Mental game

DaIr8882

DaIr8882

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mental game is by fair the most important skill in poker. The mental game can turn a huge winning player in the biggest fish at the table. The mental game is also by fair the hardest skill to learn. Years of core beliefs are all wrapped up in the mental game. How is your mental game? Do you find your self upset at the tables? Self awareness is going to be very important to determine this. What is causing this massive down swing? In order to remedy the problem, you first have to determine what the problem is. If you are splashing chip around the poker table because you are tilted, learning more poker fundamentals is not going to help you out. The opposite is also true. If you have a great mental game but lack the skill required to win, then focusing on poker fundamentals would be the correct course of action for your poker game

What games are you playing? Do you have tracking software? If so some stats could shine some light on the situation

I forgot to mention bankroll management. This probably is the most important thing. You can be Daniel Negreanu and go broke with out proper bankroll management. If you go broke you can not play. Does not matter how good you are.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What is mental game and what is skill for you? For me the mental game is strictly ourselves mind control, skill is our capability to watch, analize, create nee solutions and take the best decisions. So I think we have to regard the knowledge that is our mind library about everything we have memorized.
I began my post with that question because when talking about poker people use expressions with ethmological errors. It turns our communication harder.
Good question
GG
GL

Last edited:
Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good question and good answer guys
let's continue the discussion
It will be interesting to read thoughts about this

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There,
One point to stress: You ability to deal with dcception
You can be the best player in town
But when you lose to a 23 or 45 with AAs in hand and Allin, you have to deal with your emotions to that very carefully and surpass your sense of losing
Thats very difficult
In the same way happens with the numebr one team in any sports who loses
a game with a large diference of points
You simply do not believe or understand
Rgds

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have been playing poker for over 10 years. For me, it is a hobby that makes a profit. I am convinced that anyone can become a successful player if they are patient and disciplined enough in the long run. Personally, I spent about 5-6 years playing and training before starting to make a profit.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I play poker only for my own pleasure. Therefore, I believe that free time and good mood is the key to good leisure.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
To become a successful poker player ... you need to have great skills, but you also need the mental aspect ... it is not easy to overcome after losing a premium hand against a marginal hand ... (example AA vrs. 97s) if you don't have a mental control of emotions ... you can end up losing everything ... or get eliminated from a tournament ...!

P

Procli

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Last couple of months i have been thinking more about this subject - The Mental Game!

When i am a big favourite in all inn situations and they suck out bigtime i just nod my head and roll my eyes and go to the next hand... haha! :)

But lately i have been haveing these bad thoughts before an all inn situation... like i know im going to loose... and just keep on thinking of which hands they have that crushes me (and if its a flip i "know im going to loose")

Anyone have the same issue.. and what to do about it?

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker in my opinion is a mixed game that mixes skill with the game's bad luck.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that mastering the mental game is that we are still playing our A-game after several badbeats in a row. Badbeats are inevitable - we have no control over it - but we control our behavior when they arrive.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mental game is important!
I find playing a freeroll schedule as well as serious buy in tournaments,cash and spins and mixing it up changing sites and types of poker throw in the odd bit of Omaha or other games helps.
Gets fierce boring and draining mentally playing the same old type of game day in and day out especially if on a serious downswing.

Top 10 Games