Which is the Most Profitable Poker Format?

Awaterfall13

Awaterfall13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys I’m wanting to start building a nice bankroll and was just wondering what players find more profitable in general, cash tables SnGs or MTTs ?
Any advice is great cheers

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on your preference. Different players make their money in different types of games. Personally I find cash games are the quickest and lowest-variance.

Awaterfall13

Awaterfall13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any idea on how much I should be depositing and which stakes I should be playing, is there a general rule for example buying in with so many times my big blind

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments give a chance for a larger payout (if you can run deep).
The thing with cash tables (for me), is that I tend to build a stack, and then I catch a primo hand and get crushed for the whole stack. So, I think the thing to remember here, is to leave the table when your stack is double, and start over again, with original buy-in amount.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that if you play SNG's and start at the $1 and work your way up to the $109. Than you start to play in some MTT's start at the $1 level and once you FT a couple and work your way up to the $5 level and FT a couple than work your way up to the $10 level and FT a few that is a good start. at build your poker bankroll always use the 100 buyin rule for SNG's and 200+ buy in rule for MTT's and you should be ok. If you want to throw in cash games you want to be playing at a 100 buy-in to 200 buy-in stack bank roll for the level that you are playing at to protect aginst variance and you should be ok. That is my thinking on it. I play Omaha Omaha Hi Low and Texas Hold'em so there is always a game open for me to play.

Awaterfall13

Awaterfall13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheers guys, completely agree with you sheltowee420 about the cash tables, always seem to end up getting stung thinking I’ve got top hand, I’ll take this all on board and keep reading the threads for any more tips cheers guys

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash games are more profitable long term and for consistent profits. You can grind them out whenever and have a pretty good idea of how much you can win in a month given your volume. With MTTs your winnings are very unpredictable so you can't plan financial goals. You can win a lot more money than cash games but you need to withstand so much variance. So it's all down to personal preference and what you can play better.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Play those games that you like more. You will enjoy the game.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cash for sure, or seeing the winnings/tickets as having cash value works too...

One poker platform i know of allows you to cash in the tickets you've won in order to buy in on other tournaments or even by pass the expiration dates of tournament tickets you won.

I lost over $40 worth of 10cent tournament tickets as a sign up bonus due to having no idea where they were or how to access them and giving up looking while getting on with other daily life distractions. came back to the poker platform months later and found them only to be told by poker rep that they wouldn't reinstate them...:secruity:lol

Stop only when the fun stops.... or when the friction starts to burn:confused:
:eek::D

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
For me, MTT tournaments were always more profitable. Honestly, I always lost in cash games. But in MTT tournaments sometimes I manage to win some money.
Good luck.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think you should not look for a more profitable game, so if in one discipline a player plays with profit, then another can play a minus !!! you need to look for the game where you will be as comfortable as possible (for example, mtt is a very long game and not everyone can play for a long time as concentrated as possible) to play and you will definitely have a profit if you are a good player !!!

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without question the biggest potential return on your investment is going to come from MTTs. However, you're not going to see quick and sure successes in them like you are in a cash game.

That being said, I personally find cash games to be tedious and, even though I might double or triple my money in a single session, I get more satisfaction out of making it in the money in an MTT.

Cash games are really there for you to exploit and profit from weaker players, and are really a means to a much bigger end. Alternatively, I feel there's more equal footing for all the players in an MTT. Therefore, while there's still an element of chance, you can leverage more skills in an MTT environment in order to win.

In the end, it all comes down to what you're trying to achieve and where you feel most comfortable playing.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well generally if your going to play in tourneys your going to need 300 times your buy-in level to not go broke to to up and down swings. SNGs you want 100 times your buy in level do to up and down swings and cash games you want 100 times your buy in do to up and down swings if your playing at a professional level of play and if your plaing at a receatonal level you can cut that in half and rebuy when you go bust if you do. That is the general Idea. A lot of people out there just buy in at such a low buy-in and take shots and go busto and wonder why well it's because they didn't have proper bankroll management and didn't leave themselves with enough buy-ins at the level they where playing at for the downswings they where going to take. That is just my Two cent though hope that gave you a general idea where to start.

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like MTT, i think its the most profitable.

R

rudy988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also think MTT are more profitable , unless you're beast @ cash games . Been playing both , and its the same like with almost all others , just can't get even , nevertheless get in some profit or serious profit . Even if I have good strong bankroll , and moving up/down limits , story ends the same :(
So I focused on playing MTT ;)

Gl

VIP_TARIFF

VIP_TARIFF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You choose for yourself what is more convenient for you. Bankroll is built on the distance and in cash and in the tournament.
If you know how to withstand 6 hours of intense play, the tournament is for you. Good luck building your bankroll.

A

akjordan16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both

Both interweb and live, Can I choose both?

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are super skilled cash games if not so much stick to MTTs

J

Joe1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its a Question what you like more to Play

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are good at tournaments start with the cheaper SNG and work your way up. You can also do the cheaper multi tables. the main thing is play whatever you are comfortable with but manage your bankroll. If you start with $20 dont start playing $5 SNG because you can be out of money quick. If you play cash games be a grinder and dont risk more than say 10% of your bankroll. Since you are new here play in the freerolls offered to all. The CC freerolls are better then the average freerolls on most sites. Read this forum and participate so soon you can get in on all the freerolls. I probably read 20 to 30 post and respond to maybe 2 or 3. The information here is worth reading.

D

Dark Army

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't think about it in terms of which one is more profitable.

Play the one you are better at and study to improve at both.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys I’m wanting to start building a nice bankroll and was just wondering what players find more profitable in general, cash tables SnGs or MTTs ?
Any advice is great cheers
hello, in tournaments you need time, if you have a lot of free time and patience then tournaments are a great way to raise good bankrolls, in a tournament you pay not a big part for a turn of 1-2-5 dollars and you have a chance to get into prizes and win up to 100-200 and up to 1000 dollars, but if time is short, it is better to play cash games and try to raise a bankroll on them!