Most Profitable Game

U

unstoppable4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What type of game is the most profitable? Is it Cash, MTT, SNG or what?

M

maspowerj

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mmm you can not cash a big prize in every tourney what you play ! But when You play example a 11mtt and you finish in first place you have a bigbig prize ! When you play it and finish 3 times in 20th place you can better play cashgames...When you will see a different in prizes you can better play cashgames.. But everyone has his own favorite ! Someone is better in cashgames and someone is better in tourneys !

TexasPokerStar

TexasPokerStar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Time over money invested...

Well, it's a coin flip...

lets say you sit down at a cash game with $200... and the blinds are $1/$2... in about 2 or 3 hours... you could get up with $2,500...

now if you play at a MTT, that's $110... first place is about $5,000, so after 3 or 4 hours... depending on number of entrants, you could walk away with that much...

The difference comes in when you break it down like this...

in a CASH game you are more relax, because you are not worried about the blinds going up... so you can mix up your play, or play tight...
also the beauty of the CASH games, is that you decide when to get up... if you are up $1,000... you can just get up with it....

on MTT you constantly have to mix up your play, to keep up with the raising blinds...
in a MTT, you can't get up when ever you want... you got to wait for the tournament to be over... or you get bust out by someone....

If I had to choose... I would probably go with CASH GAMES...

sandbender

sandbender

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer 10-seat sit n goes. You're there long enough to get a good read on your opponents before the blinds get really high, not always moved to a new table just when you're sure the Villain if bluffing...

There are enough maniacs at low stakes sng's that playing a nice tight aggressive game (emphasis on tight for the first half) will usually put you in the money.

You don't make as much per game when you win, but the games only last about an hour. I've sat through 3 hours of tourney before getting to the FT, know it will be at least another hour or two before we get to heads-up time. Then realize that unless you place first, you could have made much more money playing 4 STTs.

Nobody I know can win online tournaments with any regularity. Cash a lot, yes, but not win, say, one out of three. But any decent player with discipline can cash in 4 out of 5 STTs (maybe 7 out of 10 when the cards aren't cooperating and your bluffs just don't work???)

So for me the STT format is by far the most profitable. Added benefit: Most of the rating systems don't track SnG's, so software doesn't give away your game.

T

teleboy1979

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am still trying to figure out what my "most profitable" game is exactly. I prefer to play sng's, but as of yet, I am not making a whole lot of money doing it. I guess mine is more for the enjoyment of playing and not necessarily for profit(although a cash here and there sure would be nice). I am not much of a ring player as I enjoy the increasing blinds and increasing stacks of tournament play.

Gallinho

Gallinho

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know what your best game would be but when i first started out i only played sng's because it was a good way to learn the game, i managed to make money out of them but not much for the hours i put in.
If i'd carried on playing sng's i could have made a steady profit as many people do but i started playing cash games and at first lost alot of money but perservered and now turn a profit and its all i play.
I think learning to play cash games will improve your poker all round because you will learn how to make good decisions on the flop, turn and river whereas mtt's and sng's is more about pre-flop play because of the increasing blinds.
I find that there's too much variance in mtt's to make a consistent profit and to a lesser degree sng's, cash games are hard to master but once you get the hang of them i find its the best way to make money and they're good for accumulating loyalty points and clearing bonuses.

H

hurricanebezy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to go with MTT. The only thing about MTT's are that you must be willing to set aside a day to play this tournies with no distractions. Especially the guaranteed ones, they usually pay out big reward.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most profitable game online would obviously be the 100000NL on FTP. IF you can beat it of course. :D

I

invader2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very funny belgo lol

:p

i think cash games are the best but its obviously based on what u excel at

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think most pros, in Vegas or elsewhere, will say that most of their income comes from cash games. They may win big in a tourney once in a while, but I think that's just gravy to the pros, who make a daily grind at full ring tables.
Big tourneys like wsop are not just a place to win a bracelet -- they are also places to play limitless amounts of cash games with the tourists, fish and others. Often pros dont mind getting knocked out of a tourney early so they can get to the lucrative cash games, where there is lots of easy money to be had.
Online, myself, I have made more in ring games than MTTs or SNGs.

W

witl69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cash games or small S&G are the way to go I say but it all depends on stakes and your skill level obviously stick with what you know is what I always say

S

Sonic_x_Reducer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash Omaha H or H/L games are very profitable if you can handle the swings. A lot more people in the pots and the pots are generally much bigger than Holdem. 6 handed games are EXTREMELY loose. Good luch to ya!

Jayson745

Jayson745

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:dito: omaha h/l pl playing really tight, then hammering the pot when you get the nuts.

fcumred

fcumred

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most profitable game is the one you learn most from.

In my case I started out with ring games and screwed up really badly.

I then went to SNGs and did a bit better but still not marvellous

Then moved onto Tournies and did reasonably well.

I then found that what I'd learnt in tournies actually improved my cash game and when I returned to cash games I was more able to cope.

Then I tried SNGs and found I was doing better in them too.

Tried tournies again and got nowhere..

In short, move around, try all of them and find the one that suits you best. I prefer playing tournies but for making money, then its a ring game for me.

T

telboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think cash games if you are playing in the higher l limits

I like mtts and seem to make more money playing them

GSPRUSHSTPIERRE

GSPRUSHSTPIERRE

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
2.25$ sng's on full tilt.

Just play really tight and you get in the prize 60% of the time

tertip

tertip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the most profitable games are for sure MTT there you can win much more in one tourney as in hunderes of sit& go's or cashgames but its not so easy to win a big tourney but posssible. its always a quesiton how much you want inevstigate for yor win.

J

josh_dei8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think alot has to do with your bankroll. If you have a small bankroll, I think the SNG's are the way to go. Playing a TAG can usually put you in a position to cash. The small cash tables, there are alot of maniacs who will continuoslly raise every pot, and force you out stealing your limps or blinds. If you wait to battle them with a premium hand only, it sems as though they will outdraw you. But when you do hit your cards, you can leave with a little profit.

The_OG_Rocco

The_OG_Rocco

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me personally, the most profitable games are the cash games.

Tournaments are fun, but they tend to force me to play a lot more pots with weaker hands as the blinds continue to go up and up. Also the probability of suffering a bad beat seems much higher to me as well in tournaments. Then when you are busted, that's it, game over.

In a cash game, I can re-buy at anytime and try to get that money back. Or I can just take my winnings and call it a night. Much more freedom and flexibility in cash games i.m.o. :cool:

T

The_Kaizer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In the long run - Cash (If your good)

Short Term - MTT (If one is lucky!)

Most up & down - STT (Not much profit, not much loss)

L

lostcause

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the long run - Cash (If your good)

Short Term - MTT (If one is lucky!)

Most up & down - STT (Not much profit, not much loss)

This is not necessarily true. I mean some people are just crazy sick at MTT. I mean at low field tourneys its so easy I have cashed at least 50% of the times. In the bigger fields give me the dice and lets start rolling. I don't like tourneys that much though so I don't play them even though I do well in them. I mainly like cash games. However I have seen some tourney players who cash almost all the time. Enough that they make way more than they would at cash games. Plus some tourney players suck at cash and lose their whole bankrolls there.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lets say you sit down at a cash game with $200... and the blinds are $1/$2... in about 2 or 3 hours... you could get up with $2,500...

I would be fascinated to know the location of these nl200 games...

slurredreaction

slurredreaction

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm gonna hafto say SnG's are very profitable.. I was doing great building up a small bankroll and the minute I moved to Cash games and MTT's I lost my whoel roll.. Stick to SnG's if your good at them and stick to bankroll management!! if you don't things can end up getting very rough.

L

lostcause

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, it's a coin flip...

Dude you if you can consistently win that much in that amount of time you are the best no limit holdem player ever. In other words I don't buy it. I have played numerous hours and at my best I cant even come close to that. My best average is $100 an hour live. But that isn't even close to what I normally do at that limit. It is not easy to make that kinda of money at that limit. I have never seen anyone do that consistantly. I mean best I did in 4 hours is $1300 playing 2-5 nl live. I have never been able to do that in 2-3 hours.

Top 10 Games