i3? Around 500?

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh ok thank u. I'll check those out rite now

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So cheapest one is 700$. Not to bad but I'll haveto think about it

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bought my wife a HP netbook last Christmas and loaded a full version of windows seven without issue. If you want on the net and playing occasional poker on the small screen it will function without issue. Paid $269 CDN and had the free 7. works like a charm.

Now if you want to do multi tasking humping the CPU while you play then the upgrade to the notebook might be for you.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I bought my wife a HP netbook last Christmas and loaded a full version of windows seven without issue. If you want on the net and playing occasional poker on the small screen it will function without issue. Paid $269 CDN and had the free 7. works like a charm.
I run Win7 on mine too, with the N280 CPU and 2GB, and at least for me playing poker for any length of time is a major frustration, even one table. Forget about more than one table, or running HEM/PT3, TableNinja, etc. I certainly would never *plan* any poker playing with it -- it would be an emergency-situation-only option for me.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya I think netbooks rite now are out of the option. Iv realized there size is small and resolution wuod be horrible to play theres no way I'm gunna get a netbook now. So now I'm researching laptops and like I said earlier the toshiba intel celeron processor 900 has great reviews and is very affordable as well