Mindset Issues Breakthrough

D

DROB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Everyone! Casually playing a SnG and it finally hit me that the main reason I get so tilted is that I feel doomed. The (for lack of better word) instinct that I've been set-up in various spots stops me truly understand and cope with variance. Almost superstitious.

I thought about an example to post and got dealt j7 for about the 6th time and I'm thinking, "give me j7 so many times and haven't had aj once, that really a coincidence or are they messing with me?". After thinking that I immediately get dealt aj and then j7 again.

While writing this I busted by running jj into aj. Didn't even hit an ace. It's hard not to take it personally and pokerstars tests my commitment to logic.

Good news is that now I know the problem, I can do something about it. Anyone know any good articles or vids they think can help convince me I'm not cursed?

Last edited:
playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yo get hold'em manager and track your hands you will see how silly things seemed. That being said I dont bother with software I just play action per action of the MTT or the hand in cash and make the best decisions I can.

Destruct51

Destruct51

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is variance

When you are running hot, its good to realize this. Poker is like surfing, u have to swim out past the waves to get to the calm, and when u get there then u have to wait for the sets to come in, and then pick the right wave to catch. you may ride it well and win or maybe catch an edge and go down. Same as life and as poker. But you have to find your game, practice makes better!!!!:cool::eek::rolleyes:

S

Streetwylde

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SNG's are tough. Mainly lots of shoving when blinds get higher because most are around 10 Bigs.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"give me j7 so many times and haven't had aj once, that really a coincidence or are they messing with me?". After thinking that I immediately get dealt aj and then j7 again.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!! Pokerstars can read minds now? Thank god I'm only allowed to play on ACR.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have come to grips with variance. Not always about results and try to find the victory in making the right call with the math on your side.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man, when you say "am i cursed", it's the right moment to stop playing and think about it. Because that's more than tilting, it's near insanity!
Relax, better days will come.

D

DROB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. Just knowing what the problem is has made a huge difference. Am not really getting angry now. Thinking on it, playing poker isn't the only time I react that way - I get a bill that's higher than expected and I assume I'm getting ripped off. Same thing with beats or coolers and now I'm spending more time thinking about hands instead of wondering if a Pokerstars programmer is trying to communicate with me through sickness. Don't want to jinx it but don't seem to escalate to anger, hope it keeps up :).

S

SatisfyMe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not for everyone no matter how hard you try to stay on the religion course of playing holy poker. My best advice is to limit your playing time to the point when you start drifting off into the donkey lane.:icon_puke