Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Good afternoon friends....
I make this post to know your opinions.
I firmly believe that luck in poker is a very necessary resource, but in turn very dangerous to use as a game system.
I await your opinions.
regards:)

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Brain is a must in poker in my opinion, but also there is a certain point sometimes where you have to be lucky specially in situations where u can double up your tournament chips to take the lead in a tournament.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
When you play poker, luck can only work for you in the short term ... since suddenly you can win a big jackpot with a marginal hand ... but luck does not apply when you play for long periods ... that's when you need of your brain to establish a good strategy that will allow you to win in the long term ...!

L

Lestniy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck or skill - what is more important? Playing one tournament or moving all your chips in one particular hand - of course much more important LUCK! In all of the educational book and video says that the SKILL is primary. BUT it will only play a role over a long distance. And it's funny - this distance is getting longer every year... Here and now, in this moment - only luck is important!

Good luck at the poker tables!

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
luck is more important than the decisions that can be made in a tournament. of course it helps a lot to use your brain and respect the rules of poker, but in the end even if you are a good player. You will be forced to win some flip during the game to reach your goal. At the beginning of the game the chance counts for 20% but at the end of the game it goes to 60%. The brain is good for defending itself but with luck no one can stop you.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Better lucky than good.

Sadly you can't choose to be lucky so in the long run the smarter/better player wins. Or should win.

The "problem" is that this is always true if we have an infinitive amount of time.

So in say big live tournaments (like the wsop) the long run can be longer than a human life span.

So on the sides of the bell curve there are some people that almost never win in this type of events and on the other hand there are people that win several times (like Phil Hellmuth).

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
This thread reminds me of a quote by Jesse May

"Poker is a combination of luck and skill. People think mastering the skill part is hard, but they’re wrong. The trick to poker is mastering the luck."

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
been much research about the controversy: skill versus variance (politically correct term for luck)
when i commence study poker i review various research studies on this subject

is all dependent on amount of hands...
less hands, more luck involved
more hands, skill come into equation greater

at least 1500 poker hands need be played then skill makes a impact
in same environment

makes sense huh?
if i play 50 hands against say Hugh or ChicoPaw, is possible i victorius
if i play 2000 hands against, i lose big time, as they have lots more skill than me

i even purchase a book, how to make more luck, by Dr. Stephen Simpson, mind coach of Chris Moorman, Liv Boree and other world class athletes (so far no help me much lol)
right now i reading a book in german, named "if i win its skill - if you win its luck"
i think that is the best answer to your question LieDust?

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes of course, the variance in favor is required. But the point is that most of the time it is possible to control the game with skill.
Poker is really a game that can be played.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that the success of any player depends primarily on his skills. Therefore, I always try to count on my skills and experience but not luck.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that the more you understand the game on the finite/statistical level the more you accept a loss when our Vil gets lucky against us.

The better we become on a skill level the more often our opponents will get lucky against us. We will notice when we get it in, we are getting it in with the better part. We will almost always be on the better part of the equity advatage. While also less chance we need to get lucky to win. Instead Vil is forced to get lucky to beat us.

So with that said, frist step of being a good poker player is to know when we are getting it in good. Then the next step is accepting the fact that we got it in good, and loss to a cooler, or a bad run out. While not letting it effect our mindset or game.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good luck is always and everywhere needed. But in poker you cannot rely only on luck. I always look at my odds on the table and adjust the game even by the importance of the tournament.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to have brains to play poker, but luck comes and goes, it's not something to rely on and you can play without it, by I guess there's no fun in that

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many people say that poker is a game of skill. But luck, really affects the result. I think, even if you play a long distance, the factor of luck plays a big role.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Only the right decisions will help you become a successful poker player, but a little luck will never be superfluous)))

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the first place in poker is the experience of mastery of knowledge and luck is needed only closer to the final table
luck plays a big role in the lottery
only a small fraction of poker

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course the winner is on the side of the brain! There can be no question of luck! Only cool calculation! It is not called luck, or the opposite of failure, it is called an ACCIDENT! Randomness depends on your factors! How prepared you are, what you ate, what you drank, in what physical and psychological terms you are! Your CHANCE depends on it! If we say so before the game you SMOKED, then your CHANCE falls almost to Zero! Because the brain doesn't have enough oxygen to process the data, so if you don't get it or something doesn't come, it's your fault. Good luck and bad luck only for those who are afraid to take responsibility! Good luck and bad luck for irresponsible and not smart people!

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As the saying goes ....

Its better to be lucky then good !

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Without the brain, and understanding of the game, good luck powerless.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good afternoon friends....
I make this post to know your opinions.
I firmly believe that luck in poker is a very necessary resource, but in turn very dangerous to use as a game system.
I await your opinions.
regards:)

If you think luck plays such a huge role this will make you rethink that.

https://www.gamblingsites.org/blog/annette-obrestads-no-look-poker-challenge-can-it-help-you/

She won a tournament without looking at any of her hands.

This wouldn't apply at the highest stakes. But if your competition is soft there is ample opportunity to use your positional advantage + agression to get ahead, completely ignoring what your hole cards are.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Luck is undoubtedly important but not decisive. Player skills are more important. I think the ratio of skills to luck is 80/20.
Good luck.

Gloria_Legenda

Gloria_Legenda

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I choose luck. After all, fools are lucky =)