Mucking vs Showing Hands

Joco413

Joco413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When is it benefical to show your hands to your opponents? What are the cons and pros?

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always mock it. Don't see any point to give information about my plays but there's a chance that if you show yours, villian might show his hand. But you can show yours if you don't care about those things and play just for fun.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Why give opponents extra information?

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people say it's good to show a few hands to manage your table image. I think it's pointless. If you know what your image is, exploit it. Any information you give for free is beneficial to your opponents.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's got to be a crazy hand, and an epic bluff, for me to show anything. But besides this, it's too much information.

B

Bertie Wooster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when in doubt...muck

When is it benefical to show your hands to your opponents? What are the cons and pros?

My opinion is that beginners/intermediate players should ALWAYS muck. I've been playing live for...ugh... 30 or so years and online for about 14 or 15. It's almost always never a good idea to give free information. That being said, I played a live tournament last week where I showed a couple times with specific purpose. Unless you are really experienced and understand your table image and grasp how you are altering or controlling it, I just never ever show.

In this case, I had the chip leader on my immediate right. He, and the next 2 players were very soft in protecting their blinds, and I wanted to keep it that way, so I showed a couple of big hands I raised with to give the impressions that I was raising premium hands only in late position.

As a rule, though... just don't show. Make people pay for information.

B

BesseNuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I muck it too, everytime I can. the more information the worse.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm with everyone on this one, don't give out free information.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's got to be a crazy hand, and an epic bluff, for me to show anything. But besides this, it's too much information.

In general, I agree with those who say - "Never Show."
Then I sometimes break the rule for 'crazy hands' - such as quads hitting on the river and everyone else folds.
Never, ever will I show a bluff. That gives away far too much info.

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like to show my cards and I almost never show them, but when I get some good bluffs when it comes to the big way and I win then I like to show, because it shows that you are brave and "crazy" and nobody May he come with you.

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
don't see any reason to show any cards at any time don't need to give anybody any ideas about how I play

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've shown hands in the past so that I could change gears the other way and generally have come out with negative returns in the long run. I am not an experienced enough player to figure out when to show hands and when not to. That being said, I have come to the conclusion that it is in my best interest not to give any free information at all. Maybe when I am a more accomplished player will I figure out how to show my hands from time to time and generate a positive return in my investment.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea, here's the thing. I'm usually only showing when Metagame is involved. I have a few guys I play with and we get into some pretty deep leveling wars. I'll show one card to show that I didn't have the flush or didn't have the hand I know they put me on stuff like that. In general though the less your opponent knows about your game the better.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely show hands to opponents and only when I am at the final table, and in the middle of a game in tournaments or in cash games I don’t show cards in the game so as not to shake the players!

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not think it's a good idea to show the cards is to give information to the opponents but respect who shows them depends on the type of game of each player

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally mucking is best but in some cases you can show your cards to leave some impression to the other people on the table. For example if you are tight player who bluffs very rarely you can show cards after successful bluff so that you get more calls when you raise with strong cards next time.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mucking a hand is something I do more often than not. No reason to offer information unless you think it will buy you something later.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Muck It

I agree with the many others that say " Muck It" --- As stated need to give other players more information on how you play the game.

Unless I am playing with friends and low stake poker I will always Muck my hand. Players if the are poker players will get enough data on how you play from seen your winning or loosing hands. :)

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show hands only in rare situations . I think mocking is wiser than showing hands .

Vodnik2017

Vodnik2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Apparently I'm one of the few who sometimes shows their cards.

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will show if I think it may cause they person to tilt.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It`s great so show your hand when you made an epic Bluff, because the villain can go into TITL mode, and he will wants go till the end with in every hand, so you can use this to manage his psychological and we will pays hands he can`t win.

S

Streetwylde

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with those who said don't see the reason to show. I mean when others show I don't really pay much attention to it because to me it doesn't mean a thing.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands