Main Event Color

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay. I didn't want to be cruel and title this thread by the name of the person I am singling out, here, but I would like to take a poll on whether or not you find Joe Stapleton funny at these events. Personally, I think they could do better--but that's just me. I don't have anything personal;y against him, just don't get his humor.

So, for those of you watching, do you find Joe Stapleton to be funny or entertaining at the main event? That's the simple question, here.

J

Joonnn1212

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy Joe but I can certainly see that his humor is not for everyone. He is at least a character with personality and I think that is good for bringing in more people to poker. Someone who is new to the game could easily be bored watching poker coverage where the players are all silent, but an entertaining commentator can pique the interest of new viewers.

A

aj1300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I am not a fan of his humor or the bits they either put together for him or he puts together for himself.

Some people enjoy his humor...each to their own, I suppose.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah. Watching today's coverage and a minute or two segment on free food with him eating a condiment package, maybe relish. Now that's comedy--NOT.

But, oh well, to each his own, I suppose...

T

thackro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once in a while he hits it out of the park, but then again he swings and misses a little too often. I must admit I kinda like him, can't deny he tries hard.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
He hasn't been as funny, this year, as he was a few years ago.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think he's great on the EPT broadcasts. But that is just him talking, with a great straight man. He has lots of Sci Fi Geek references, and the "bits" are about poker with lots of (funny) jokes.

When he does the wsop, it's more like prop comedy. He does these "man on the street" absurdist skits with somewhat willing and slighty baffled "guests". I haven't caught up on yesterday or today's coverage, but what I've so far this year has been pretty bad. Bad as it has been, it has not been nearly as bad as last year.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^mtl mile end^ Great analysis. In fairness to J.S., I am only talking about what I am witnessing at the main event. The specific mention of 'prop comedy' is spot on and probably what I find to be less than funny.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, the latest is JS pulling an empty water bottle out of a trash can and going into the bathroom to clean it out and then reuse.

...I've got nothing.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I watch the main event later, off my recorder. I skip over anything that is not part of the action at the tables. On top of that, I am usually playing something else on my tablet, so I hardly hear the commentary.

Therefore, I have no comment on Joe or any other commentator.

magnumite

magnumite

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally when I first started watching pokerstars series like monte carlo and other EPT series I found him god awful, I kept wondering why no one was in the comments trashing him. But as I have watched poker for longer, he's grown on me! I don't mind him at all anymore and find him funny some times. I think it's mainly whoever is telling him to do these prop jokes and stupid bits that is at fault, not him.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, it looks like JS does have his supporters, which is a good thing. I think for me the expression that comes to mind is, "trying to hard." Still, I began by saying I have nothing personal against him and I meant it. I'll end with wishing him and his family well. Thank you for those who participated.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay. I didn't want to be cruel and title this thread by the name of the person I am singling out, here, but I would like to take a poll on whether or not you find Joe Stapleton funny at these events. Personally, I think they could do better--but that's just me. I don't have anything personal;y against him, just don't get his humor.

So, for those of you watching, do you find Joe Stapleton to be funny or entertaining at the main event? That's the simple question, here.

I'm in the Stapleton camp for one. I do think it's a certain kind of humor that some people wouldn't enjoy but i like it. I saw in a previous post (and agree with ) that sometimes the break from watching nine guys staring at each other is a welcome distraction. I actually like the whole crew at wsop. I know it's not known for it's poker analysis but they have comical takes on what's happening. And Joe had a poker cash game show on this year where the blinds were 5-5 and it had different celebrity guests playing. My wife doesn't watch or play poker but she watched every episode with me and enjoyed Joe's humor and the guests. I think he's good for the game.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yeah I think Joe's a good addition to the WSOP team. I love watching the events and really like all the people they get to work on their team. I do agree that his humors not for everyone but it works for me. Any body who does like him should check out his show he had it's a 5-5 cash game with different celebrities every week. My wife doesn't play or usually watch poker but she watched it every week with me. She really liked Joe as well along with the guests and their often times ridiculous conversations. I think he's definitely good for the game.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread was dormant for quite awhile. I am satisfied that JS has his following. His skits are still not my taste but that's the nature of humor. Anyway, I did enjoy the rest of the crew providing coverage at the WSOP--both TV and streaming. I agree that the coverage of the event does benefit from a little lightening up from time to time to help break up the monotony.

Last edited: