Most important trait in poker

RussianWolf6

RussianWolf6

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone,

in poker there are so many advices, strategies, watching Live-play, reading books and so on.

But if you could use only one special trait / skill to go through a tournament or a cash game, what would it be?

Would it be discipline, mathematic skills, patience, courage or even self-confidence?

I‘m excited to hear you answers.

Best regards,

Joe ;)

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important thing at a poker table is reading because if you have a good reading in the game it will improve your decisions before making any move.

You will develop reading over time with study and practice.

"the best players are the ones who fold the best"

RussianWolf6

RussianWolf6

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, reading is a good point. But what about the difference between online poker and live poker?

If you play online poker and want to be successful, do you really need all the technical help like player analyse programs, range help, playing at many tables or can you grow your bankroll by „simple“ play?

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
trait

If I only had the choice of picking one I would pick patience. Having patience gives you the discipline of not chasing for the winning hand as well as not pushing a mediocre hand. Also for me stops going on tilt when I am beat by a "rags to riches" bingo playing hand or a run of just no good cards to really bet on.
Just my thought
GL ALL ;)

A

Agusamc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I will play only one tournament, I will chose one you didn't say: LUCK.
ahahahahahhahaa

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience will carry a person farther in a tournament than many other traits. You can be outworked by a patient person. You can deal with variance much easier if you are a patient person. It all comes down to waiting for the right spots to make your move.

SecksyGambler

SecksyGambler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to argue the fact that your need to be able to control your temperament when playing poker. Regardless of what happens to you at the table, It's important that you don't stray away from playing your absolute best.

Some of my worst moments in poker happened after I hit a losing streak, and not the streak itself. It's only when I play erratically that I regret my actions, and, subsequently, lose a large portion of my bankroll.

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think videos are useful

RussianWolf6

RussianWolf6

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What about the opinion that some people have to focus on „winning money“ will make you a good poker player? Sounds too easy, right?

Last edited:
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Experience

That's it.

It's how humans learn anything. Nothing is inate.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don’t think that one feature will help you to consistently win at poker !!! It should be a set of correct actions and they are all very important !!!

K

Kdp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think patience is most important. You have to be willing to wait for the right hand/moment. I know I would like to play every hand and even though the cards I needed to win actually hit after I folded....I know the odds were not in my favor....and it won't like happen again.

Bobbybones1950

Bobbybones1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like many others on this thread I would say Patience is the most important. Many times there will be aggressive players opening wide and being lucky.
With Patience you will collect all their chips and say Goodbye

:ciao:

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, reading is a good point. But what about the difference between online poker and live poker?

If you play online poker and want to be successful, do you really need all the technical help, like player analysis programs, rank help, play many tables, or can you grow your bankroll with a "simple" game?

Online gambling is more profitable than playing live, because in online gambling you can play at several tables at the same time and with a good volume of play you can control the variance a little more than when playing live, there are differences when you play live you must have more patience than playing online since you will not play the same amount of hands that you will play online.

Of course, when playing online you may be at a disadvantage when you face your opponents the REG regulars since many use help systems to keep statistics and play with probabilities based on the numbers. We call this game GTO the theory of the optimal game based on statistics. .

You will need a help system when you become REG a regular of the type of tournament you play, in the meantime if you are just an amateur it is not necessary to start, you should study the ABC of Poker to start later with time if you need a statistics system so as not to be at a disadvantage.

C

chalghaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone,

in poker there are so many advices, strategies, watching Live-play, reading books and so on.

But if you could use only one special trait / skill to go through a tournament or a cash game, what would it be?

Would it be discipline, mathematic skills, patience, courage or even self-confidence?

I‘m excited to hear you answers.

Best regards,

Joe ;)

i would definitely choose discipline .. in the long run its the best asset

T

tamara822

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is the most important thing in poker. Without patience, the game will end very quickly.

RussianWolf6

RussianWolf6

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Type of player

If you play online poker and want to be successful, do you really need all the technical help, like player analysis programs, rank help, play many tables, or can you grow your bankroll with a "simple" game?

Online gambling is more profitable than playing live, because in online gambling you can play at several tables at the same time and with a good volume of play you can control the variance a little more than when playing live, there are differences when you play live you must have more patience than playing online since you will not play the same amount of hands that you will play online.

Of course, when playing online you may be at a disadvantage when you face your opponents the REG regulars since many use help systems to keep statistics and play with probabilities based on the numbers. We call this game GTO the theory of the optimal game based on statistics. .

You will need a help system when you become REG a regular of the type of tournament you play, in the meantime if you are just an amateur it is not necessary to start, you should study the ABC of Poker to start later with time if you need a statistics system so as not to be at a disadvantage.

Yes, i agree with that. But let‘s say you want to become a great live poker player one day. Do you think nowadays it‘s impossible to reach that aim without technical help in online poker?

I mean players like Daniel Negreanu or Phil Hellmuth didn‘t had this possibilities and played with the help of „human skills“ and made their way. So all in all my question is: Is it impossible nowadays to start online poker and become a good live live poker player without having all this tools in online poker?

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I had to choose only one, it would be patience.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With patience come the rest of the important traits, but this one is the hardest one to poses.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Mathematical calculation if I should choose only one.

roberto51

roberto51

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In online poker: happiness and patience
In "live" poker: experience, math and the ability to bluff meaningfully.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience will not help you in poker without playing skills. You know how to play well, which means everything else will follow.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I am convinced that the player's patience will always be most important. I believe that if a player is patient enough, only then can he be sufficiently disciplined and productive.
Good luck.

AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The ability not to tilt is one of the most important character traits in poker for me. It is better to close the pogram for a few minutes, cool down, and then make a further deliberate decision.

Haze777s

Haze777s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stable psyche on the merciless swing of dispersion