Liedust

Liedust

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello, I have a very simple question for which I would very much like to know your opinion. How important is luck in poker? 100% what percentage would you give? I particularly think that luck is an important factor but it cannot be used as a game system. I await your opinions. Bye.:jd4::driver:

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I have a very simple question for which I would very much like to know your opinion. How important is luck in poker? 100% what percentage would you give? I particularly think that luck is an important factor but it cannot be used as a game system. I await your opinions. Bye.:jd4::driver:

It's not really important how lucky or unlucky we are, in the sense of your hands holding up. It's most important how we respond to "luck."

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I like the quote that says "luck is when preparation meets opportunity" so if one is well prepared and knowing what to do in each situation like folding big hands or extracting more chips from an opponent, actually this is a part of luck.
There's some tournaments or sessions where you are card dead but if we consider the sessions where you're in rush and the normals ones, mathematically I think it's balanced. I also think that math beats the luck in poker.. There's hand equity, there's outs, every hand could be the best at show down but how you play it will determine if you are in the winning side.

rustixxx

rustixxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If you were born in this life, then you are already a successful person, And everything else is unimportant, everything depends on you on your actions and based on this, your world changes. And about poker, just play take a chance and if you understand, poker brings you luck or not

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at the start of the game luck counts for 20%. on the other hand, at the end of the game, this percentage increases to 60%. this is why it is advisable to play with max hands and reduce the effect of the variance on your game.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at the start of the game luck counts for 20%. on the other hand, at the end of the game, this percentage increases to 60%. this is why it is advisable to play with max hands and reduce the effect of the variance on your game.

This thread started by asking a simple question in theory, but has no known association to a mathematical percentage. Really like for you to explain the 20% to 60%, that is new to me? My perception of luck is a "two way street", it is going to go both ways. In saying that, it shouldn't be a factor besides timing. You would hate to be on the bubble with A A and it gets cracked right? Guess you could say bad luck right? You played it correctly, isolated to get an 80% chance to win. Those are odds any poker player would want.

Everyone has won hands they shouldn't, come from behind and saved on the river. Those are the ones most don't talk about. Give and take to everything in life, unlucky at times and came out good on others. Not sure if that is data that can be quantified or if is worth trying too. We have find victory in making the correct call and not the results.

Last edited:
Pammypoo

Pammypoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
luck matters to me

Personally I think my game can't thrive if it doesn't have luck..Thats because Im not a very good player..but for people who are really good....luck or no luck they eventually take home the chips. Does that make sense?:star:

S

Sebarios59

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is a factor with which we have to learn to live together, as they said many times we lose because of "bad luck" but many other times we were the lucky ones. Luck always accompanies the best.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you were born in this life, then you are already a successful person, And everything else is unimportant, everything depends on you on your actions and based on this, your world changes. And about poker, just play take a chance and if you understand, poker brings you luck or not

Exactly! :)

I'm happy for you, you get it.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is luck in poker. But you can’t rely solely on luck; everything will return to its place at a distance. But for this you need to play a lot and stably, and naturally relying on theory and a lot of practice.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
personally I dont believe in luck. It is all statistics an 80% hand wins 80% of the time. You just want to be on the right side of statistics when you get your chips in. The only luck I see in poker is when you are lucky enough to sit down at a table full of people that you know or can easily read.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! You can assure that patience and skill will always be at their best, but if your set raises on the same pair and the turn and river bring the villain a full house and this continues for a long time and you lose your stack, you can’t but agree that the day is bad and it’s better not to play. Sincerely, Sergey.

E

essimicke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name

;)

B

BART777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is important everywhere, not just in poker. I think in poker luck is even less important than in life. But the whole point of luck is that she can 't be relied upon.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This thread started by asking a simple question in theory, but has no known association to a mathematical percentage. Really like for you to explain the 20% to 60%, that is new to me? My perception of luck is a "two way street", it is going to go both ways. In saying that, it shouldn't be a factor besides timing. You would hate to be on the bubble with A A and it gets cracked right? Guess you could say bad luck right? You played it correctly, isolated to get an 80% chance to win. Those are odds any poker player would want.

Everyone has won hands they shouldn't, come from behind and saved on the river. Those are the ones most don't talk about. Give and take to everything in life, unlucky at times and came out good on others. Not sure if that is data that can be quantified or if is worth trying too. We have find victory in making the correct call and not the results.

he role of luck in poker is an eternal debate. Let us be clear right away, the more we are good, the more the share of luck decreases. at the start of the game a beginner will be more likely to make bad decisions and will be more exposed to luck. he will pay regardless of odds and touch his card when a reg has folded. luck intervenes in this game but only in the short term. In the long run, the player who relies heavily on his luck will see much of his chips and his bankroll lose. for my part I prefer to play by considering the following elements. probabilities, calculating odds and outs, reading tells, game psychology and experience. to quote Doyle Brunson Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. on the other hand at the end of the game when the blinds really increase and your stack is limited. you are much more vulnerable to variance. in this context I will cite the paradox of heads or tails. In theory, you have exactly a 50% luck of falling on a pile and a 50% luck of falling on a coin. However, it is extremely unlikely that you will get alternately heads then heads then heads in your draws. Let us calculate for example the probability of obtaining the alternative result heads / heads / heads after 3 throws.

You throw the coin: 1 in 2 luck of falling on the pile
You raise it: 1 in 2 luck of falling on face
You raise it: 1 in 2 luck of falling on the pile

So you only have a 1 in 8 luck of seeing this sequence happen. We can thus quantify the luck of falling alternately on a pile then on the face: ½ power n, n being the number of times you throw the coin. The luck of getting a perfect set of flips / flip flops / flop decrease exponentially depending on the number of throws in the coin. In poker, your AK has a 50% luck of defeating your opponent's pair of 33. We call these coin flips. precisely, tossing coins in the air with heads or tails. Theoretically, 50% of the time you hit heads and 50% of the time on heads. But concretely, you will know lucky cycles of the pile / pile / pile type 3 coinflips won and other unlucky cycles like face / face / face 3 coinflips lost. Having said that in practice, if you throw the coin in the air an infinite number of times, you will get very very close to 50% stack and 50% total face.

Last edited:
D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest, I'm not sure which percentage would be correct to mention in this context..for sure, luck plays a certain role in poker, mainly in terms of how the board comes. As an example: In a freeroll, final table, I got QQ. Another Player had AKo - goes allin, I call. Board included AA, giving him trips. Next, I got AKo. I go allin, another Player calls with JJ. Board offers me nothing, so I lost here as well. Sometimes you loose, sometimes you win..that's why I believe, even being super skilled and careful as a poker Player, if it is not your day, you can't force it. Saw even a guy like D. Negreanu walk out of a big Event quite earlier, because of bad luck in Terms of how the board came.

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is important everywhere, not just in poker. I think in poker luck is even less important than in life. But the whole point of luck is that she can 't be relied upon.
No offense, Bart, but Luck is not something you can Rely on. As for, in Life: Psalms 118:8 "Put your trust in The LORD, don't put confidence in man." No mention of reliance on Luck. For those whom may choose to not believe, note that "What goes up, Must come down". The Law Of Gravity is a Law that is not seen, however, it' existence is unarguably true. So is GOD. He created The Law of Gravity. Stick to Intuition, it too comes from GOD. GOD bless you all.

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No offense, Bart, but Luck is not something you can Rely on. As for, in Life: Psalms 118:8 "Put your trust in The LORD, don't put confidence in man." No mention of reliance on Luck. For those whom may choose to not believe, note that "What goes up, Must come down". The Law Of Gravity is a Law that is not seen, however, it' existence is unarguably true. So is GOD. He created The Law of Gravity. Stick to Intuition, it too comes from GOD. GOD bless you all.

Sorry, Bart, you are Right, Luck is unreliable.

Y

yanslad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to put a percentage on it. But yes, it's is there and that's what makes poker amazing. It's a game where because of luck professionals can be defeated by beginners.
Still playing a solid poker, taking the best decisions (+EV) almost not making any mistake, the variance will definitely find you
I just finished a tournament were I barely made mistake, it was 5000 field and only 390 left.. my position was 52°.. got KK on the button (what a dream) UTG raises JJ I 3-bet and big blind who was short stack shove Q9s ... UTG go all in and I go all in as well... It happens the worst case scenario flop J94 (UTG has a set, beating my KK) turn 8 river 2 completing the straight of the big blind 89TJQ... Nothing left for me and GG. What were the odd you might ask... On pokerlab, the odds were 80% win to KK 10% to JJ and 10% to Q9s... And still.. no ITM for me today. Sad but true LoL

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Bad luck can be important, good luck does not exist. Good luck is actually skill. Don't believe me ask anyone benefiting therefrom. :)

Benkisto_BR

Benkisto_BR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not really important how lucky or unlucky we are. Luck is not something you can Rely on. It's is there and that's what makes poker amazing.

R

rmcmullen2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One professional player said that if it was not for luck that they would win almost every hand that they vpip, or something like that.

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you played live tournaments I would say that it could be 70% skill and knowledge against 30% luck. In online poker and more in pokerstars, things radically change to 20% skill versus 80% luck. Unfortunately these pages have been proposed to earn more money than to make a more logical and strategic game.

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While I'm willing to accept the premise that skill in poker will eventually outweigh luck and variance, I wonder how big of a sample size it takes for the skill to shine through. Whatever advantage exists for the so-called skilled player seems, at best, to be marginal, almost infinitesimal.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without a doubt, luck is an important factor in everything, both in poker and in personal life. But I believe that your skills and experience will always be crucial.