Luck or Skill: Which is More Important?

cheapseats76

cheapseats76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The two go hand in hand. There is no player in this world that could go through a tourney solely on skill and win it let alone even make the money. At some point in a tournament your going to need luck to either catch a card or miss some cards. Good luck on the felts!

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is 98.5% luck, 1.5% skill! Mathematically we should be able to calculate this easily.

For math we use following values: average pot size 11bb, hero vpip 22%, winrate 3bb/100 is also our definition of winning player, 6 max, rake 5%
Hero plays 22 hands per 100, during that time he wins 3bb+rake = wintot = 3.55 bb/100

On average hero needs to win 3.55 bb/22 per played hand = 0.161364 bb/hand

To win this hero needs to have equity edge:
eqedge*11bb=0.161364 bb\hand -> eqedge= 0.014669

So per hand we get EV=(EVwin-EVlose)=(0.5+0.014669/2)*11bb-(0.5-0.014669/2)*11bb = 0.161364 bb as we should.

If our hero is the ultimate grinder his win rate is 12bb/100 and for him its:
95% luck, 5% skill

Sonny87

Sonny87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i think skill is more important,and with a bit of luck theres no stopping. They go hand in hand.

D

Davlic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think no luck in any way, but it should be the ability. to lucky person out of luck)))

K

Kkingpoker30

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think that in poker play role. skill 70% luck%

C

Chadbrantley

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely agree there is a lil bit of both. But there needs to be a lil more skill then luck I believe the luck part flows with the skill and people think there lucky when the odds are in there favor jus play smart and don't let yourself get bluffed to many times sometimes you gotta jus light fire

grinya774

grinya774

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck in poker is important, but skill is more important.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck AND Skill, which I do not posess any lately..LOL

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Skill is a bigger deal, that is why there are few long term winning players

eueu

eueu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion one does not live without the other. You can be very skillful and not reach the finals of all the tournaments you play.

itarus

itarus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker - it is a struggle the probabilities with luck!

kenzohim

kenzohim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If online luck more important
, if live game skill! Also luck just period of time !
Skill = ur whole life !

K

Kizani

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
skill is the only important thing, you will get lucky as much as your opponents but the problem in online poker is so called "action floop", u can look it up and it will be way easier to understand when you shouldnt depend on luck

K

kapos77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
I wish I had 100% of luck, but it won't happen so the skill is more important, but there is no point in skills without piece of luck

iriska

iriska

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you do not have the patience in long tournaments, then the only hope for good luck

ritmos

ritmos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check out my latest blog on the link below and let me know if you think luck or skill is more important for success in tournament poker.

Without luck at poker, and especially at online poker, it is impossible to achieve success!!!
Skill is very important for success, but without luck you will be only good loser.:smile:

SAVag

SAVag

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Certainly in the first place is the ability to play. The ability to sense, know the game, know how to evaluate your hand on every street, the ability to make the correct rates, etc. Luck is also an important part of poker. But that is secondary. When a player understands the game, knows what moments it is necessary to engage in the struggle for the bank, it is often the impression that he was lucky.

negreanu answer easy

Yes, in the movie "Kid Poker" Negreanu gives the answer to this question. When talking about his acquaintance with poker, it says that at first I thought that it is all the thing is luck, but then I began to notice that often winnings the same people, and I thought - what is wrong here not so....

Last edited:
S

subsinind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sit n Go - skill
MTT - more skill , less luck but you would get lucky 20% of the times with your all ins so choose wisely

Cash game - if all your opponents are well bankrolled then LUCK, else Skill.

kenzohim

kenzohim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol if every hands you get A's ,you will lose .At
that time skill is useless. But its not possible..... I need some luck too

I

ivanbbb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is only a mystic! It does not exist! It is human imagination! Poker is a skill, work, work! But no luck in poker!

J

jokr23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill is needed for tournaments. However luck does play a role to a degree.

A

Aguirre019

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Aguirre1995

Sempre jogo da forma mais agressiva possível, então além da habilidade a sorte sempre ajuda, ainda mais no river 😎😀