Misreading the cards

arielakarel

arielakarel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How often doe's it happen that you misread your cards?
Do you double/triple check what you have during the play? (Real life poker)
Do you have any tips/tricks to avoid misreading and doble checking?

R

Ray Sliva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It does happen to me occasionally ariel. Spade for club or diamond for heart, I think I get in a hurry and wish for things to fill in. I have a bigger issue not making the proper bet with the cards that are dealt to me. I need to get my chips in when I have good cards and quit under betting or even slow playing unintentionally. Slow play karma gets me everytime by allowing other players to draw what they need to bet me. I hope this helps ariel. Good luck and hope to see you at the tables.--r

Mason Pye

Mason Pye

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is quite common. It's not so much the value of the card, it's more the suit. In this years wsop, many people complained that the club and the spade looked similar which led to people misreading their hands. I believe that in the near future, poker should introduce four colour suited decks to prevent players from misreading their hands. It should be red for hearts, black for spades, green for clubs and blue for diamonds.

PieterTerAar

PieterTerAar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i Actually never misread my cards. I try to look only preflop but when you forget your cards often you could maybe watch on the flop a second time. I would recommend to watch every flop on your cards not only when you forget it then you won't give away any tells. When your opponent raises you all-in you also can check your cards. :jd4: :jd4: :confused:

Paragon

Paragon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest you look at each card once and repeat the suit and rank of each card in your head repeatedly during the hand.

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only tip to stop misreading cards would be to pay attention, really. Misreading your hand is a mistake that you shouldn't allow yourself to make. I really rarely misread mine, because I am giving most of my focus on the game.

steved757

steved757

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i Actually never misread my cards. I try to look only preflop but when you forget your cards often you could maybe watch on the flop a second time. I would recommend to watch every flop on your cards not only when you forget it then you won't give away any tells. When your opponent raises you all-in you also can check your cards. :jd4: :jd4: :confused:

I never misread my cards neither. I make sure I check over and over so I wont misread them. Now misplaying the cards I do that quite often. But that is the beauty of poker for you, nobody is perfect. I just need to keep on improving on when to raise and when to fold!

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I miss few times,i cant explain why.I think each time i miss for collor,when i lost i realize i mistake.
Paragon is right,look 1 card,after that other.
That is safe way.

arielakarel

arielakarel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When a player double checks his carss, it makes you feel his ansure?
Does it affect the way you play against him?

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happened to me a lot when I first started playing live, but now it now happens. You'll get used to it when you have more hours under your belt.

I recommend consciously slowing your brain down when you look at your cards, and saying each card a couple of times in your head.

F

FARMMARK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never have that problem but mostly play online. More likely to hit my hand and not realize that I just got beat.

arielakarel

arielakarel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never have that problem but mostly play online. More likely to hit my hand and not realize that I just got beat.

Actually it happens online a lot too..
Do you use 4 color deck?

C

capara20

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i got only once confused for online poker, i was sure i got a straight though i missed the prince :S

A

assafyer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the past i never double checked my cards but then came out the mistake that changed me :) it costs me 100$ to learn that but from that point every time i double check the cards.

arielakarel

arielakarel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the past i never double checked my cards but then came out the mistake that changed me :) it costs me 100$ to learn that but from that point every time i double check the cards.

sometimes the mistake can earn you a 100$, if you think you have the nuts, you'll play like you have them and the others might fold.

D

danvu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have actually never misread my hand! Think it is probably because I peek my cards at least 2-3 seconds..

N

NadezhdaFMS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that there are no

The main brains and position, and you can play any card

D

dsk1231

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I habitually look at my cards all the time. I guess I don't trust my memory. My biggest issue live is sometimes not seeing the board well. For example, I've my hands a couple times not even aware a flush might have gotten there. I've learned to sit right next to the dealer or straight across and never sit on the corners to make sure I can see the board.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As4s, is always bad when you peek quickly at your cards even online at first glance it looks like AA

robertocoelho

robertocoelho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also have difficulty with colors in the online poker playing I put 4 colors

E

eudaimonia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How often does it happen that you misread your cards?
Do you double/triple check what you have during the play? (Real life poker)
Do you have any tips/tricks to avoid misreading and doble checking?

I misread my cards just last week. Chasing a royal flush draw, I did not realize that I also had the winning straight. I mucked the winning hand, FACE UP! I have never felt so stupid.

arielakarel

arielakarel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I misread my cards just last week. Chasing a royal flush draw, I did not realize that I also had the winning straight. I mucked the winning hand, FACE UP! I have never felt so stupid.

OMG.. That sounds horrible..
I bet that will never happen to you again ^^

rrickir

rrickir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have done this quite a few times also,, only on line tho,, never live.. for me is porlly casue cd use glasses for seeing laptop bettter lol,, but live i seem to be fine............and it usally happens wehn more tired too, so be careful more, wehn u are very tired and alwwas double check ur hands....

X

Xpliss

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it would be great to introduce 4 color decks. After long hours of playing it isn't far fetched to mistake a club for spade...

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no such problem. Although my memory is short. I can throw the card and a second later already to forget that the I threw out. Therefore, I have always the mouse pointer rests on CARDS.