Many hours played affect your game?

Z

zkmena

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I start to play before lunch and stop only playing at dinner time , but when I think I'm doing well I just turn the night playing poker. I realize that the night games seem to get harder . I wonder if this might be because I played a lot after hours or if it really is difficult to play in night. What do you think?

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think it is because the game of poker is getting harder for you during the evening time

Remember Poker is a game of VARIANCE

Yes, if you put in long hours, you will start to make mistakes

When you are feeling tired, it is time to call it quits

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure, long hours can affect the game.. but night stuff also depends on where it's a rush time during your night.. is there more europeans? russians? canadians? brazilians? did you tried to start playing at night to see if you can have a good session?

I know players who can't play with a day light, others who wake up at 2am because they want to play with players from a specific country because this is with them they are playing their best game..

-TRP-

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that night exists to relax and play well during the day !!! it is quite likely that you are just tired, playing a lot during the day !!! if you want to win the night, then you need to sleep during the day !!! in any case, if you are tired then you will not be able to play, showing an optimal result !!!

TheniT

TheniT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I play for twelve hours a day, I know this is a lot and I realize that with the passing of the hours I'm losing concentration.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play for a long time it is absolutely normal to be tired at the end and this to affect your concentration. Regarding the night play - for most people it is more difficult to play at night even when they are fresh because naturally night is time for sleep. I personally do not have such problem as i have worked many years on night shifts and i can easily switch but for most people it is a problem.

It is always good idea to only play till you are still relatively fresh because otherwise it is more likely to make mistakes. If you can play for 8 hours or more and still perform well then do it. I personally can not maintain concentration for more than 5 or 6 hours maximum but hope to get better in future.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most I have ever played online is about 4 hours. I have played up to 6 hours live. I am going to play in the Colossus in June, and if I am lucky enough to survive to day 2, that would mean about 10½ to 11 hours at the tables. I have no clue if I can handle that much in one sitting, but I hope to enjoy trying it....and yes, I do find that I make really stupid decisions when I am tired.

N

narc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's the same with me, when I spend hours playing start playing in loser mode! We must have limit!

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sure play too much affects our poker game.
Daniel Negreanu already said this is the number one mistake rookie poker players make.
Here is what Negreanu wrote in one of his books about playing too many hours:

"Your brain just doesn't function well after spending very long stretches siting at the table. Rather than getting some rest, and coming back fresh the next day, most beginners end up playing too many hours to chase their money back. In the process, they end up throwing away even more.
Your mind plays tricks on you after so many hours, and will often convince yourself that you're playing well. Chances are, you're not."

naydanazar

naydanazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I start to play before lunch and stop only playing at dinner time , but when I think I'm doing well I just turn the night playing poker. I realize that the night games seem to get harder . I wonder if this might be because I played a lot after hours or if it really is difficult to play in night. What do you think?

Well, for me, night is the most productive time for poker:evil:

L

livyst123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can go either way cause the longer you do something the more info is loaded into your ram of your brain but you also could become more impatient due to heavy losses so depends.

D

dreamwalker3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my opinion your brain ahould be most relaxed i found this after i wake up...also if i am tilted...i immediately quit...i can not control my monkey brain

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Fatigue affects the game. But that's what we, poker lovers, play in any conditions :))

S

sergo1203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played for 24 hours. excitement !!!

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
When I play I am ready to play what I have chozen. It is natural a fatigue after hours of game. I do not play for the same hours every day. Usually I am very well till the end of every day's session.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Yes I think this can affect the way you play, even poker books recommend to stop playing after a certain time of playing I think that we have to manage time better to play better and have better earnings.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think can will be ok to try poker in different part of the day/night in order to figure for yourself when to play with more fishes.
For sure after several hours of playing its normal to make some mistakes.

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think long sessions could affect concentration so you make more mistakes but still i think if you are running good no matter how long the session is you will be in profit

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think 5 to 6 is maximum for me at this point.

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I can't play for many hours ,I get tired .For me 4 hours it's what I can handle i

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the day for me. Often I can stay sharp for 7-8 hours at a time. Sometimes I just get sick of it after 2 hours, hopefully on those days I didn't sign up for a MTT and was just playing SNG's or jackpot games. I think it's key to get up during all breaks and walk away from the screen. Get some water, step outside, whatever it may be just get on your feet and away from the screen.

Top 10 Games